• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Defense of the Great Altar V 0.55

Defense of The Great Altar
By GriffonDefender

Map Info

Large groups of beasts are attempting to siege the Great Altar of The Defenders! Perhaps there is a greater power behind this than it seems. Either way, you cannot let them destroy the Altar! Defend it at all costs!

Build towers, summon units, and get heroes to defend the altar! Use all the resources available to you, as you'll certainly need it.

Note that your towers are NOT invulnerable! They will take damage, and will die! The high bounty given from enemies, however, and the large bonus at the end of a round, makes this more fair.

5466126_orig.jpg

Defend the Altar with everything you've got; You'll need it.
5579244_orig.jpg

Bosses are not to be underestimated!
339062_orig.jpg

Research upgrades to make your towers and units better.
3601017_orig.jpg

While Heroes may appear weak, they certainly are anything but that. Don't underestimate their powers, but don't leave them alone either.
5121420_orig.jpg

Eventually, aim to construct the Ultimate Defender Tower!

Known Bugs

The only current known bugs are:

If you block off the path entirely, the enemy AI will start to bug.

In a 4-player game, it is quite common for everyone but the host to crash on wave 5. This has been tested with single player and 2-player games, and does not apply to them. 3-player games have not been tested yet.

Splash towers damage allies. (Fixed!)

Pheonix's Phoenix form is bugged.(Fixed!)

Thanks to Mech Warrior for bug testing!
CREDITS

Helm of Willpower: Icon by StyxaneZ (BTNRunedHelmofWarrior)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...r-128909/?prev=search=Helm&r=20&d=list&page=2
Also, some thanks go to DigitalDemon for the tutorial on "stacking" items.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/trigger-gui-editor-tutorials-279/stacking-items-45226/

All credit in creation of this map, aside from that above, goes to myself for map design, trigger creation, unit creation, and a single model retexture. All other credit goes to Blizzard Entertainment for any models or features used in the standard game.

Version 0.40: First Public Release!
Version 0.45:
-Fixed Splash Towers affecting allies.
-Added Mana regeneration to the Altar of The Defenders.
-Added Repair to basic Tower Builders
-Added Defenses owned by the Altar to help at the start of the game.
-Very heavily lowered construction time on towers.
-Made the AI more smooth by changing the time between the 2 creep spawns per wave from 2 seconds to 10, and added a second AI player.
-Fixed Pheonix's Phoenix Form.
-Added attacks for the Altar of The Defenders.
-Heavily Upgraded the Defender Guardians.
-Added a preventative measure for AI Derps. (Creeps going back to their spawnpoint)
Version 0.50:
-Added Upgrades for all Elemental Towers.
-Added a difficulty choice at game start.
-Fixed the Green Player not giving any bounty.
-Added the ability to purchase tomes from the Altar of The Defenders.
Version 0.55 (Current):
-Added some slightly better terrain.
-Added new items.
-Fixed Cooldown with Tomes
-Fixed the Altar being Invulnerable for some reason.
-Fixed some of the Skill Icon positions for the heroes.
-A couple of other miscellaneous fixes.

What to expect next? Well, there is a certain mingame that I am planning on working on, when I get the time, of course. Also, expect perhaps a few more towers. Anyone who is willing to bug-test will be much appreciated for their efforts.

Also, there is more of a tutorial in the Help+Info tab (The Quests tab) in-game.

Enjoy!

Keywords:
Tower Defense, Warcraft, Towers, Defense, Heroes
Contents

Defense of the Great Altar V 0.55 (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet22:28, 12th Nov 2013700 Defense of the Great Altar (Tested Version 0.50) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet22:28, 12th Nov 2013

194715-albums6441-picture75028.png

Defense of the Great Altar (Tested Version 0.50)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"The game is on a different edge where towers are not invulnerable and requires focused attention in protecting your tower's survival status and how it progress in defending the main core of the game which is the altar, very unique and engaging."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain seems to look very blank, with such a small file size and space, I can recommend you to work on good looking environment terrain work if you do have plans in making on your newer versions."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Overall map can be useful."

Total Score: (Gameplay[x/5] + Terrain[x/5] + Management[x/5] / Total Score[15] * 50 + 50)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
8/1577%C

Now, to someone reading this, you may ask yourself why? This is because literally all my work here is rejected. And now that I look at it logically, I agree with the decisions made by the moderators. However, all I'm doing by submitting maps to here just to be rejected is wasting everyone's time: The community, the Moderators, and my own. That is why I have decided to stop.
Sorry, BUT no map waste our time, you know what? Moderator just approve & reject map to make sure the database is not full of craps, and their time on making decision is not a waste of time for anyone, in fact, they reject the map actually to TURN THEM INTO GOOD MAPS, some Maps here formerly is rejected, after several make over and rework, with Moderators decision, it's approved. You see what I'm trying to point here? I want to say that don't lose hope, it's bad and pointless, you can, actually, turn your rejected maps into a pack of approved maps, IF you follow moderators suggestion and advices.

Level 4

Sorry, BUT no map waste our time, you know what? Moderator just approve & reject map to make sure the database is not full of craps, and their time on making decision is not a waste of time for anyone, in fact, they reject the map actually to TURN THEM INTO GOOD MAPS, some Maps here formerly is rejected, after several make over and rework, with Moderators decision, it's approved. You see what I'm trying to point here? I want to say that don't lose hope, it's bad and pointless, you can, actually, turn your rejected maps into a pack of approved maps, IF you follow moderators suggestion and advices.

Masterfully put, I must say. If there was anything that could change my mindset, this would be it. All I'm saying is that, although I have no idea how many rejections some people have had, is that since not one thing I've made is approve-able, that I feel infamous for my rejections. I did debate putting work into my other maps to make them approve-able, but alas, I'm the person who can put everything into one map, then give up when it can't meet the standard.

*Sigh*...Curse being single-minded.

Either way, I will debate what you have said. It doesn't change how I feel about wasting time, but I will still make sure to debate much of what you've told me.

Level 6
Hey GriffonDefender,

My friend and I just playtested this on Battle.net. I actually have to say, I was surprised at how fun it was, given how simple it still is at this point.

Some suggestions:

1) Make splash from towers not affect allies. Our main base actually got killed by an Ultimate Defender Tower auto attacking enemies. In addition, most of my stuff got wtfpwned by my ally's Flame Towers early on.
2) Make your Towers bulkier, and make a Repair option (Repairmen, or Repair on the workers). This was a big problem for us. Towers were a very limited investment seeing as they only lasted 1-2 waves each. We ended up just getting every hero, and then experimenting with the Ultimate Defender Towers (which ended up killing our base on Wave 9).
3) Make Mana regenerate at the end of waves, like you do with HP. The HP regen option from base inbetween waves was great, but we needed Mana to go with it.
4) Fix the Phoenix hero's Phoenix Form. It's completely glitched. The first time I used it, I meta'd into a hero with no inventory and had to re-learn my abilities. The second time I used it, I turned into a Phoenix with no inventory and no abilities. When I un-meta'd, I was back at level 1, and had to re-learn all my abilities.
5) Give us towers to start off with, owned by a computer player. It would make the measly 60 second Grace Period a lot more manageable. Optionally extend the Grace Period.
6) You could use multiple Computer slots for your various unit spawns to reduce mass unit lag. Right now it's very visible and affects gameplay.
7) Expand on the existing tower builders, giving them more options. Right now there are only, I believe, 6 towers in the game. I'd love to see more!

Overall, this is a very good start to a game. Honestly, I think the reason you're getting rejections is because you are posting games too early in their development. I checked out a few of your other maps, and they seem to still be in the alpha-beta range. Why not wait until you have a completely functional, playable game? If you did that and followed the Hive's (rather anal) rules about crediting and making good descriptions, I'm sure your maps would get approved.

You are actually quite a decent game designer. I wouldn't give up, if I were you, I can assure you that it wasn't a waste of time playing your map.

Also, don't take map rejections personally; I know it's easy to, but just try to take criticisms in stride and improve upon the areas where your maps are weakest.

Anyway, good luck!

- Mech

Level 4
Hey GriffonDefender,

My friend and I just playtested this on Battle.net. I actually have to say, I was surprised at how fun it was, given how simple it still is at this point.

Some suggestions:

1) Make splash from towers not affect allies. Our main base actually got killed by an Ultimate Defender Tower auto attacking enemies. In addition, most of my stuff got wtfpwned by my ally's Flame Towers early on.
2) Make your Towers bulkier, and make a Repair option (Repairmen, or Repair on the workers). This was a big problem for us. Towers were a very limited investment seeing as they only lasted 1-2 waves each. We ended up just getting every hero, and then experimenting with the Ultimate Defender Towers (which ended up killing our base on Wave 9).
3) Make Mana regenerate at the end of waves, like you do with HP. The HP regen option from base inbetween waves was great, but we needed Mana to go with it.
4) Fix the Phoenix hero's Phoenix Form. It's completely glitched. The first time I used it, I meta'd into a hero with no inventory and had to re-learn my abilities. The second time I used it, I turned into a Phoenix with no inventory and no abilities. When I un-meta'd, I was back at level 1, and had to re-learn all my abilities.
5) Give us towers to start off with, owned by a computer player. It would make the measly 60 second Grace Period a lot more manageable. Optionally extend the Grace Period.
6) You could use multiple Computer slots for your various unit spawns to reduce mass unit lag. Right now it's very visible and affects gameplay.
7) Expand on the existing tower builders, giving them more options. Right now there are only, I believe, 6 towers in the game. I'd love to see more!

Overall, this is a very good start to a game. Honestly, I think the reason you're getting rejections is because you are posting games too early in their development. I checked out a few of your other maps, and they seem to still be in the alpha-beta range. Why not wait until you have a completely functional, playable game? If you did that and followed the Hive's (rather anal) rules about crediting and making good descriptions, I'm sure your maps would get approved.

You are actually quite a decent game designer. I wouldn't give up, if I were you, I can assure you that it wasn't a waste of time playing your map.

Also, don't take map rejections personally; I know it's easy to, but just try to take criticisms in stride and improve upon the areas where your maps are weakest.

Anyway, good luck!

- Mech

Well, I must say, thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to take into consideration what you've suggested. I must admit, it sounds kinda funny how the splash actually killed your base :p Anywho, I'll get to fixing that, with the other things, as soon as I can.

Level 30
I have to agree with Mech_Warrior, that idea can give your map a good revision, also I may add:

-It would be nice if the towers can be upgraded, and also has the ability invulnerable, this gives you damage support from incoming waves, so instead the waves only targets your units and heroes.

-The waves are a bit strong and spams 2 level types quickly, just release 1 type of creep wave instead of 2 this gives players more time to train than taking a deep defensive options.

-Remove the construction time for towers, this gives more agile move to all players when earning gold and so

-And lastly give the altar a healing factor for only allied units, a defense capability(spike carapace, attack damage?, splash etc.) so it can rely on itself for a couple of waves.

For now I'll leave this at it is. Good luck

Level 4
I have to agree with Mech_Warrior, that idea can give your map a good revision, also I may add:

-It would be nice if the towers can be upgraded, and also has the ability invulnerable, this gives you damage support from incoming waves, so instead the waves only targets your units and heroes.

-The waves are a bit strong and spams 2 level types quickly, just release 1 type of creep wave instead of 2 this gives players more time to train than taking a deep defensive options.

-Remove the construction time for towers, this gives more agile move to all players when earning gold and so

-And lastly give the altar a healing factor for only allied units, a defense capability(spike carapace, attack damage?, splash etc.) so it can rely on itself for a couple of waves.

For now I'll leave this at it is. Good luck

Well, these are some good ideas, though in the respect of changing the waves, I do plan to make the AI more smooth, (perhaps changing the time between the 2 different creeps spawning and making them have different AI controllers?) but not actually remove the second creep class. I'm quite busy as of late, however, when I get the time, I'll work on this map again.

Level 6
Hey again Griffon.

My friend and I just tested the new revision, and I have a few suggestions and bugs to report.

Bugs

1) Splash from the Ultimate Defender Tower affects allied units (Structures are safe now, but it was ohko'ing our heroes when we tried to engage the enemy).
2) Walls cannot be repaired. It says it requires lumber.
3) When we beat the game, the cinematic kept restarting over and over, flooding the field with Doom Guard guys, and skipping back and forth between lines of text.

Suggestions

1) Make an upgraded wall, and put an option to open/close it, imo.
2) Make abilities like Rain of Fire/Flame Strike not affect allies, or allied structures. It made the abilities useless.
3) Put a stock of 3 tomes instead of 1. Perhaps refresh them at the end of every level? Or just leave a long stock replenishment time.
4) Add items for the heroes. Specifically, we need some sort of Orb effect to hit air units, and other items wouldn't hurt as well.

Overall, it's definitely vastly improved from when I first tried it. Keep up the good work.

-Mech

Edit: One last quick suggestion. Rename the map using version numbers every time you update it. For instance, right now, your map name is simply called Defense of the Great Altar. Meaning every time I download a new revision it just ends up being Defense of the Great Altar(1)/(2)/etc. Instead you could do Defense of the Great Altar v.01, or whatever.

Level 4
Hey again Griffon.

My friend and I just tested the new revision, and I have a few suggestions and bugs to report.

Bugs

1) Splash from the Ultimate Defender Tower affects allied units (Structures are safe now, but it was ohko'ing our heroes when we tried to engage the enemy).
2) Walls cannot be repaired. It says it requires lumber.
3) When we beat the game, the cinematic kept restarting over and over, flooding the field with Doom Guard guys, and skipping back and forth between lines of text.

Suggestions

1) Make an upgraded wall, and put an option to open/close it, imo.
2) Make abilities like Rain of Fire/Flame Strike not affect allies, or allied structures. It made the abilities useless.
3) Put a stock of 3 tomes instead of 1. Perhaps refresh them at the end of every level? Or just leave a long stock replenishment time.
4) Add items for the heroes. Specifically, we need some sort of Orb effect to hit air units, and other items wouldn't hurt as well.

Overall, it's definitely vastly improved from when I first tried it. Keep up the good work.

-Mech

Edit: One last quick suggestion. Rename the map using version numbers every time you update it. For instance, right now, your map name is simply called Defense of the Great Altar. Meaning every time I download a new revision it just ends up being Defense of the Great Altar(1)/(2)/etc. Instead you could do Defense of the Great Altar v.01, or whatever.

Well, thanks once again for the feedback! I'll get to work on fixing a lot of that as soon as I can. And congrats, you guys made it to the final wave! It's a shame that it's bugged, though. I've personally made it to wave 20 myself. (But that is alone).