• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

different kind of knockback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Probably, still its a easy thing to do.
First you need to replace the Effect with a Unit, then you will order the Unit to move to that position or move it with periodics your choice.
Then you do a periodic with, Pick every unit in range of "Projectile" and do actions:
Then you just use a normal Pushback Spell and set the Target Unit of ability being cast to Picked unit and badabang its done.

Yeah i know iam lazy but when you know how a pushback works then you should understand how a mass pushback works.

Level 2
I checked out wc3c but there was only JASS knockback spells which i absolutely have no idea how anyone can read them and how JASS is "easier" to understand than GUI but thats just me. If someone could somehow make a program that converts JASS to GUI that would be very helpful to many people who are like me.

But if someone could post up the knockback skill that I want in GUI because I have tried everything I know how to do (which isnt very much) and nothing worked. I dont want to post up my trigger because I know someone will make fun of my trigger because it doesnt even look like it will work ar all I mean like it has stuff I have no Idea what it means.

Last edited:
Level 3
First the Hive forums are here to help, and anybody who mocks another persons trigger when posted for help SHOULD NOT POST AT ALL!, second if you post your trigger there are many people (including my self) that will help you correct your trigger so you can learn from your mistakes ;)

I checked out wc3c but there was only JASS knockback spells which i absolutely have no idea how anyone can read them and how JASS is "easier" to understand than GUI but thats just me. If someone could somehow make a program that converts JASS to GUI that would be very helpful to many people who are like me.

The system is very simple. You don't even have to understand any of it, as its mostly copy and paste. I got it into my map in about 5-10 mins and now I have some great knockback spells.

Knockback can be done in GUI, it's just that nobody has yet. I tried making one, but I kinda gave up. And I deleted the triggers, as I had no use for them.

GUI is basically different to JASS. You can't really say one is easier to read than the other, as it's mainly a matter of personal preference.

And no, making a JASS -> GUI program would never happen. JASS that was written as JASS looks very different from JASS stuff that was just converted from GUI. The pure JASS looks a lot cleaner than the GUI stuff.

Level 2
Well I have made a knockback in GUI but its not the kind of knockback spell that I want here it is just a single unit pushback and I have made a pulling spell too which I think is a great accomplishment considering i havent seen anything like it posted in the spells section.

I will post my spell trigger up in a bit I gotta go someplaces.

Level 2
Hmm. Try using a dummy unit and pick all units around it to push? Instead of just picking one.

Level 40
Even if it was possible, why would you WANT to convert perfectly good JASS to GUI? It would

A) make it less efficient (let's call the program the deficiensizer or something :p)
B) make it less readable (JASS is more readable than you'd think, if you've ever put any serious effort into trying. [writing it is what tends to get to most people]. Also, not only is GUI less readable by default, but long GUI triggers just become abominiations)

Oh, and those knockback functions you can get are fairly easy to use, even if they're JASS. Just move your dummy unit in a line, calling the knockback funcs via Custom Script when you need them. MUI, more efficient, less hassle, less work. There's really no loss. Just dump the functions in the Custom Script section or somesuch.

Level 2
Off-Topic

purplepoot it is a pyritie said reading JASS and GUI is an opinion and I think that GUI i much easier to read and they work just about the same

Back-On-Topic

How do I post my trigger here?

Level 2
Ok here is my trigger

I havent worked on it in a while and I know how to fix somethings but Ill just leave it how I have it and tell yall things I think are wrong and how I think I should fix them after i get done with trigger.

Push
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Force Push
  • Actions
    • Set Caster = (Casting unit)
    • Set Target = Dummy
    • Set LoopCounter = 0
    • Trigger - Turn on Force Push Move Copy <gen>
    • Trigger - Turn on Force Push Move <gen>
Push Move
  • Events
    • Time - Every 0.01 seconds of game time
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Set TempLoc00 = (Position of Caster)
    • Set TempLoc01 = (Position of Dummy)
    • Set Temploc02 = (TempLoc01 offset by 10.00 towards (Angle from TempLoc00 to TempLoc01) degrees)
    • Set TempLoc0 = ((Position of Dummy) offset by 10.00 towards (Facing of Caster) degrees)
    • Unit - Move Target instantly to Temploc02
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 100.00 of (Position of Dummy)) and do (Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to TempLoc0)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempLoc00)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempLoc01)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Temploc02)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempLoc0)
    • Set LoopCounter = (LoopCounter + 1)
    • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
      • If - Conditions
        • LoopCounter Greater than 50
      • Then - Actions
        • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
      • Else - Actions
Extra thing i dont have a name for
  • Events
    • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.01 seconds
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of Caster) at (Position of Caster) facing (Facing of Caster) degrees
    • Set Dummy = (Last created unit)
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Dummy using Abilities\Spells\Undead\CarrionSwarm\CarrionSwarmMissile.mdl
I honestly dont know why I added that last trigger but I did try to make dummy unit but I dont know how.

The things I think are wrong are the TARGET variable which I think should be a point location not a unit.

I think the pushing should be in a 100 area of the TARGET variable and it pushes them all back 500 range away from CASTER.

I think last trigger doesnt even do nething.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Do some simple maths and you will be able to understand how to do it easily with a bit of logic.

Making something run every 0.01 seconds is extremly demanding and considering most screens on PCs have a refresh rate of 60-70 FPS you will be wasting a lot of processing power. 0.05 seconds is what I use since it is equivently 20 FPS of movement which still looks visually ok but it fires only 1/5th as buch as every 0.01 so is 1/5th as demanding. Remember that if there is a lot of action happening on screen like mass pushback and a lot of movement our brains do not really notice that the pushback is not constant but in bursts, and also with that ectra processing power you can do more on your map at once.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well it does not make it mess up, it just makes it lag more (lower Frame rate due to lack of free CPU power). You can often see the effect of demanding too much from ones CPU in maps like DBZ tribute ultra/reverted where if more than 3 spells are cast in a short period of time the game can freeze for over a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.