• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Doodads/Models Randomly Turn Partially Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I recently changed some of the blp locations inside of some mdx files with text pad and MdxPather and moved some file around inside the map. Now when I run the map everything will show up fine for a minute or so, and then some units and doodad textures will suddenly turn partially black. Does anyone know what can cause this type of issue?

Attachments

• Texture Problem.png
    Texture Problem.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 58

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Check this does not happen with the unedited models. Maybe it has always happened but you never noticed it.

Otherwise something is wrong with the mdx <-> mdl converter you are using. Several people have pointed out in the past that these tools suck badly and produce incorrect mdl files or fail to correctly port from mdl to mdx. It is possible that the conversion process results in more than the texture paths being changed and hence allows the models to show new kinds of errors.

Level 1
Is there something better for editing a lot of mdx files other than using MdlxConv to convert mdx to mdl, editing the paths, and then converting back to mdx?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It would be best to use a tool that can edit the paths while keeping it in mdx form. There are some Java and other language APIs that can read and write mdx files, if you know the languages they could be used to hack together your own tool to make the changes and be sure that no other data is corrupted.

Level 1
Thanks for the suggestion, I used Ogre-Lords's WcDataLibrary to make something that could update a bunch of mdx files' texture paths at once. Saved me a ton of time and the texture problems have completely stopped since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.