• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dwarven Barracks (WOTR style)

This is the model of the Dwarven Barracks inspired by the Dwarven Hall from the War of the Ring game.

Updated:

- Textures changed to native WC3.
- Edited basement geometry in order to avoid sharp angles.
- Edited front towers.
- Better align to center.
Previews
Contents

Dwarven Barracks (WOTR style) (Model)

Dwarven Barracks Icon (Icon)

Reviews
General Frank
Works in-game, performs appropriately and is a good addition to the model section.
Level 2
I am full of nostalgia right now.

I was 17 apparently when I joined this site. I had been making my own little maps in warcraft III for a while when I found this site. When I finished high school I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life (I never have), I spent 2 years doing a study I didn't care for because I had to do something.

It was then that a friends mother offered the idea of studying game design. An idea that never occurred to me but really struck me, after all, I spent more time customizing maps and characters than I ever did playing games. A new game design course had started up in my country just one year earlier, one of the first of its kind.
I applied, and by some miracle, got in in 2007.

Years passed and I made many mistakes, when I HAVE to do something it loses it's shine for me and I stopped making Warcraft III maps, and stopped doing schoolwork in general. I'd maybe do one course in a year.
Girlfriends came and went, and so did depressions. I'd do nothing for several years, then suddenly do an entire year of schoolwork in 1 year.

I am now finally finishing, don't ask me how I managed to take 11 years, I have no clue. But here I am, working on finally finishing it, when a strange urge pops into my head. I was wondering why I had never made a model for warcraft III, I couldn't do it before starting the education, it should be trivially easy of course now, but for some reason, I had never attempted to import my own models into warcraft III, there was never an overlap where I was both making models, and still enjoying playing with the warcraft III editor.

So I open up the editor on a whim, and google which file extensions are used by the editor, when this site pops up.

This site that I had not seen in over a decade, that I had presumed gone, a relic from the early days of games and the internet.

And they are still posting...and I can still log in...

This is like finding an old house that you used to call home, with all the friends still there.

Thanks everyone for this feeling, this feels nice.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
(Borked in the viewer, so thanks for the pics)

Dang, pretty cool. We don't see a whole lot of Dwarven architecture here, unfortunately, and I'm always a fan of racial buildings.

That being said, while the model viewer pic looks pretty great, the in-game (probably due to lighting & such) really strike me as a little un-Warcrafty. Like, just a tiny bit complex or weird for Warcraft, next to, say, the Barracks or Workshop. I wish I had a more concrete critique, or any suggestions... Aside from providing a form that uses all in-game textures (I'm sure it's feasible for a model of this nature), as the General said.

Either way, thanks! Good luck.

(Borked in the viewer, so thanks for the pics)

Dang, pretty cool. We don't see a whole lot of Dwarven architecture here, unfortunately, and I'm always a fan of racial buildings.

That being said, while the model viewer pic looks pretty great, the in-game (probably due to lighting & such) really strike me as a little un-Warcrafty. Like, just a tiny bit complex or weird for Warcraft, next to, say, the Barracks or Workshop. I wish I had a more concrete critique, or any suggestions... Aside from providing a form that uses all in-game textures (I'm sure it's feasible for a model of this nature), as the General said.

Either way, thanks! Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll think what could be done and if I figure out how to improve model - there will be updates.