• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dynasty Warriors (Looking for Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I am creating a Dynasty Warriors Map based on the Battle of You Ting. This is where the forces of Wu and Wei clash and historically Wu uses superior strategy to defeat Wei.

Gameplay:
Players of both teams will choose a General or Officer from that battle and be given a small army. Each Player will receive a Gate Captain which will spawn additional units periodically. Gate Captains can be captured to give your team an advantage. Heroes will be start out with a weapon (item) which can be powered up (+atk spd, +atk , +Def) which each level you gain you will get a skill point to upgrade your weapon with one the above mentioned attributes. In order to win you must Defeat (Kill) the enemy commander.

Addons:
Certain Ambushes may be triggered, A morale bar will be built in and the higher your morale the harder your men will fight (A global aura). Powerups will be random drops which will temporary increase movement speed, attack, defense as in the game.

What I have done:

-Terrain
-Have custom models for heroes.
-Implemented all Wu Forces / Coding to choose General, Army.
-Have coded the Gate Captain Spawns
-Coded the Victory Conditions
-Made The Weapon level up system
-Made the glows for the Temporary power ups
(Ex: Glow Hero Red for Attack x2), but need system to calculate the attack raise.
-Custom sound sets from the game for heroes.

Wishlist:

-Custom Unique spells for every hero.
-Smart Ai for non selected armies.

Team:

-Need Coders
-Need Spellmakers

Although those are the main vacancies Anybody can join!

My Sketch
youting.png

Put into World Editor
Overview.png

Close Ups of Terrain
WuBase.png

SmallVillage.png

Models
Wei.png

Wu.png

Last edited:
Level 31
For this kind of map, there are some complexities you aren't accounting for. For example, with Morale, you are applying it all all units across the map (same Morale). Remember, Dynasty Warriors has territories set up (the map is split into sections). Furthermore, each general and the troops under that general have morale. Morale is modified by combat, enemies, territory, and events. Simply having 1 territory for the entire map destroys virtually all strategy that you may have in the game. To do a good Morale system, you are going to need a talented coder. I personally have a Morale system written, but I'm sadly not going to share it ; \.

Having spells goes away from Dynasty Warriors and goes towards wc3. Rather than spells, have tactics.

Having control of all of the units goes away from Dynasty Warriors and towards wc3. Rather than having control of all units, have a command system to issue orders to units within the vicinity of your hero. Furthermore, keep the screen locked to the hero. Yes, the Empires series lets you issue orders to all generals across the map, but that could be improved to using things like messengers.

Having control of gates for reinforcements is good, but what about forts? Forts are an integral part of Dynasty Warriors as they allow you to control territories and distribute troops/supplies to those territories.

It just doesn't sound like you put that much thought into this map.

Level 5
What do you mean split up into sections, are you referring to empires? This is a map from DW3, Forts didn't spawn units until DW6 I don't think. And there are different parts of the map there is the 3 forts of wei.

What kind of tactics would you suggest?

I thought maybe like a "block technique" that would have like a idk 10 second cool down and when activated would absorb damage (like mana shield).

I just thought it would be interesting to add in spells, but by spells I am going to base them off certain combos for example Dian Wei in his musou throws his axe followed by a gust of wind in a parabola shape and this would cost musou which you gain by attacking, getting attacked, wine jars.

I would like a good camera system and control units in the vicinity and that thought did come across my mind but I think i'll make like different modes in my map. One being like that.

I'm also going to try to make units walk in squads like in the game.

My Sketch
youting.png

Put into World Editor
Overview.png

Close Ups of Terrain
WuBase.png

SmallVillage.png

Models
Wei.png

Wu.png

Level 31
Bro, each battlefield is split up into different sections that are controlled by the fort of each section (castle, siege, etc).The forts are taken over by killing the leaders of those forts (captains or w/e). Reinforcements in earlier versions were dictated by gates, but the battlefield has always been split up into different territories, that has never changed. You can just look at the minimap at the red/blue/white to see the outlines and you can look at the arrows pointing from fort to fort to see how they are connected.

Level 31
You are now constraining yourself to Dynasty Warriors too much. Before, you were ruining it with wc3 and now you are just copying it.

Instead of copying Dynasty Warriors, take it and improve upon it. Don't mix it weirdly with warcraft 3, rather expand upon it and figure out how to fit it into the warcraft 3 game as a map. That's what will make a truly great map.

Did you ever consider what happens to a general's morale when they enter enemy territory? It goes down to 0. Why not give 0 morale to units that are cut off from allied territory? Give them a boost if they are in allied territory. Give them nothing if they are in a neutral zone (area connected to both allied and enemy lands).

It just doesn't seem like you are ready to make this map atm. Go back to the drawing board and put something together that is really meaningful. Don't worry with figuring out how to code/implement it all, just do what you feel will be an awesome and amazing game. Remember, something that is too complex is not going to be any fun at all, it needs to be simple enough for new players to get into and have a lot of fun with. At the same time, it needs to be difficult to master so that the players will want to continue to play it over and over again. Furthermore, the gameplay should be very open-ended (lots and lots and lots of different possibilities on the map). Limiting yourself to a specific map from Dynasty Warriors may not be a good idea, you should try to take the genre and improve it with what you think is awesome =). Spells aren't necessarily bad, it was just the way that you were doing them that was bad. You were twisting Dynasty Warriors into an abomination of a mix between wc3 and DW.

I do have a map that is well laid out (29 pages of designs) that follows in the DW theme and improves upon it drastically. I also have a lot of systems written for it (the most complex of the systems) and c++ code in order to analyze terrain and link territories up in vjass. However, I'm not going to share any of this with you as you'd just end up copying it. Come up with your own vision for what you think would be good for the game =).

If you don't think that the morale idea is a good one for the territories, come up with a better one. I personally use like 15 different stats, one of them being morale.

For you, I'd personally recommend a simpler game. Think back to old war games before dynasty warriors. You could even go with an AoS theme that is influenced by Dynasty Warriors.

As you get more experienced with coming up with game concepts that flow together, you can then move to making more complicated games =).

I recommend that you create all of your plans for the game (all of the gameplay stuff). Put your plans into the Ideas section in order to get feedback for it and see what people think. If you get a lot of support, get a terrainer to make the map. Believe me, it is much easier to work on a game when you have the terrain for it. Also, get a coder to work on the systems. You can go with GUI, but I really don't recommend that if you want to do a very top notch map.

Level 5
No disrespect but first you said I was too wc3 then now im too dw based and then you said I was a dw wc3 weird mesh i'm a bit confused what your leaning towards.

So your saying don't copy a battle from the game but perhaps something that was in history but not covered in the game?

I plan on not limiting it to this battle but make several battles (maps) and linking them with save codes for certain items you get from defeating generals. (obviously if stats were saved it would be imbalanced.)

I like your idea of when a unit enters enemy territory its at disadvantage. Gives more tactical aspects to the game.

Level 31
At the first, you were mixing wc3 with DW, which is why I said too wc3. Now you are going pure DW, so you are too DW. You moved from one extreme to the other =P.

I'm saying do 0 wc3 and expand on DW ; ). Don't just copy it, improve it ;p.

Now that wc3 really only works on Windows OS, you can do save/load systems like in SC2 where you don't have codes. I should probably finish that resource up now that it's a very viable option.

So, step back a bit, work on every aspect of gameplay. Come up with the units, come up with the tactics, come up with the battlefields and so on. Once you do that, go to the Ideas section and get feedback. After that, start recruitment.

Right now it sounds like a project that isn't well planned and that won't succeed at all, so ofc nobody's going to join it ; |.

If you want people to help you, you need to get them excited about the project. You need to get them to want to play the finished game.

Status
Not open for further replies.