• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Direct Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys this seems like a place of a lot of knowledgeable people, I just wanted to clarify something.

As far as I know, as someone who lives in Australia, if I "host" a game in Asia or US West server I have to send packets back and forth overseas while I'm playing, which sort of makes the delay greater than necessary for me and other players?

Assuming that is true, and if possible, can anyone point me to a good tutorial on how to host more directly, such as through Hamachi? I just play with friends.

Level 14
My understanding is that realm only affects who you can chat with. Once you're hosting, each player's connection is directly to you.

Unfortunately, Battle.net support for Oceania is poor. You may like to try garena, this tutorial explains how to play using their client. I am not familiar with how to host using it though.

If you're playing with people near Australia, you might want to invest in a host bot which is situated in a city near all of you. Good bots will have much better ping and latency than a human host. I'm not aware of any that run servers in Australia though.

Level 25
Use Gameranger instead. A lot easier to use than Hamachi and instantly puts you in the game with your friends instead of having to look for the room which your friends are in.

And yes, the further you are from your friends, the higher the ping will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.