• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Darkness Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for the one day late of release.

VERSION 0.30 :
  • Chapter One [Revolutionaries] Added
  • Chapter One [New Coalition] Added
  • Improved Terrain of Old Chapters
  • New skin for Alliara
  • More small changes I can't remember

NB :
There's a slight change in relation to the trailer regarding enemy troops used in Revolutionaries chapter. Still, nothing much of difference though.

Attachments

• Darkness Returns I 0.30.w3n
    2.5 MB · Views: 115
Level 9
Perhaps have some variations in troops for the Revolutionaries, New Coalition and Grand Coalition?

Footmen could be for Grand Coalition
Man-At-Arms for New Coalition[slighty cheaper but weaker]
Freedom Fighters(Melee version) for the Revolutionaries[More damage, less hp and defence]

Alliance Archers in my opinion only fits the Grand Coalition
Perhaps Levies for New Coalition[Cheaper but weaker]
Gureilla(Ranged) for Revolutionaries?[Permanent Invisibilty but much weaker]

Those are my simple suggestions.

Perhaps have some variations in troops for the Revolutionaries, New Coalition and Grand Coalition?

Footmen could be for Grand Coalition
Man-At-Arms for New Coalition[slighty cheaper but weaker]
Freedom Fighters(Melee version) for the Revolutionaries[More damage, less hp and defence]

Alliance Archers in my opinion only fits the Grand Coalition
Perhaps Levies for New Coalition[Cheaper but weaker]
Gureilla(Ranged) for Revolutionaries?[Permanent Invisibilty but much weaker]

Those are my simple suggestions.
I will take a look at these suggestions. I do aware I need to make a lot of compensation for these edits.

The campaign is now on temporal hold to make major rewrites for all tech-trees. The three different coalitions will not be so similar by next update (though I won't guarantee new chapters in exchange on the next release). I will also change some details of the main factions when the time comes.

Chapter Two of Grand Coalition is now on progress along with Revolutionaries tech tree (they make first appearance in second Revolutionary Coalition chapter). New Coalition won't have a big tech tree for now because they practically part of Grand Coalition, but considered traitors for their rebellion.

Level 5
So I tried my hand with this one. I fought with every chapter. While the story might be interesting, mostly because it makes me think of Warhammer :), I find that there are a few problems. In the very first mission "Final Training" I think the right side is easier than the left one, or maybe the computer is better than me(probably). The second mission was quite fun. The 3rd one is nice, but the Night Elf archers seem a little out of place, like the only night elf archer upgrades. In the next one, I really wanted to get mad because of the lack of Siege units, but I was too dumb to find them until almost the end of the game. In the final one, I have to admit that I could bare the torment of having so few units so I speed things up. Overall it was a decent experience, it wasn't the best, but it had it's good parts.

Also, if I might suggest, all those human factions are pretty much the same. The fact that they are have Coalition in their names dosen't make it any better. Maybe a name change could work?

@WarcraftLiterature Thank you a lot for all the awesome feedback! I truly am grateful. Have a cake reward :)

Anyway, for the answers :
1. Final Training is by far the oldest mission and one I test the least. I will keep note of this for future updates.
2. Thanks :)
3. Yeah, with High Elven at your disposal, it kind of make little sense for the archer quest. I will have a fix to that in line.
4. Both forces can build Workshop. Also, make sure to keep in mind that the blood mage's forces has master training for all his spellcasters. To be honest, the siege was not present in a closed test patch, and that chapter was hellish.
5. I am aware of that. You can abuse the bridge to deal with assaults and then counter. Remember, enemy don't rebuild towers so use your ranged hero's first skill to destroy them.

I have addressed this issue and currently starting to patch them. Modifying earlier chapter will cause a lot of inconsistencies to occur by accident, so these changes will most likely reflect to second mission onward. Slowly more existent as story progresses. I will try to have something that helps player to acknowledge which coalition they are playing at that moment.

Manage to wrap the next version up. I haven't finished for the whole tech tree but for now it will do.
New Coalition will stick with what it have for now.

I will have the next upload tomorrow or so. Can't just keep this not updated forever.
There won't be new chapters, just changes to old chapters (mostly Revolutionaries) and the ability to skip dialogues.

EDIT :
Ugh, I hate typo.

Last edited:
0.40 is out!

General :
Added a new tech-tree for Revolutionaries (they still use Grand troops in missions, but they will not after 2nd Revolutionary chapter)

Chapter 1 Grand :
Changes the assaulting Revolutionaries with their new counterparts
Replaces the archer guards

Chapter 1 Revolutionaries :
Changes Karizen's tech to Revolutionaries

Chapter 1 New :
Added a new hero : @WhiteFang

Also bug and grammar fixes in all chapters, hopefully I don't miss any, especially from @Wildfire tests. Kudos to him for helping me test this campaign!

Attachments

• Darkness Returns I 0.40.w3n
    3.8 MB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.