• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dawn of War II MP. Beta released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
The Dawn of War II multiplayer beta has been released on steam! OH YEAH! I'm getting it right now. Man, I am SOOOO psyched! If you got steam, you may want to hit this up yourself. I know I am. FOR THE EMPEROR!

Level 35
Mmm... Dawn of War II Beta... it is a strange thing indeed. It has improved on soo many areas in comparison to the original Dawn of War, but it has also changed some areas that die-hard fans of the first set of expansions will be sad to see off. However, despite the lack of base building (I was referring to that, yes, and actually now see how much better it is WITHOUT the bases), all I can see is improvement. One of the best thing is being able to get a wider variety of units. Devastator Squads and Tactical Squads! No more slip-shod combination! YEAH!!! :D

Level 15
Radeon fails. Go buy an Nvidia 9600 GT.

By the way, I've got an 8600 GT and I could run the game at max at more or less 30 fps.

One the I don't like about Dawn of War II is that the game doesn't feel as tactical (in my opinion) as Company of Heroes. I feel that the squad AI isn't as smart, since they don't seem to automatically run into cover and such when they're under attack.

I also feel they got lazy with the voice acting. Sometimes I don't hear the units say ANYTHING! I prefer the Dawn of War voice acting, but that's just me. I've only played as the Space Marines, but I assume it's the same all round.

Edit: To hell with the "not as tactical" thing. After giving this game a few more runs, I must say it is badass to see a Force Commander own a bunch of... well, ANYTHING, with a powerfist, and to see a bunch of Scouts with combat shotguns four-man an Eldar Farseer... man, that just goes to show how much they STILL suck.

Last edited:
Level 34
Dreadnought[dA];1004541 said:
Keeps telling me I don't meet the minimum requirements. Do I need pixel shader 3.0 or something? Radeon x700 is my graphics card and I have 2 gigs ram. Pretty sure 3.2 proc is good enough. Does the radeon not cut it?
A single core processor may have trouble, and that card may also be too old.
Is it something like this?
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

I'm stoked for the actual game, can't wait to get it.

Level 15
Did I forget to mention that Games for Windows Live sucks? It's not Relic's fault, by the way. It's because of a stupid contract THQ made with Microsoft.

Oh, and I totally annihilated the competition online with my righteous Powerfist. Owned em' bad with it, I tell ya'. Owned em' BAD!

Level 15
I'm talking about max settings. I squeeze about 30-40 FPS out of it. It spirals slightly downwards during major explosions and the like, but those last momentarily, so I'm ok.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I dought the game can be that demanding.

Anything below the X800 series of pre geforce 200 are not designed for proper gaming use. Eg the 8600 is almost the same as the 7800 if not slightly weaker (hard to compair due to diffferent DX support). The 8800 series however is drastically stronger than the 8600, by well over 50% I believe. The 9600 is weaker than the 8800 and even the 9800 is only 50% more powerful than the 8800 (mono v mono).

If an 8600 can max this game rather well, then a 8800 should max it in the 60 FPS. The 9800 should past max (better render options in driver) it at 60 FPS and the 295 should max it with extreem AA and AF.

Ofcourse, even a 7600 should be able to run the game in that case, but obviously very low graphic settings. Anything older than that is starting to get 4-5 years old and so can not really be supported.

Level 12
Bought it a few days ago and it is very demanding. I upgraded my video to 512 and 3 gigs ram now. I think you need like 4 gigs ram and 2 procs to run this game high end.

Something really wierd. I bought 2 gigs ram for $50. Less than a week later I saw a 512 for $60, a 1 gig for $80, and a 2 gig for $130 WTF prices?

Level 12
lol well that remark you made earlier about reading minimum specs makes you sound arrogant. Maybe it's just me @_@ but paychecks don't allow much computer spending for me. Here's what I heard. "Maybe if you had a better job you could buy a better computer"

The only thing I'm actually lacking in though is dual processors. Radeon R600, HD 2600 (512 ram) That should cut it for graphics right? BTW b4 u say buying a radeon was a bad move, it was only $50 lol

Level 34
Dreadnought[dA];1027455 said:
Bought it a few days ago and it is very demanding. I upgraded my video to 512 and 3 gigs ram now. I think you need like 4 gigs ram and 2 procs to run this game high end.

Something really wierd. I bought 2 gigs ram for $50. Less than a week later I saw a 512 for $60, a 1 gig for $80, and a 2 gig for $130 WTF prices?
As RAM gets older, it gets more expensive. In not too long, DDR3 will probably be cheaper than DDR2.

My friend has DoW2 and as soon as I get my computer up and running, I'll be getting it.
He's got a sick win ratio, and is Rank 11 now. He's been playing a little too much. Can't wait to team with him. :p

I've only played one skirmish as Tyranid, and it was pretty fun.

Level 15
I stick to the iconic figures of Warhammer 40,000: the Space Marines. Specifically the Ultramarines, because the first Warhammer 40k set I bought was Battle for Macragge, which starred the Ultramarines in their battle against the vicious xenos (Tyranids).

Level 3
Question: I'm having difficulties starting it up somtimes , it laggs like hell during the intro(!) and wierd thing is some times it works like a charm next day or even few hours later it lags like again.. its not that i dont have the requirements because i got more the enough. Anyone know why?

Level 12
The only real problem with the game is that certain races are better early and some late. Space Marines are far too strong late game and 3v3. Tyranids are far too strong 1v1 or early game. Eldar and Orks sit somewhere in between even though Eldar usually win SUPER late game (Avatar).

Mostly though, it's very well balanced. I can't believe they don't have genestealers, Land speeders, or Warbikes/Jetbikes @_@

Level 15
You gotta remember that it's how you USE the units of your race. Countering units with other units is a good idea, yes, but you can very well take down melee units with ranged units, if you set them up properly.

Level 34
Dreadnought[dA];1030722 said:
The only real problem with the game is that certain races are better early and some late. Space Marines are far too strong late game and 3v3. Tyranids are far too strong 1v1 or early game. Eldar and Orks sit somewhere in between even though Eldar usually win SUPER late game (Avatar).

Mostly though, it's very well balanced. I can't believe they don't have genestealers, Land speeders, or Warbikes/Jetbikes @_@
I'd agree. I found tyranids difficult to play in 3v3 matches, but I did pretty well in 1v1.

Level 22
fuck ultramarines, go black templar. i dont think they included landspeeders or those fast attack is since this is more infantry tactical warfare, with a couple vehicles mixed in as support. and anyways, i dont think anyone really uses land speeders in dow.

Level 13
Ultramarines OWN the heretic Black Templar AND the Tyranids at the same time. WHAT NOW, SON? WHAT NOOOOW?![/OFFTOPIC]
How are the Black Templar heretics? o_O

Lorewise they are more zealous and fanatical and dedicated to the Emperor than the Ultrasmurfs are.

Debate about the lore?
oTROLL-A.gif

New troll here.

On topic i've finished the campaign and the last mission is awesome.
Now I'm on multi and i found the game fuckin' hard.
I hate when you spent so much ressources on big vehicule and getting pwnt in 2 sec by anti vehicule infantry.This is so much rock pepper scisor.
And I dislike the fact that 1st tier unit become obselete so fast.
Basically you use them just to capture few strategic point early then tech mass vehicules.
Oh and I figured out what make the game laggy, It's their particle emmitter.I don't know how they made them but slow down the game as hell.

Level 34
Debate about the lore?
oTROLL-A.gif

New troll here.

On topic i've finished the campaign and the last mission is awesome.
Now I'm on multi and i found the game fuckin' hard.
I hate when you spent so much ressources on big vehicule and getting pwnt in 2 sec by anti vehicule infantry.This is so much rock pepper scisor.
And I dislike the fact that 1st tier unit become obselete so fast.
Basically you use them just to capture few strategic point early then tech mass vehicules.
Oh and I figured out what make the game laggy, It's their particle emmitter.I don't know how they made them but slow down the game as hell.
First you say you hate how anti-vehicle is too good, and then complain that all you get late game is vehicles? I don't get it.

I'm not sure if you're playing computers or what, but online most games end before many vehicles get out. If they do, there are plenty of infantry or heavy infantry that can take them down.

Level 34
Yeah, those damn shotguns own Tyranids. What about using warriors with the bio gun thingy? That would probably take them down pretty decent.

Level 15
I could take down a hero unit in a one-on-one with my Scouts /w combat shotguns, pretty fun to watch a hero get knock-backed every second by a bunch of scouts!

Level 13
I'm rank 9 and It says I gained upgraded armor stuffs for squads while reaching a certain rank.
I wonder if it affect the game and actualy make your unit stronger?
Doesn't affect the game at all, that would be REALLY stupid. They just make the units look abit different. However the Rank rewards are mostly just minor upgrades like some chains on the Space Marine's shoulder pads or a purity seal here or there or red scything talons for hormagaunts, etc.

Level 34
Doesn't affect the game at all, that would be REALLY stupid. They just make the units look abit different. However the Rank rewards are mostly just minor upgrades like some chains on the Space Marine's shoulder pads or a purity seal here or there or red scything talons for hormagaunts, etc.
What rank are you? What kinda cool stuff does Tyranid get? I've only seen some Space Marine and Eldar at high rank.

I believe those bling bling are disabled if you set model quality to minimum because I never noticed a difference.

I'm playing warp spider and It can flank any camper unit as easy as hell.
Tyranid ravener is also awesome thanks to galery.

Level 13
What rank are you? What kinda cool stuff does Tyranid get? I've only seen some Space Marine and Eldar at high rank.
I don't have the game but I read on a few guides. Anyways here are some of the unlocks:
Info:Ranks - DoWCodex

As I said, they are very minor for some time. In later ranks they start to become more visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.