• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Choose own skill fun mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
It would be cool to make the game less "serious " and more fun.

Basically choose any hero in the beginning of the turn ( Can choose 2-3 of the same main stat) and start with 6 lumber. Have the option to choose 6 random skills of any combination(even ultis or only passives). How it can be enjoyed:

Random heroes: choose a hero and you will be given 5 random skills + 1 ulti

Correct play: basically build your own hero the best you can and survive. This can make the game even more challenging for 2 people(possible to clear on insane)

Fun: go crazy with it (also you can add something like -wtf mode to completely obliterate everything)

I would enjoy the second option most. It's true that you get a huge advantage but it gives you a lot of replayability. I don't know how hard it would be to implement but I would surely waste hours more with this. After playing for years it would be cool to just have fun without playing it seriously.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
That's an interesting topic.

First things first. It would be somewhat hard to make in the World Editor, and also some of the skills would be literally impossible because of existing limits (For example you cannot pick Marauder spells mechanic in any hero, that's a no go). A lot of passives and some other spells would require recoding to make it right, so it's like I said, a lot of work, but most things are possible, although very unlikely to happen.

The obvious con in this is the ability to make an Intelligence Hero with 4 levelable healing spells and most defensive normals as possible. That's fun, I do agree on it, but it would really ruin the game balance and would be too easy to play. If we'd boost the difficulty in that mode, then it would be impossible to play with at least 2 or more healing skills. The solution to this could be limiting to only 1 healing spell, but that's defeating the whole point of this isn't it?

This same thing can apply to all Tanks/Damage Dealers. Yes, it would be a lot of fun to make a "full X" build, but that'd make balance really really questionable. This may or may not be fixed with various difficulties.

Lastly. This would make the map really really enjoyable with this mode and to a lot of players after playing some time in this mode it would become extremely boring playing back in normal mode. This is just a simple psychological factor that people have, if you have a certain fun source, and you directly improve it, the old fun source becomes less fun, directly leading to fewer players and smaller community. The more fun new modes are, the less exciting would it be to play the normal modes back again.

Level 6
To your first point I must agree with you that it would be hard from a technical standpoint. You could easily remove the troublesome spells or remove the synergy when playing that mode.

Your second point can be argued that it would still be fun for 2 players even 3. A lot of people would enjoy a more casual experience. With the difficulty tweaking it could be possible to find just the right combination.

I don't know about your last point. It would make the map more versatile . I would sure play with the standard heroes when looking for a challenge. At the end of the day maps are supposed to be fun. Some people do take it too seriously and may say that adding fun modes somehow diminishes the experience but I do not think so.

Lastly,there are 3 more things that could be done only for fun mode. Firstly add 2 more slots that are only in fun mode. After that increase the difficulty to 300/400/500/700/1000 for those wanting an insane challenge(this can be done without affecting the drop chances and stuff like that). And the last thing set a modifier for drop chance for items/tomes/gold.

Even if it's very rare these days, I could imagine playing with 4 friends on a rare occasion. Add all the above with the hardest difficulty It would be fun(even challenging) just blasting everything away with custom made heroes. Imagine just how insane the creeps would be on 1000% of the scaling stacks. Possibly even too strong

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Thanks to Vunjo for replacing me on this one while I was absent, he also brings some nice points.

@robizeratul:
1.) First of all, thanks for the suggestion. I'll share with you that many, many times during the development of Sunken City, I had some weird/interesting or fun ideas. I asked myself the question: "Wouldn't THAT be fun?". The answer was usually: "Yes, it probably would be fun." But everyone here (including myself) must take into account the fact that we are dealing with the regular World Editor. I am not using any different or special enhanced editors, because they disable certain key existing systems. I am also using GUI only.

2.) Yes, I can "hire" someone to do stuff for me. Make the "cool and interesting/fun" systems and/or modes. But in the end of the day, this map is my project, call it my "child" if you wish. I don't want to be lost in it only because someone came in and did his work by adding complex systems and coding.

I am mostly working alone on this. I have 1 artist, 1 advisor and coder and 1 terrainer who help me here in there, but I am doing the vast majority of everything you see.

3.) The World Editor limits. Maybe you wouldn't believe me, but... currently. Right now. I must remove triggers to add new ones. This means that the simplest thing you can imagine; opening a door, spawning an item, triggering an ability - all of this requires me to sacrifice something in order for the new one to be created. Sucks, huh? Yeah, it sucks for me twice as much, but as you can see I am dealing with it. I manage to make updates, upgrade heroes and so on. What you suggest CAN truly be fun. I completely agree. But it would require insane amount of work and resources that I simply cannot afford.

Think about it? Why am I so limited? Maybe you played Warchasers, I don't know - it's probably the first Dungeon Crawler ever created. It's just mindless monster slaying with kill tracking and heroes ( about 6-8 of them) created purely in Object Editor. People loved it. They made their own versions. They made their own maps like that; Explore the Ruins is wonderful example. It has about 10 heroes, simple, but custom made items and so on.

What does Sunken City have?
• 30 fully customised heroes.
• Over 550 custom items, many of them with triggered effects.
• Hero improving systems: ESC Stats, Glyphs
• Shop system.
• Chest, Backpack, Custom Gold and XP systems.
• And much, much more.

I am not saying all of this to brag about my map. I am trying to show you that I have built up A LOT on a map type that is overall... let's say "poor" in Warcraft 3. The existance of all those systems, heroes and items makes me hit quite a lot of limits which is the reason I cannot do these weird, yet fun things that you suggest.

I am sorry if that is making your experience with Sunken City worse, but I simply cannot make everything that mine, yours or anyone's brain creates.
I hope I am properly understood here.

Peace.

Level 6
thanks a lot for the eloquent answer! I love sunken city, one of the last good Warcraft maps out there. You have a talent for making the map better and better, no matter what version I play the game is always a little bit more fun.

My experience was always fun and I got a little "greedy". Maybe when the day comes and you leave the project behind you will be able to make some different versions of the game, or not, who knows... Hope that day will not come soon, thanks a lot for your dedication!

Level 1
Hi guys,Just now i download and start to play this game.I accept the post and follow the post to play this game.I will come back shortly.Please keep touch with us.Thanks for your informative post:ogre_love:

Status
Not open for further replies.