• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Doodad "Combinations"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone can help me with creating eye candy. Terraining is not really something I'm good at and I see that people really want that(especially in cinematics, which I am best at). My question is, what are the "combinations" of doodads, destructibles, terrain you use. What I mean by combinations is a cluster of items, lets say that a combination can be 3 rocks, a tree between them and shrubs and flowers between the rocks, rock and tree and around the rocks. If you understand what I mean could you write me what you use as your common combinations(especially for maps such as lorderan, dalaran and village, but all, and I do mean ALL are more then welcome).

Level 14
I am doing that, I just wanted a little side help, for you guys to tell me your 2-3 favourite clusters you usually use in maps, or perhaps some must-have plants, rocks or something that I can download somewhere. If you have the time I would be more then happy if you can post a few clusters for me here :grin:

Level 6
Well, you could let your terrains be done by someone else. But if you want to
learn it the hard way...

Study other people's terrains and critisize them. Also view real fotos of enviroments etc. Also some people are talented, some are not.

Either way terraining needs a lot of practice.

Level 6
Well, there aren't rules on ''how to make a bunch of doodads look awesome''.
Just try out what you're trying to accomplish and we can give ye some tips and critique. And you could look up terrains that look like what you want to do, and learn from them

Level 14
I understand, but what I'm getting at is that most people use a combination of doodads more then once if it looks nice, in most map makers use defined clusters a few times in each of there maps. What I'm asking is if you have any specific cluster of doodads that you use a lot. For example I use a cluster of rocks shrub and flowers often by arranging three rocks in a bundle and then between them some shrub and around them some flowers, do you have any pattern that you use a lot(because, obviously, it looks nice)?

Level 6
Well, I do not have a specific type of doodads I keep using. Sure I have an own style but, you need to pick out the doodads that you think fit good together that can give the feeling you want your terrain to have

Level 2
i think i know what you mean;;
im not a great terrainer myself and i dont know if this is great but,
i usually put patches of grass next to trees and then put a few flowers, shrubs in the grass

Level 36
Practice is definitely beneficial, but one suggestion is that you can probably figure out if your terrain looks bad or unnatural, then try to make it look more natural. A lot of it is trial and error, just keep working until you get what you want, and don't settle for something that you think looks bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.