• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

default unit location after building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So for my map i have all my workers set to orc, so that when they build they go inside the structure to build it. My question is, once they finish building, they always reappear either on the bottom left or the bottom right of the building, I want them to appear on the top left of the building. Does anyone know how to make this happen?

Level 3
There is no constructing unit. I've looked all over the place and searched the forums top to bottom. There is no way to determine the unit that is doing the construction.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Alright, I threw together a system that seems to work.

When you issue an order to build a structure I add the Peon to a unit group and turn on a timer. This timer periodically checks if the Peon is constructing a structure, which will be true f the Peon is Hidden, Invulnerable, and not being Transported. Once it detects that the Peon is building a structure it looks for every structure within 1.00 range of the Peon, and unless your map has some strange mechanics, this should be the Structure that the Peon is building (Since they're stacked on top of one another). I then use a Unit Indexer to link the Peon to the Structure, so now as long as we can reference the Structure we can also reference the Peon that built it or that is currently building it. With this information we now have our "Constructing Unit" and can make the Move trigger to move the Peon into the correct position.
  • Track Order
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting a point
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Peon
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(move))
          • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(smart))
          • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(attack))
          • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(patrol))
        • Then - Actions
          • Set VariableSet Track_Unit = (Triggering unit)
          • Set VariableSet UDex = (Custom value of Track_Unit)
          • Set VariableSet Track_Order[UDex] = (Issued order)
          • Unit Group - Add Track_Unit to Track_UnitGroup
            • If - Conditions
              • (Track Timer <gen> is on) Equal to False
            • Then - Actions
              • Countdown Timer - Start Track_Timer as a Repeating timer that will expire in 0.10 seconds
              • Trigger - Turn on Track Timer <gen>
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
  • Track Timer
    • Events
      • Time - Track_Timer expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Number of units in Track_UnitGroup) Greater than 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Track_UnitGroup and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Set VariableSet Track_Unit = (Picked unit)
              • Set VariableSet UDex = (Custom value of Track_Unit)
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Track_Unit is invulnerable) Equal to True
                  • (Track_Unit is hidden) Equal to True
                  • (Track_Unit is being transported) Equal to False
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set VariableSet Track_Points[1] = (Position of Track_Unit)
                  • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
                  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 1.00 of Track_Points[1].) and do (Actions)
                    • Loop - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • ((Picked unit) is A structure) Equal to True
                          • ((Picked unit) is alive) Equal to True
                          • (Owner of (Picked unit)) Equal to (Owner of Track_Unit)
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Set VariableSet Track_Structure[UDex] = (Picked unit)
                          • Set VariableSet UDex = (Custom value of (Picked unit))
                          • Set VariableSet Track_Worker[UDex] = Track_Unit
                        • Else - Actions
                  • Unit Group - Remove Track_Unit from Track_UnitGroup.
                  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Track_Points[1])
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
                        • Conditions
                          • (Current order of Track_Unit) Not equal to Track_Order[UDex]
                          • (Track_Unit is dead) Equal to True
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Unit Group - Remove Track_Unit from Track_UnitGroup.
                    • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
          • Countdown Timer - Pause Track_Timer
          • Trigger - Turn off Track Timer <gen>
  • Move Peon
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes construction
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet UDex = (Custom value of (Triggering unit))
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of Track_Worker[UDex]) Equal to Peon
        • Then - Actions
          • Set VariableSet Track_Points[1] = (Position of (Triggering unit))
          • Set VariableSet Track_Points[2] = (Track_Points[1] offset by (-100.00, 100.00))
          • Set VariableSet Track_X = (X of Track_Points[2])
          • Set VariableSet Track_Y = (Y of Track_Points[2])
          • -------- --------
          • -------- This moves the unit without interrupting it's orders (This is useful since the worker will retain any order it was given while building) --------
          • Custom script: call SetUnitX(udg_Track_Worker[udg_UDex], udg_Track_X)
          • Custom script: call SetUnitY(udg_Track_Worker[udg_UDex], udg_Track_Y)
          • -------- --------
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Track_Points[1])
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Track_Points[2])
        • Else - Actions
This isn't a foolproof system and will require some configuration depending on the mechanics of your map. For instance, if your Peon has an ability that targets a Point (like Shockwave or Blink) you will have to manually add the orders for those abilities to the conditions in the Track Order trigger.

Example:
  • If - Conditions
    • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(move))
    • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(smart))
    • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(attack))
    • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(patrol))
    • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(blink))
    • (Issued order) Not equal to (Order(shockwave))
The reason I do all of this is because the system relies on the "build" order, which is an order that your worker is given when you tell it to build something. The thing is, the build order is different for every single structure. So it's easier to filter out the unwanted orders rather than checking to see if the order was equal to "orbburrow", "orcbarracks", "orcwarmill", etc.. for every single possible structure. Also, custom structures have their own custom orders, so I would need your map in order to figure them out.

Also, I specifically reference "Unit-type equal to Peon", so if your map uses something other than the standard Peon you will have to change this in the Track Order and Move Peon triggers. And if you want multiple types of Workers to use this system then you'll have to add an "OR" to the conditions to check if it's any of the desired Unit-Types.

Example:
  • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Peon
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Peasant
Final Note:
These triggers use this system: GUI Unit Indexer 1.4.0.0
If you already have this particular Unit Indexer in your map then you should delete it's folder since you don't want 2 of them. If there are 2 of them, delete the one that has "Copy" at the end of it's name/variable names.
In other words, delete the new one and KEEP the old one, otherwise there will be conflicts with the Variables.

Attachments

• Get Building Unit 1.w3m
    23.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Level 3
This is really good thanks. I was playing around with it and adjusted some settings and I can't seem to make it work like I want. If there is something blocking the way, i'd like the peon to move one position counterclockwise along building being constructed. so say there was another orc farm to the left blocking the exit, I'd like it to spawn to the nearest available space going counter clock wise.

I tried using the system with polar offsets and it doesn't seem to work either.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
That's a fairly complex system seeing as how each structure has it's own collision.

Edit: I tried to create that blocking system in this new version but it was tough to do. It does work, but it depends on the structure's collision/other circumstances.

Attachments

• Get Building Unit 2.w3m
    26.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Level 3
I have a question about terrain pathability condition. Does it take into account the pathability map of buildings as well, or just the terrain?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
It checks for cliffs/water/boundaries, but it doesn't check for units/doodads. That's why I check terrain pathability first and then check for nearby structures second.

Is Terrain pathable?
No -> Move on to the next point, skipping this point's structure check.
Yes -> Check for nearby structures.

Did it find a nearby blocking structure?
No -> The point is pathable and safe to use.
Yes -> Move on to the next point.

Status
Not open for further replies.