• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DPS and HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
It's the best to start a thread with "The title says it all" xD
As the title says, I want to ask you something. Do you know how to make a multiboard, with DPS and HPS of the Hero. I need it for my RPG. I allready asked a friend to do it, but he said that it is too hard, and I do agree with that. So, if anybody could make me a test map, that would be great.

+REP ofc I am not a n00b :goblin_yeah::goblin_yeah:

Level 9
I don't know a damned thing about the core way to do this, but I know in the past I used a damage detection system (resource) that could store the damage of a player's attack as a variable, which could be, in theory, then further used in a function to determine DPS (maybe an algorithm with attack speed / dmg / crit / range / etc as variables) by adding that given value to the value you choose.

The only thing is, the system I used involved handles and what not and broke a while back with that patch, so I couldn't really sum it up anymore.

Anyways, damage detection for DPS is a good way to start, if you can a) code it yourself or b) find a resource that already does it and manipulate it to store damage and use it in a function for DPS itself.

Also: I know the TKoK guys have HPS/DPS systems working at full, they might have some answers if they're not busy with their insane project(s).

Vunjo

Level 14
Ergh, I didn't actually know that TKoK has it, impressed xD
A) Don't have a F*** idea how to do it
B) Maybe I ask some guyz in TKoK, if it's ok for them ^^

Also, DPS needs to detect Spell Damage too.

Level 9
Ergh, I didn't actually know that TKoK has it, impressed xD
A) Don't have a F*** idea how to do it
B) Maybe I ask some guyz in TKoK, if it's ok for them ^^

Also, DPS needs to detect Spell Damage too.

Just make Spells triggered and have their damage as variables. You could also pre-calculate damage-over-time effects before the effects are finished and just add them to the overall function that calculates DPS. You could apply a very, if not the same, thing for healing - just have every healing ability triggered and have the variables go back to the HPS calculation.

Also, you'll have to figure out how you're going to calculate it. It'll have to have a start point and end point. You said RPG, so I'd que it on a boss fight or by player manual interaction or... something.

simple: you just need a formula on how you calculate the hero's DPS and HPS and use them to show the hero's DPS and HPS on the multiboard...

some things you might need to do depending on the map:
-save the hero's base min and max damage onto variables
-calculate the base attack speed of the hero and save it to a variable
-save the damage per stat onto a variable
-save the hero's base health regeneration onto a variable
-save the HPS per stat onto a variable
-etc...

Vunjo

Level 14
I asked the guy from TKoK, and he said that it's pure Jass, and that it can't be done in GUI. So i guess, I will have to find a Jass triggerer, or there will be no such system in my map =(

Why such complex math?

Cant you just store the damage taken as a variable then divide it over the the time the hero stays in combat?

that depends...

but taking the damage taken by units attacked by the hero would mean that you actually get the damaged that is already reduced by armor, and not the MAX DPS that the hero can deal... and its not accurate if you're hitting different enemies with different armors...

well, yeah...

anyway, a basic DPS counter can be made in GUI, but it would be easier and more efficient in JASS/vJASS... and the need to use JASS/vJASS would depend on the other systems that he is implementing on his map (like Custom Damage systems, etc...)

example: if you're using a Custom Damage system written on vJASS, then you might be required to use vJASS for the DPS counter as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.