• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dummy Spell Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Can somebody help me: Why does this dummy trigger doesn't work ? :thinking:

• Shed Shell
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Shed Shell (Neutral Hostile)
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet Dummy_Point = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy for Player 14 (Navy) at Dummy_Point facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add Storm Bolt to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Mountain King - Storm Bolt (Casting unit)
      • Unit - Remove (Last created unit) from the game
      • Unit - Set Armor of (Casting unit) to 10.00
      • Animation - Change (Casting unit)'s vertex coloring to (50.00%, 100.00%, 50.00%) with 0.00% transparency
      • Wait 6.00 seconds
      • Animation - Change (Casting unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency
      • Unit - Set Armor of (Casting unit) to 2.00

Level 19
What is it that doesnt work? There can be lots of things that are wrong.

1. The Event might not even trigger because Shed Shell is a spell that cant be detected.
2. The dummy is allied to you so cant target you.
3. The dummy has no mana.
4. The storm bolt is a hero ability and the unit cant use it.
5. Casting unit might not be recognized, try changing to triggering unit.
6. Oh now I see! Last created unit is REMOVED the instant it spawns. I am pretty sure that wont work. Try adding an expiration timer instead.

Level 7
What is it that doesnt work? There can be lots of things that are wrong.

1. The Event might not even trigger because Shed Shell is a spell that cant be detected.
2. The dummy is allied to you so cant target you.
3. The dummy has no mana.
4. The storm bolt is a hero ability and the unit cant use it.
5. Casting unit might not be recognized, try changing to triggering unit.
6. Oh now I see! Last created unit is REMOVED the instant it spawns. I am pretty sure that wont work. Try adding an expiration timer instead.

Thanks that fixed it :)! Awesome.

Level 19
I heard Casting unit is not local and may cause issues after a Wait if another unit uses the ability, someone correct me if I am wrong.
Note that you can add Hero abilities to units with that Action, it works just like it would with a Normal/Item ability.
Do you know if Item, Hero or Normal ability even matters for anything? The only thing I guess is that Hero abilities can be learned and leveled but I think that is just dependent on putting the abiliy on the "Hero abilities" field on the unit.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I heard Casting unit is not local and may cause issues after a Wait if another unit uses the ability, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Do you know if Item, Hero or Normal ability even matters for anything? The only thing I guess is that Hero abilities can be learned and leveled but I think that is just dependent on putting the abiliy on the "Hero abilities" field on the unit.
None of the Event Responses are local aside from Triggering Unit. Luckily, Triggering Unit works in pretty much all of the Events.

This can help you create "GUI" locals for the other Event Responses: local udg_

And it's pretty much as you guessed, if you want an ability to be learned from a Skill Menu it has to be a Hero ability and it has to be added through the Hero Abilities field in the Object Editor, other than that the abilities are all pretty much the same. You can add a Hero/Item/Unit ability to a unit through triggers, and even change it's level through triggers (Set level of ability to X) with no issues.

Also, I think Hero abilities get the special property of piercing spell immunity if you set their Required level to 6, since this marks them as "Ultimates". I'm not 100% sure on this though.

Last edited:
Level 19
This can help you create "GUI" locals for the other Event Responses: local udg_
WOW! I didnt know I could make an otherwise global variable a local variable for that specific trigger instance. That is VERY useful to me since I use GUI a lot. Wish I knew this yesterday though!

Status
Not open for further replies.