• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Doodad problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi again,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make doodads so units can't walk through them. Currently, units just pass right through my doodads. If possible, I would like it so units can't pass through any part of the shown model.

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Lordrake

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
WC3 does not use model based collision outside of Z axis. Instead you can just block off the inside of the model on the pathing map so the amount of geometry collision is minimal.

WC3 uses a pathing map to define where units can go, thus you just need to make sure the pathing map does not allow the units inside the model. You can see the pathing map by turning on the pathing layer under view. Also make sure units have an appropiate collision radius which includes most of their model.

Level 4
WC3 does not use model based collision outside of Z axis. Instead you can just block off the inside of the model on the pathing map so the amount of geometry collision is minimal.

WC3 uses a pathing map to define where units can go, thus you just need to make sure the pathing map does not allow the units inside the model. You can see the pathing map by turning on the pathing layer under view. Also make sure units have an appropiate collision radius which includes most of their model.

There is no collision radius for destructibles that I can see. Is there any easy way to edit the pathing of a doodad to match the model?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Doodads do not have pathing, they use the global pathing map instead which you can simply paint on where you do not want units to walk. (this is not supported by WE because blizzard was stupid when they made WC3 but is supported by maps as the pathing map is a separate file in their archive)

Destructables pathing is added the same way units are (buildings). They have a pathing map which can be native or imported which they use as an overlay to the global pathing map described above. Although WE does something simlar for doodads, the doodads do not have the pathing map when the game loads as it is instead merged on map save to form the global pathing map.

A custom pathing map is just an image in the right format.

Level 4
Doodads do not have pathing, they use the global pathing map instead which you can simply paint on where you do not want units to walk. (this is not supported by WE because blizzard was stupid when they made WC3 but is supported by maps as the pathing map is a separate file in their archive)

Destructables pathing is added the same way units are (buildings). They have a pathing map which can be native or imported which they use as an overlay to the global pathing map described above. Although WE does something simlar for doodads, the doodads do not have the pathing map when the game loads as it is instead merged on map save to form the global pathing map.

A custom pathing map is just an image in the right format.

Do you know if there is any sort of add on for WE is I could paint the pathing map within the program?

Level 10
Do you know if there is any sort of add on for WE is I could paint the pathing map within the program?
From what I know, that does not exist. However, there is this tool which should allow you to paint the pathing. Here's the link:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/terrain-1-0-a-62919/

If you use it, I suggest you read the comments below, as the physical description is terrible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.