• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Diablo angel wings - How would you create them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

How would you create the angel wings as seen in the Diablo series using only in-game textures with a custom mesh,
considering the typical wing animation and movement ?

heroes-of-the-storm-diablo-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If by "in-game" you mean wc3 probably some ring texture and make each tentacle individualy with mesh and animate wings with global sequence and maybe using texture animation.
Wc3 ribbon emitter can't do effect like that.They only emit if you move the emitter around which mean they can't emit sinusoidal pattern wing and stay attached on his back at the same time.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Ribbons or Emitter or Texture animation could work? Not sure
I can Imagine that Is possible but I am bad at those :p

ribbon emmiters is probably the best way to go if you want in-game textures.

If by "in-game" you mean wc3 probably some ring texture and make each tentacle individualy with mesh and animate wings with global sequence and maybe using texture animation.
Wc3 ribbon emitter can't do effect like that.They only emit if you move the emitter around which mean they can't emit sinusoidal pattern wing and stay attached on his back at the same time.
Thanks, guys!

Do I understand correctly that a ribbon emitter is like a particle emitter emitting upon being moved, like the footsteps from Illidan ?

Callahan, with using ring textures, do you mean stacking them up, like donuts on a stick, for example ?
Or one by one ( camera anchored), overlapping and becoming smaller ?

About your argument against ribbon emitters, wouldn't it work anyways ?
If they cannot emit sinusoidal, couldn't one tinker around using gravitation ?

'ring' is just the name given by blizzard to texture used for effect like warstomp.
Ribbon emitter always emit but are not visible when not moved around.
Gravity will just make it go down or up (with negative value) verticaly.
To make it describe a sinuous pattern like tyrael wing you'll have to move the emitter that way but since it's the source it won't look like Tyrael wing.Tyrael wing directely make the trail describe a sinous pattern with the source still being attached to his back without moving.
This effect simply cannot be done with ribbon emitter because it works differently.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Ah I see, thank you!

Then I go for the solution using global sequence and texture animation

Status
Not open for further replies.