1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Darkness Returns

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Daffa the Mage, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Didn't even notice the update. :xxd:
    One thing I must say, the terrain really needs some work. It's so flat and grass tile everywhere. No doodads whatsoever.
    Your hero has a lot of abilities. Not that it's something bad, but it's better to keep it at minimum yet very useful to complete the mission at first. And remove that fake invisibility, I seriously thought my agent was invisible.

It's not that important but at the beginning, why don't you turn on the cinematic?

2. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Welp, must be bombed out by the other campaigns. Yeah, a newbie's campaign is of no comparison to the masters.
    I agreed on the terrain, I'm lacking in the expertise and would be happy to get some help on it. I do try to improve them with each update w/ mah minimal terrain skillz (typo intended).
    I intentionally made them a lot for that arc. By far the first one I released is a chapter of the story's second hardest arc (and yeah, that chapter in Mastermind is near impossible w/o all abilities). I do minimize abilities in other arcs though.
    He is REALLY invisible, those Priests just cheat you out with True Sight :p
    You'll notice it more in later chapters (and when he's an enemy).

About cinematic, I'm having a hard time when it comes to cinematic so I just use those texts to make it easier :p

Also, I need opinion about Mastermind difficulty at most. As that one is the main story's difficulty, I would need to ensure that thing is a living hell, to live up to it's duty (and this campaign's annoying feature : making your life hell).

3. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Darn priests. I'll try playing it at Mastermind difficulty later. Since it's a campaign, maybe it's better to make the difficulty the hardest by default. :p

Maybe I could help the terraining a bit if I still have the skill to do so. :xxd:

4. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    "No no no, that'll never do. The patient must lie down still for me to drill proper holes into them." - Shadow Naoto (not exact quote, might miss slightly)

Nope, it's just plain hard that it'll gonna scare people away :p

Sure, would appreciate the help :)

EDIT :

Plugged an old chapter in the pack (Chapter Zero). Also, if things goes well, an update should be within this month or so. Also changed some descriptions in the main post.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  5. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    INFO UPDATE :

The new chapters are coming smoothly at least. The Chapter Zero has been implemented. Chapter One just need some finishing touch, and again, sorry for another shitty terrain coming right up in there.
    Also modified Vadrazus abilities, don't know if this made AoF 01 easier or not.
    Update should be out in a week or so.

EDIT :
    Modified Chapter 1, mostly story and some gameplay aspect. Expect tricky battles.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  6. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Second Demo Changelog :
    Added Grand Coalition Chapter Zero and Chapter One
    Added new scene on Agent of Fallen Chapter One (Mastermind Difficulty)
    Slightly improved terrain of Agent of Fallen Chapter One
    Some minor changes into Agent of Fallen Chapter One

Without further ado! Get it now at the attachment below!

Attached Files:

7. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    After slight test, I found Agent of Fallen 01 Mastermind is WAY EASIER than I thought. Might need to add more slaughter-fest to it.

Progress report :
    Chapter 01 Revolution Starts
    Splits the whole campaign into key parts (I, etc)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  8. Leo Akastenix

Leo Akastenix

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh dear... i thought it was quite hard enough..

9. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not as hard as some other campaigns I can recall in mind though :p
    And the test proves that it's feasible for AoF 1 Mastermind to finish in above 2 minutes mark with minimal casualties. The boss fight is also nothing much of taste as far as I am concerned and doesn't give a solid "boss fight" feeling.

10. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I run a personal test for the upcoming release of Darkness Returns. It will be uploaded to YouTube and shared here :)

EDIT :

EDIT 2 :
    After the next demo release, I will update the terrain for the old chapters. Especially you guys know which ones are pretty bland to look at.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  11. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Alright, before the update, I want to introduce 2 new enemy units you will meet at both old and new chapter :
    [PHOENIX GUARDIAN]
    If anything you will hate, you will hate this guy. Large chunk of health, Spell Steal, Magic Defense, and not to mention the Rain of Fire you all gonna love. Please, just die :)
    [ZEPHYR]
    To be fairly honest, I am inspired by Mental Omega for this one. This tank is basically a SUPER LONG range artillery. They even got exclusive chapter :p

Also, some changes for the old friends :
    Footman has new model
    AoF 01 now has some more surprises in store
    A gameplay change for GC 01, still a work in progress
    --------------
    Also, kind of need for Testers. Testers will get the map first before everyone and will be the one who do the initial feedbacks to tackle major issues before public release.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  12. Leo Akastenix

Leo Akastenix

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think my Crimsonguards suggestion sound much fancier :(
    Anyways, will try out that Zephyr.(Also add that Beacon?)

13. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Leo Akastenix Not suitable for low class unit :p
    Zephyrs are enemy troops for now. You'll get them on the mini arc though.

14. MouMou

MouMou

Resources:
    Resources:
    Interesting campaign, but sadly the campaign hasn't finished:(

@Leo Akastenix that doesn't sound so bad actually...
    @Daffa the Mage hmm does the word IRON EMPIRE sound good? I'm talking about creating a new faction.

15. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @MouMou
    All factions are already existent and the main plot is actually assembled. True that I have no actual plotline but I can guarantee that there won't be any major factions aside all I have revealed (including the two hidden ones). Minor ones do make appearances, but their part would be limited to two chapters at most.

16. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So, I want to inform that I have new terrain layout for the old map and the next chapter is slowly coming. I think it would be better to pending the update until 2 chapters are done so players get to see more.

I have to thank @ThinhHo for his aid in terrain making. I also want to thank @Rheiko for a terrain layout he sent me in the past, as I will use that in an upcoming chapter.

17. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Alright, the new 0.21 is here!

It doesn't add new chapters yet but give some overhaul to the old chapters. I thanked @ThinhHo for the help in improving the terrains.
    I also improved the gameplay and have the new unit : Phoenix Guardian, introduced into the story.
    Media update will follow later, I have limited quota so I need to consider before doing a video upload.

Attached Files:

18. Directive255

Directive255

Resources:
    Resources:
    This sounds cool!

But anyways, what's the difference in story between Mastermind difficulty and other difficulties? Why is the Phoenix Flames arc always set in Mastermind difficulty?
    And somehow this reminds me very much of Fallen Mage and TMK in the roleplays too... was the old lore based on, or heavily inspired by RACC?

19. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are many differences. The exclusive characters (eg. ??? in Agent of Fallen) will only appear in Mastermind. Some dialogues are Mastermind only as well.
    Phoenix Flames arc is meant to be difficult and only attainable by completing Agent of Fallen chapter related to it in Mastermind difficulty.

No, it's not. This is part of the old long story I wrote. There are some RACC references, as well as Hive Workshop, in this campaign. By reference, they also have a major appearance here *ups

EDIT :
    To be honest, I still try to dig up any files of the old campaigns in relation to this (they are nowhere near completion but might help slightly with the story).

20. Directive255

Directive255

Resources:
    Resources:
    So is Mastermind difficulty as hard as Mental Omega Mental difficulty? Are almost all, if not all, of the exclusive characters belonging to the enemies?
    Do we get any bonuses for our own side if we pick Mastermind?

never mind, I could just cheat for the story anyways... oops

Wait, RACC got a major appearance??? Yay! :D
    Is it the Shadowridge Empire, or is it just some fancy toys of the TMK? Nekros, no?

Well, sometimes looking once more at older prototypes give you inspirations and ideas, when you compare it to your current version.