• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Development Update #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Development Update #1

I'd like to take the time to talk about 2 major changes I am planning (and about to start) to work on. I also plan to do such development updates more often when I have things to talk about. So let's get this started:

Talent System & ESC Stat System Update

As many of you who followed the map throughout the years have probably noticed, hero customization has always been very important to me. Being able to pick a hero, have 1 game with him/her where you have one experience and then in your second game you can play the hero entirely differently. Glyphs and Talents have been major steps in making that goal a reality, but I want to take this even further.

Talents: The goal is to offer more ability options to heroes. You know how some Talents can replace your abilities with other ones? Unfortunately, I can only do that with the 2 abilities your hero starts with and that's very limiting. To allow myself more options, I will be making all abilities available at level 1, and you will not be leveling them up - they will level up on their own. As a result, a lot more flexibility with the kit will be possible via Talents. A scenario would be possible where one Death Knight has the abilities A, B, C, D, E and another Death Knight uses A, F, G, D, E. Or even more combinations like that. That's not all. One (or possibly even two) more Talents will be added to each hero.

To make the above possible, however, I will be removing 3 heroes which have also been problematic for me in the recent past, namely: Blood Mage, Primal Guardian and Siren.

ESC Stats: The ESC Stats system will be reworked. The new system will offer roughly the same options, but you will be able to reset your points at a (not yet decided) cost. Additionally, summons will no longer be benefiting from those stats, which will help out balancing both the stat values and the summons power.

New Mode: Arena Mode

I am super excited to finally announce this feature. Not long ago, I made a thread where I talk about some things I am not happy with in the current state of the map. I mainly wanted to give fresh experience to veteran players and to offer the option to have shorter game sessions. At the time, the ideas I had included major reworks of the entire game, including taking away things from the game that people loved. Recently, however, I came up with a much better solution:

This new mode will offer an entirely different Sunken City experience. At the beginning of the game you select your Difficulty and Lives like you always do. Then you reach the Mode menu which currently offers the "Standard" and "Heroic" Modes. At that menu, you will now have access to Arena Mode. What does it do exactly though?

Arena Mode will allow you to select your heroes and upon selection you will be teleported at a new Arena Zone. In the Arena you will have a small "base" where you can shop all the items you know, regen, prepare, etc. And then you will be able to unleash endless amount of waves of enemies in the arena. That's right, in that mode you will not be "beating" the map. You will be setting a record for yourself, showcasing your highest wave reached. Each wave will be getting stronger and stronger, until you eventually fail. Question would be: how long can your team last?

What would that achieve: Exactly what I set out to do in the beginning - fresh experience for veteran players which is also a shorter game session.

As always, both of these ideas are very early in their development state and will change over time, but I am very excited for both of them and I can't wait to tell you and show you the details about them.

Let me know what you think regarding both of these announcements!

See ya around!

Level 3
these are very cool ideas, i'm looking forward to the new direction!!

it's awesome to see developing game design principles, especially on a game as ambitious as yours.
i replay the map at least once every time there's a new version so i'll be on this like POW

Status
Not open for further replies.