• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Durotan Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm trying to make a balanced Durotan hero, but I'm having some trouble on the abilities front. I'm trying to remake the abilities he has in WoD, but I've run into some difficulty trying to make custom spells that uses the same or similar effects. I haven't got the hang of using triggers yet, so if I need to use them, I might mess it up. I'm mainly having problems finding a pre-existing spell that uses the same effects. If anyone has any ideas on what spells I could use or what triggers to make to recreate them, I would be very thankful.

Thank you for any and all help.

Last edited:
Level 5
I'm not a WoW player, so I might not be the right person for exactly his skills.
Nevertheless, can you be more specific, what do you want to achieve and what problems do you have with it? I'm guessing you're running into trouble when creating a spell based of same base spell, there are couple of solutions for this but the best is to use triggers of course(and don't worry, it's easy).

Level 12
The 3rd ability "Iceblade Whirl" could be based off the cold arrows ability (it uses attack damage and can slow attack & move speed), I don't know how you'd temporarily the slow cast speed of the affected unit though (Like I don't think you can really do this in wc3 in general, there might be some system made for it though...). Do note that besides the ability's own cooldown it would also only be used as a replacement of a normal auto attack, so you can't attack and use this ability simultaneously like you'd do in WoW.

If you want it to work more like in WoW you'd have to do some triggering as far as I know.

As for the first two abiities, Arctic Smash and Fury of the Frostwolves, they'll need to use triggers without a doubt. Nothing particularly complicated however...

The Arctic Smash and Iceblade Whirl would work fairly similar, and I've pretty much got an idea for how you would make them (triggered) and fury of the frostwolf would be very easy to make a crude version of, but it might be a bit more complicated if you want to make it more proper (especially if 10 yrs mean that it's an AoE instead of a single target max range indicator).

Level 2
I'm not a WoW player, so I might not be the right person for exactly his skills.
Nevertheless, can you be more specific, what do you want to achieve and what problems do you have with it? I'm guessing you're running into trouble when creating a spell based of same base spell, there are couple of solutions for this but the best is to use triggers of course(and don't worry, it's easy).

I updated the message to be more specific.

It's fine if you're not a WoW player, I only played for about 3 days and haven't touched it since. I guess I could try making triggers for it, but I haven't actually seen what these spells look like in WoW, and making spells through triggers sounds like it'd be more trouble than it's

Level 12
The main issue with those abilities is that they would require a lot of infrastructure to be in place before being made (or a lot of specific triggering for just this one hero).

There is no simple way to figure out what a unit's attack damage is. You'd have to keep track of the items and various other things (such as buffs) that the unit has and then use that value for the attack damage. That is a lot of work to implement for just one hero, so having a system that does it for all the units is probably better, though it would also be a pain to set up.

Slowing casting time is almost infeasible. Though, it does spark some ideas in me for a casting system, which would be really cool, but also a ton of work.

% bonus damage debuff requires damage detection which involves another system. On the bright side, damage detection systems are already implemented in various forms allowing for a lot of freedom, but you would still have to get one into place and figure out how to use it.

If you are newer to triggers, I would go with easier solutions (you get a feel for what is easier after working with the editor a lot):
% bonus damage debuff -> armour reduction
Damage based on weapon / attack damage -> damage based on a hero attribute
Slower casting time -> silence

These aren't perfect translations, but if you haven't had much experience with the editor, these effects are a lot easier to create.

Level 2
The 3rd ability "Iceblade Whirl" could be based off the cold arrows ability (it uses attack damage and can slow attack & move speed), I don't know how you'd temporarily the slow cast speed of the affected unit though (Like I don't think you can really do this in wc3 in general, there might be some system made for it though...). Do note that besides the ability's own cooldown it would also only be used as a replacement of a normal auto attack, so you can't attack and use this ability simultaneously like you'd do in WoW.

If you want it to work more like in WoW you'd have to do some triggering as far as I know.

As for the first two abiities, Arctic Smash and Fury of the Frostwolves, they'll need to use triggers without a doubt. Nothing particularly complicated however...

The Arctic Smash and Iceblade Whirl would work fairly similar, and I've pretty much got an idea for how you would make them (triggered) and fury of the frostwolf would be very easy to make a crude version of, but it might be a bit more complicated if you want to make it more proper (especially if 10 yrs mean that it's an AoE instead of a single target max range indicator).

Iceblade Whirl could be used to make Durotan do double damage and slow down the Attack Rate of enemies in a certain range, that sounds quite simple to do through triggers. Something along the lines of:

If (((Ability (Iceblade Whirl)) Used) then ((Increase (Attack Damage) by (100%)) and (Put ((Buff (Slow Attack Rate)) on ((Enemies) in Range (600)))

I really haven't experimented with triggers enough, probably half the stuff in that example probably doesn't exist in the editor.

But yeah, I do agree that Arctic Smash and Fury of the Frostwolf will probably be quite easy to make via triggers.

Level 2
The main issue with those abilities is that they would require a lot of infrastructure to be in place before being made (or a lot of specific triggering for just this one hero).

There is no simple way to figure out what a unit's attack damage is. You'd have to keep track of the items and various other things (such as buffs) that the unit has and then use that value for the attack damage. That is a lot of work to implement for just one hero, so having a system that does it for all the units is probably better, though it would also be a pain to set up.

Slowing casting time is almost infeasible. Though, it does spark some ideas in me for a casting system, which would be really cool, but also a ton of work.

% bonus damage debuff requires damage detection which involves another system. On the bright side, damage detection systems are already implemented in various forms allowing for a lot of freedom, but you would still have to get one into place and figure out how to use it.

If you are newer to triggers, I would go with easier solutions (you get a feel for what is easier after working with the editor a lot):
% bonus damage debuff -> armour reduction
Damage based on weapon / attack damage -> damage based on a hero attribute
Slower casting time -> silence

These aren't perfect translations, but if you haven't had much experience with the editor, these effects are a lot easier to create.

That's fair enough, any time that I have used the World Editor, it's been messing around with the Object Editor and not much else.

I think I'd settle for just using the base attack damage, and slowing down casting time isn't anything I want to experiment with, I'll settle for silence or slower mana regen. It's become very clear that this is something that focuses on triggers. I'll look up some tutorials on making spells using triggers, and see how I go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.