• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Hi,
Here is the new concept i'm working on:
130677d1384372423-dark-soldier-diablo_iii__reaper_of_souls_art_4.jpg

(Artwork from Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls)

And here is my progress so far:
130678d1384372423-dark-soldier-wip01.jpg

Attachments

• diablo_iii__reaper_of_souls_art_4.jpg
    diablo_iii__reaper_of_souls_art_4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 6,052
  • WIP01.jpg
    WIP01.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 803
Level 22
Dude you are awesome. Really. I have never seen a modeller working so fast and bringing concepts to life so good. I take my hat off for you.
Well actually it took me the same amount of time to do the hood, than everything else (because the hood is quite "unique" while for arms and legs i just slightly modified an existing model).
Thank you for the kind comment anyway! :ogre_haosis:
when i wanna say that u should fix the leg pants , but at the moment u had already fixed them ! wonderful ~ so u manage to give him debut animations ? :ogre_haosis:
Currently he just have the Paladin animations, i have now to modify them to fit his weapon.

Complete model is done!
Please give some feedback if you find anything odd.
130758d1384597186-dark-soldier-wip03.jpg

In my opinion, there are two things you got wrong:

First is the shoulderplate. Make it thinner (Y axis, right-left) and try to rotate it clockwise (frontal camera). And maybe just reduce its size by 5-10% overall.

Second, make the body thinner, so it resembles the one in the original picture. Maybe you want to separate the torso into two geosets, with the upper one overlapping in the middle (see your first picture). Give that one the heavy armor (metal) texture you are using for the full torso, and give the lower part the texture you are using on the upper legs. If I am not mistaken, it's the Campaign Arthas texture.

Everything else looks great :D
Hope this model gets decent animations, it would be a shame for such an awesome model to be ruined by low quality animations.

Level 18
In my opinion, there are two things you got wrong:

First is the shoulderplate. Make it thinner (Y axis, right-left) and try to rotate it clockwise (frontal camera). And maybe just reduce its size by 5-10% overall.

Second, make the body thinner, so it resembles the one in the original picture. Maybe you want to separate the torso into two geosets, with the upper one overlapping in the middle (see your first picture). Give that one the heavy armor (metal) texture you are using for the full torso, and give the lower part the texture you are using on the upper legs. If I am not mistaken, it's the Campaign Arthas texture.

Everything else looks great :D
Hope this model gets decent animations, it would be a shame for such an awesome model to be ruined by low quality animations.

i don't think he will follow ur "thinner" advice . yes , ur suggestion is right , make body thinner will be closer to the concept . but remember that it was made for the warcraft 3 game , so the consolidated style is much important . if he has thinner shoulder and body , it will not be suitable for the game .

Level 22
Thank you for your feedback Matija,
After in-game test i agree with you that the shoulderplate is a bit too huge.
Regarding your remark about the torso in two parts, it is already like this actually, though it's not really visible on the screenshot.

I will slightly size-down the shoulderplate and make the torso armor a bit lighter to get closer to the "feeling" of the concept.
However, as Paladinjst said it's important to fit in the W3 style and proportions, which means the model will never be as slim as the concept picture.

Level 22
Of course i will edit anims...
Did you see the last pic? the pose here is clearly different from the paladin one...
Attack anims require the most work because he obviously doesn't wield a hammer.
Maybe i will also modify the walk because i find it too much exagerated.

Level 5
I love the model! Have a quite unique style! Awesome, you could also create a unit version... That would be cool... Just a suggestion... ;)

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This is amazing! The ease and speed with which you have emulated the source-material is really quite impressive. The wrap, the mesh, the style... ahhh. This kinda stuff should really be announced somewhere, IMO. :p

(gosh even the TC is non-normal; you've shaded it slightly so it still shows through, but has a tint that matches the source-material!)

Moreover, being able to make/modify animations isn't something everyone can do, and I agree; good animations really push a great model over the top.

Man I wish I had a use for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.