• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Disabling collision using effects / behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Does anyone know if this is possible / remotely possible (decreasing it to 0.01 or so)?

(Trying to make a spell which swaps the caster's and target's positions, but they're always off since the collision isn't disabled, somehow.)

And yes, I know it can be done by triggers, but I'd like to do it using the Data Editor.

Level 9
Yes, in the Behavior - Modification+ Field go to the Behavior's tab and towards the bottom look for State Flags, under that you'll find one that says Suppress Collision, simply enable that and you'll have a buff that removes collision completely. This will only remove the collision, not modify its actual value, I don't think modifying it to any number you want is currently possible in the data editor.

Level 9
... Rispetto triggers are, and always should be, a last resort to doing something that can't be achieved in Data/Object Editors because of the relative unreliability that comes with them when compared to Data/Object editors. If, in WC3, someone wanted to know how to create an ability that would deal damage at a target area, stun units, and then create a unit under the casting player's control for a duration of time, would you tell them to do it through triggers, or simply look at the Inferno spell?

I would tell them to use Triggers, as I would have.
Data editor is a pain in the ass. I don't like the look of it.. and getting around it is increasingly difficult, the more advanced features you try to access/use.
Triggers are highly reliable, if you use them properly.
Though sometimes time-consuming in general, they allow you to use much more detail in various things, such as physics, that data editor can't do.
In general.. there isn't a single thing the DatEdit can do that triggers can't, but DatEdit can't do everything triggers can.
IMO DatEdit is used to set up base-lining stats, such as damage, weapons, etc. But as for everything else in a game, triggers should be used.
In general.. spend time learning triggers before learning DataEditor. It will do you better in the long run.

Level 9
Well I am honestly surprised you said that and now I realize why your advocating triggers over Data Editor so much but there's a reason things like Unit Editors in SC to Object Editors in WC3, and Object Editors from WC3 to the Data Editor in SC2. The point of having an advanced editor is so that people wouldn't have to resort to triggers to create abilities, effects, and systems, but it seems like your treating the Data Editor's job as what the Objector Editor in WE was, basics. Although Data Editor can't do everything Triggers can, Triggers can't do everything Data Editor can. By advocating triggers, your advising them to just avoid learning the data editor, and just makes people more and more reliant on just using triggers. The data editor won't get any easier if you avoid it, and being someone who used triggers and enjoys custom script and JASS in WC3, I would know. Learning triggers is a far easier task, and I doubt you'd find any tutorials that actually cover it because of its relative simplicity when compared to what it takes to learn the Data Editor. Someone who wants to learn how to do something that can be done through the Data Editor should be told how to do it, not be told to trigger it.

You say triggering is easy, and even with the new feature in the Galaxy editor that prevents you from using certain action functions without the correct event function, they are still very difficult to learn.
Yes, there are a lot of easy things, such as Unit Enters <Region> - Move (Triggering Unit) Instantly to <Region>, but there are also a lot of easy things with the DataEditor. Just because there are some easy learn-curves for both doesn't or at least shouldn't degrade the overall quality of the feature itself.
Things such as Variables, Custom UI, Banking systems, etc, can be very difficult to learn. I know myself (being an experienced triggerer for the past year or so) still have a lot to learn.
Though I do not agree with your opinion, good sir, I will fight to the death for your right to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.