• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Double Space On Periods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
1573091693326s-jpg.337475

Level 2
I have no idea what that means.
It means you use two spaces after each period.

Hi all,

It's too boxy and makes messages hard to read.

Can we get this?

No, let it die as it should've 50 years ago.

My memory is crap but I did read about it in school.

So, if I remember correctly it is something that was used when writing academic journals on a typewriter. I believe it has something to do with the technology simply not being able to adjust "space size" for the space key alone and thus you just pressed space twice. You did this because the text would become too dense otherwise. Double spacing is essentially an old habit that really didnt have a reason to come with.

Today, we specify the space size by a % of the point size. I guess its up to what looks good with the font. I think academic journals have a space size of 150% (1.5) but I have seen up to 200%. 120-130% for daily text such as this forum should be fine though. If you have issues reading things there are more things you can do on your end rather than force the entire community to change for you.

Last edited:
Level 5
It means you use two spaces after each period.

No, let it die as it should've 50 years ago.

My memory is crap but I did read about it in school.

So, if I remember correctly it is something that was used when writing academic journals on a typewriter. I believe it has something to do with the technology simply not being able to adjust "space size" for the space key alone and thus you just pressed space twice. You did this because the text would become too dense otherwise. Double spacing is essentially an old habit that really didnt have a reason to come with.

Today, we specify the space size by a % of the point size. I guess its up to what looks good with the font. I think academic journals have a space size of 150% (1.5) but I have seen up to 200%. 120-130% for daily text such as this forum should be fine though. If you have issues reading things there are more things you can do on your end rather than force the entire community to change for you.

No!

It is actual Language rule.

Level 5
if you mean when you press enter, why dont you press enter twice?

Edit: wait you mean actual space (the key between the two alts) or you mean line space (the small space betwen two concecutive lines)?

Lol, not Enter, space on a period meaning right after it. Double spacing is not what I was talking about.

It seems many forums are using this now. I think they all use a similar plugin. I never liked plugins in programming!

Level 5
I think you need to explain what you mean instead of just saying "Double Space On Periods" and expecting everyone to know what you're talking about.

When googling it all I find is exactly what @Biglover referred to.

It's simple plain English. Let this be a sign to you people of today, that Science means nothing. 10 minutes tops on a problem, and it's done.

Try pondering for 15 years a piece of literature. Literature, History, and Art are what make the world go round. Maybe then you won't say such offensive things, and maybe actually try to better the topic. If you had nothing to say, you didn't need to type anything. You came here SPECIFICALLY to pick a fight.

Maybe if you guys get off the Google, you can find an actual search engine for a real subject worth studying. This is nothing to be researching. This is simple Grade 4 writing ability, which you should have grasped by now.

It's simple plain English. Let this be a sign to you people of today, that Science means nothing. 10 minutes tops on a problem, and it's done.

Try pondering for 15 years a piece of literature. Literature, History, and Art are what make the world go round. Maybe then you won't say such offensive things, and maybe actually try to better the topic. If you had nothing to say, you didn't need to type anything. You came here SPECIFICALLY to pick a fight.

Maybe if you guys get off the Google, you can find an actual search engine for a real subject worth studying. This is nothing to be researching. This is simple Grade 4 writing ability, which you should have grasped by now.
Or maybe you could stop being a dick and just explain what you have on your mind. I did not know, that having your own head that far up where the sun doesn't shine was possible, but here you are, and I stand proven wrong.
e9d.jpg

Last edited:
Level 22
Word spacing was uneven on typewriters. That's why the double spacing after a period rule was used. Now, with the adoption of modern fonts, it isn't needed.

Or maybe you could stop being a dick and just explain what you have on your mind. I did not know, that having your own head that far up where the sun doesn't shine was possible, but here you are, and I stand proven wrong.
He meant this:
1928.jpg
search

Level 16
Lol, not Enter, space on a period meaning right after it. Double spacing is not what I was talking about.

It seems many forums are using this now. I think they all use a similar plugin. I never liked plugins in programming!
what if I only wanted single space? you can do it manually.
I actually dont mind this at all. maybe it will be better. It doesnt hurt to try it.

but why only in space? what about q mark? and exclamation mark?

I think I need to see the difference to check if its more eloquent. my recent posts do not have that many periods.

Edit: wait I think I found some. does anyone notice any difference in easiness of reading? (why didnt the OP put some examples?)

Reason: the BM is clearly moving very fast that the raiders net have no chance to catch him. If anything, its the ensnare should block the storm usage. However once its used, it should no longer affect the BM. I blv the original WC3 designers had the right idea.
Human HP is much lower than orcs. It seems to me that from balance point of view, orcs like holy light more, and humans like to have spirit link+healing wave more than orcs, because human units can be easily focused, and can bearly tank even with spirit link. orc units on the other hand can easily tank spell damage even without spirit link (and the meta has shifted slightly away from spirit walkers it seems, orcs can do just fine without spirit link). Humans with priest+spirit link and healing wave/healing spray seems good. maybe imba?

Reason: the BM is clearly moving very fast that the raiders net have no chance to catch him. If anything, its the ensnare should block the storm usage. However once its used, it should no longer affect the BM. I blv the original WC3 designers had the right idea.
Human HP is much lower than orcs. It seems to me that from balance point of view, orcs like holy light more, and humans like to have spirit link+healing wave more than orcs, because human units can be easily focused, and can bearly tank even with spirit link. orc units on the other hand can easily tank spell damage even without spirit link (and the meta has shifted slightly away from spirit walkers it seems, orcs can do just fine without spirit link). Humans with priest+spirit link and healing wave/healing spray seems good. maybe imba?

EDIT: WAIT WHAT? I CANT EVEN MANUALLY PUT TWO SPACE??????!!!!!!!!!!
Proof I use ctrl+f to a (. ) a period space space and it cannot be found, even though I put it manually on one of the text blocks above

@Daffa yes seems hive ignore the spacing even if put manually

@Ralle @deepstrasz

at least it must be manually possible without a doubt. it becoming automatically put is another thing

Level 5
Word spacing was uneven on typewriters. That's why the double spacing after a period rule was used. Now, with the adoption of modern fonts, it isn't needed.

He meant this:
View attachment 352397
search

What looks better?

what if I only wanted single space? you can do it manually.
I actually dont mind this at all. maybe it will be better. It doesnt hurt to try it.

but why only in space? what about q mark? and exclamation mark?

I think I need to see the difference to check if its more eloquent. my recent posts do not have that many periods.

Edit: wait I think I found some. does anyone notice any difference in easiness of reading? (why didnt the OP put some examples?)

EDIT: WAIT WHAT? I CANT EVEN MANUALLY PUT TWO SPACE??????!!!!!!!!!!
Proof I use ctrl+f to a (. ) a period space space and it cannot be found, even though I put it manually on one of the text blocks above

@Daffa yes seems hive ignore the spacing even if put manually

@Ralle @deepstrasz

at least it must be manually possible without a doubt. it becoming automatically put is another thing

Correct, yes. Very funny message. Interesting gopher pilot you are.

It should be optional that I can add it, or not add it. If people want to squish their writing into something unreadable, that's their choice. 2 periods after the end of a sentence. I believe it's even 2 after a Colon ":", or Semi Colon ";". It gives your writing that nice oompfh you need!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.