• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dungeons & Warlords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Dungeons & Warlords

Hello there! and welcome to the thread concerning my attempt at making a map! D&W is something I've been trying to make on-off for nearly 9 years now... hopefully this time I will get it done! (Ha...ha!) Regardless, im having fun using the world-editor so I don't mind trying!

The Idea
The idea behind the map is a combination of Mordhenheim from Warhammer, Risk... and obviously Warcraft!
The result is sort of an RPGish/Tacticalish/RTSish large-scale race war that offers unique gameplay mechanics and a lot of different options to choose from!

Very ambitious... Maybe, but still fun to craft!

Features?
Whilst I haven't actually made that much of the map yet, over the years I've had plenty of ideas come to mind... Some I managed to execute in past attempts, some I plan on doing this attempt! The map is indeed in the beginning and progressing as... my mood is progressing but I had to make a thread otherwise it will loop on my desktop for ages!

The main features currently are such:
  • Custom Resources - From different types of ore to using mana as a resource in creating units. The map will feature control points to generate gold, mining to acquire different types of ore, hunting for pelts and lumber jacking for wood obviously. Different races will have access to different resources at first, requiring players to either ally or wage war in order to progress through the game and preventing massing.

• Individual Upgrades - Each unit will have an inventory which will allow it to equip its own upgrades. Different types of upgrades can be crafted using different ore. Upgrades will be separated into categories:
    Weapon, Armor, Shield, Generic and a simple inventory system will be used to keep upgrades in check. Stronger units will gain access to more inventory slots allowing them to equip better load outs.

• Unit Cap Types - The unit cap will be divided between core, special, elite and hero units - limiting the size of an army and preventing massing. This will also force players to focus more on what upgrades they use.

• World Events - Global events that affect all players. Natural disasters, traveling merchants and other goodies! players can control the intensity of these events.

• Custom Races - 10 Custom races, some featuring vanilla game play complimented by the map features. Others will offer entirely new game play mechanics (E.G Refer to Demons in the "Races So Far"). Those with vanilla game-play will have two techtree options to allow players diversity between games.

Dwarves - Located within a large mountain at the center of the mainland, the Dwarves are nestled in a natural defensive area.
Their close proximity to a vast array of resources gives them early access to plenty of gear and upgrades.
The Dwarves play vanilla, as such they gain access to two techtrees:
Clan Oathbearer - Focused on defensive units and supportive casters.
Clan Ironwheel - Focused on war-machines, trinkets and traps.

----------

Dark Elves - Opposite of the Dwarves, within the protection of the mountain, is the Dark Elven settlement.
Suffering from less access to resources than the Dwarven settlement; The Dark Elves have to rely on their special water canal system which allows ships to reach the four corners of the mainland with great ease for quick raiding.
The Dark Elves play vanilla and have access to the following two techtrees:
Sorcerers Coven - Focused on offensive casters and strong defensive buildings.
Beastmasters Coven - Focused on powerful monsters with animosity controlled by beast-masters.

----------

Demons - Separated from the mainland by a dimensional portal; The Demons effectively start the game banished.
In order for the demons to manifest in the mainland one of three events need to occur:
1) Cultists influence - Throughout the mainland small camps of neutral creatures reside. These camps can be influenced using certain resources and spells which in turn will summon demons into the realm. The level of influence and the power of the creeps will affect the demons being summoned from your realm - From lowly core units to a mighty Demon Lord.
2) Player Summon - a player can preform a certain ritual to summon a Demon Lord into the realm. this requires certain sacrifices to be made. In return the Demon can choose to accept being summoned and gain access to the world at the cost of being under the control of the summoner for a certain amount of time with no option to resist, the stronger the sacrifice the more time.
3) Lastly any battle on the main land will weaken the dimensional rift between the realms, eventually with enough deaths and carnage the rift will break for a short time and demons will be able to pass through

Once a Demon Lord is within the mainland, he can summon troops from his dimension to bolster his attack forces. However, once killed he will be banished for a certain amount of time, unable to cross regardless of circumstances.

Finally, unlike other races; Demons do not utilize standard resources.
Instead, any living unit which dies within the mainland will have a small chance to be trapped in the Demon Realm as a lost soul. Each spirit trapped will count as resource points for demonic purchases. Additionally - any unit slain by a demon will have a high chance of being trapped, as well as any unit slain within the Demon Realm will be trapped regardless of circumstances.

Some pics... Nothings finished XD but im dying for some feedback on the mapping so far - this is basically the upper strip of the map so far... anything that is walled off with boundaries to separate from the main gaming map.
first.png

third.png

second.png

fourth.png

fifth.png

Some progress:
sixth.png

Yehh... lots of work to be done obviously, but this should give the general feel and looks of thing... Oh and units are small scale!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.