• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do you want Gaia's Retaliation on WC3 to be open source?

Shall Gaia's become Open Source?

• Yes, why not? I don't care about cheaters and retards, if there's at least one guy out there that ta

Votes: 58 80.6%
  • No, let Gaia's Retaliation rest in peace.

Votes: 14 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As you all know, the new version comes out today or tomorrow, depending on how long the calculation of the shadowmap takes.

As this is the last update for this map on Warcraft III, I thought about deprotecting the map for the public (of course, the official version will be "optimized" with the wc3 map optimizer, as you couldnt play it on Bnet without that, but I will upload an unprotected non-hostable version too), as this maybe would help other mapmakers out there that just want to learn or want to use some of the resources we used.

What do you think of that? Should the map be open-source? I this case, there's always the possibility that some retards hijack the map and put in ridicolous cheats or uber-pwnage itemz0rs. Consider that.

So, to sum it up: Do you want Wc3 Gaia's Retaliation to be Open-Source, or do you want it to rest in peace?

Well if you plan to do an open source kinda thing I think you should do send it when someone pm's you or something not that it's plain and open for everyone as there are many fools around.
You couldn't call it open source, then. Open source implies that everyone can access it freely. And tbh, I wouldn't want to manually send a 9 MB file every time i'm asked for it.

Level 3
Look at the fate of the single handedly best ORPG on wc3. Final Fantasy Forever. It rested in peace over 2 years ago. Ever since then, numerous map makers wanted to ask permission to continue it, but the author disappeared forever.

I doubt any map maker with a brain and time would want to hack this map up. But I doubt there is enough talented map makers to continue the direction of where this map was suppose to be going. So I mean it's your map, you decide. Voting on this would be very dumb.

Level 10
I highly doubt I could continue such a map, but I'd love to be able to learn from it. So I say you should release an open source version. If rigged versions are released, then people can easily just avoid them.

I agree 100% with this statement. I would LOVE to continue this map, but I am frankly just not that good at map making to do this map justice, but if I can learn anything from this map then the experience would be well worth while.

EDIT: However the choice is ultimately yours, consider this poll just a suggestion, and you shouldn't let it alter on what you feel should be done.

Last edited:
Level 2
People can hack it anyway.

Let anyone who wishes so tinker with the map. This would allow fixing of newly discovered bugs and maybe even occasional release of improvements, new content etc.

Mark your own version as the "Official".
If somebody indeed manages to produce a major update for the map, they could ask for you to validate the new version by marking it "Official" and uploading it to your web page.

Zav

Zav

Level 1
Hi,
I'am a random warcraft3 player, and your map's nice.
Nowadays there's not much orpg updated anymore, why do you have to stop?

Level 3
I agree with SSJ2-Trunks and S0ulseeker with their statements. Since your map has really inspired me to become a better terrainer.. and I'd really love to learn those camera angles and whatnot.. and I could try and attempt to continue the map.. =x .. though never publicly show my progress or work on it since I'm very new to the whole 'map-editing' thing.

Level 3
On popular demand, the map will become open source once the new version is released.

Thread closed. :) (I'll leave it open, still, just in case someone has a breathtaking fact about why it should not become open source)

well ,i think to open source isn't good idea...becouse,first i like rly this map,and this is the best map ever made for wc3,and olso i would like to learn how to make some models on your map,but for ppl which hear about this map maybe will not be able to play official version,becouse there is 100% chance to someone will make some some edits and host their version of map,what makes bad expirience about your official map renome...(my english is so and so ,hope so to u understud me)

well ,i think to open source isn't good idea...becouse,first i like rly this map,and this is the best map ever made for wc3,and olso i would like to learn how to make some models on your map,but for ppl which hear about this map maybe will not be able to play official version,becouse there is 100% chance to someone will make some some edits and host their version of map,what makes bad expirience about your official map renome...(my english is so and so ,hope so to u understud me)
Hmm ... well, I'm not that much of an attention whore that I would care if people write their name on the map. :con: ... As I probably will never play Wc3 again anyways after this comes out (maybe just for oldschoolness).

And well ... I really doubt that anyone with little or no knowledge of vJASS would really be able to make some significant changes to the game.
There is exactly one GUI trigger in the map - the one that is used for preplaced-unit globals declaration.

I think the average-Joe would never be able to understand the maps script.

Level 1
The only thing that i would suggest is that you wait to release the open sourced map until Sc2 is released. To prevent modded Gaias versions from being hosted on b.net thus confusing new players as to which version is the official one and which ones their save codes work for, especially after the newest one is released. I enjoy playing Gaias and like to help out new players, but if there are 3 different versions of the rpg named similarly it could be problematic for people who are just starting Gaias. Whereas if they were playing it for 1-2 months from when it was released and then get more information about whats actually happening with Gaias in the future they would know that you are moving onto Sc2 and be able to pick it up there once it is released.

TLDR; Wait to release open source till Sc2 drops so there isn't confusion about versions

Level 1
I voted no, however I would be rather open for certain individuals to help the creators, we all have work/real life so it would better if one cooperates with them and not just letting gaia an open* crap, one must be synchronized with the makes so the game still has it "touch"

Level 2
Hey, I would be able to learn so much from an open version of this map. After a few days of learning triggers and such, I feel I may be able to continue this map at a respectably equal standard.

Level 4
Hey, I would be able to learn so much from an open version of this map. After a few days of learning triggers and such, I feel I may be able to continue this map at a respectably equal standard.

After just a few days!!!! You need to have a very good understanding of vJass and can make good stuff with it before you can even start to edit this map. Maybe I just understand you wrong but how I see it from what you said is that you just started learning to trigger and you would need more to edit this map to it's current standards.

Level 5
Hell I think I am going to learn vJass just to add a 2 world bosses, and 10 or o mobs that are in the 30-37 range (able to level up to 40 without dungeons)

EDIT: but then again, maybe making each dungeon have a hard mode (Player chooses hard mode/levels of mobs increased by 4) would be easier. but I do not know triggers

bYo

bYo

Level 1
I repetitively put off learning vJass even though I know the map I'm working on with my friend would be so much better with it.

I'll probably get round to it at some point. I've kind of reached the limit of GUI editing at this point. But yes, I think it would greatly increase my map-making skills if this was open source and I would most probably be happy to attempt continuing it with some of you other eager people (after a good long vJass course that is :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.