• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Horde - Orcs Bundle

Orcs of the Dark Horde
"WE are the true Horde!"

After the Second War, Dal'Rend and Maim, serving as dual chieftains over the defeated Black Tooth Grin-Clan and the weakened Blackrock-Clan,
apparently rescued some of their warriors from the prison camps, set up a base in Blackrock Spire (and some in southern Lordaeron), and formed the Dark Horde.
These Orcs are as bloodthirsty and savage as the Horde of old and are as barbaric as from the First and Second Wars.
They became a beacon for orcs who longed for the old days, and soon, their ranks began to swell again.
They are fighting a war which they are unaware ended some time ago but realistically these evil individuals are well aware that their days are numbered.
Such knowledge has given them a grim mindset: they are desperate, bitter, and completely ruthless in battle.
The Blackrock-Clan re-embraced their demon-worshipping heritage and became a major problem for the Alliance.
The clan's warlocks predicted that demons would soon rain from the sky and that the world would burn,
referring to the upcoming invasion by the Burning Legion...

Updated November 6th:
Fixed the glitch on the peon's eyes. I also don't know what he found so interesting that he had to roll his eyes into his skull.

Contents

Dark_Grunt (Model)

Dark_Grunt (Portrait) (Model)

Dark_Necrolyte (Model)

Dark_Necrolyte (Portrait) (Model)

Dark_Peon (Model)

Dark_Peon (Portrait) (Model)

Dark_Raider (Model)

Dark_Raider (Portrait) (Model)

Hero_Grand Warlock (Model)

Hero_Grand Warlock (Portrait) (Model)

Reviews
Ardenaso
The execution is good, especially on the Grand Warlock; and the units are distinguishable enough from their original units. A bit of a non-issue that still needs resolving: the Grunt's metal parts and weapon do not disintegrate on decay bone...
Level 9
We will except seeing the Dark Horde Buildings or Heroes soon?
Dark Horde already has Blademaster of the Blackrock Clan. The troll bundle has an Amani troll war-master, the Ogre replaces Tauren melee unit, Ogre hero replaces Tauren Chieftan and Grandmaster Warlock replaces Farseer. As for buildings the Dark Horde pretty much used the same thing Thrall’s Horde used except dragons, that is one thing the Blackrock clan did have thanks to the Dragonmaw clan for their involvement in the Dark Horde. Only building that needs a new concept in the WC3 universe for the Dark Horde is a replacement for the Spirit Lodge rather than a WC2 Temple of the Damned since Gronn Skulls to make those temples I’m sure were limited. I feel like a simple looking orc tent of some sort would be sufficient with a Fel tone to it with skulls on the outside with fel fire braziers/torches or something. That can be used for spell caster units that delve in the fire, fel, and shadow magic. Something kind of like in the Warcraft movie in Gul’dan’s tent where it has the green light to it.

Last edited:
Level 9
I knew right off the bat that if a farseer could be replaced with a counterpart that is similar it would be a Fel wolf he would ride on which I never actually got in Warlords of Draenor but always wanted for my orc warlock.

Level 34
We will except seeing the Dark Horde Buildings or Heroes soon?
Yes and no.
I'll upload one more hero here with the orcs, but it's not finished yet, there's one tiny thing missing, but if I don't do it right, it just looks shitty.
The other heroes for the "Dark Horde" are distributed among the other bundles (Ogre-Magelord and the Forest Troll-Warmaster, as HankHell already kindly said) and there is already an optimized Blackrock Blademaster here on the Hive. You can see him in one of the pictures with the Grand Warlock. 🙂

[...] I feel like a simple looking orc tent of some sort would be sufficient with a Fel tone to it with skulls on the outside with fel fire braziers/torches or something. That can be used for spell caster units that delve in the fire, fel, and shadow magic. Something kind of like in the Warcraft movie in Gul’dan’s tent where it has the green light to it. [...]
HA! That's an idea. Sometimes I just think way too complicated...😂

Level 12
Good ones, as expected.

Come to think of it, we have yet to get a Fel Orc variant of the Raiders. What would they be riding in Outland/Draenor?

Level 3
Your Dark Horde Bundles are really cool. If it's not too much trouble, I wanted to ask some questions. While you have already made Ogre replacements for the Tauren unit and Tauren Chieftain hero, did you have any plans or ideas of making a replacement for the Spirit Walker? Also, did you have any ideas or plans for making flying units for the Dark Horde?

Last edited:
Level 34
Your Dark Horde Bundles are really cool. If it's not too much trouble, I wanted to ask some questions. While you have already made Ogre replacements for the Tauren unit and Tauren Chieftain hero, did you have any plans or ideas of making a replacement for the Spirit Walker? Also, did you have any ideas or plans for making flying units for the Dark Horde?
Nearly. ^^
The Orc Necrolyte is said to be the replacement for the "Spirit Walker".
In the early concepts for the Orcish Horde, the role of the spirit walker was intended for the current model for the orc shaman.
Actually, the Spirit Walker should be an orc, a different kind of shaman, so to speak. And the shaman actually had the green Orc Warlock model
(I'm talking about the SD model!), just less metallic with a leather shield etc.
That was then thrown overboard, but I found the distribution (for my idea "Dark Horde" here) more appropriate.
I think ogre magicians should remain something special and not be used in such an inflationary way that it comes across as every 2nd ogre can do magic.
I don't really like the new lore in that regard ^^
That's why I choose to make the Ogre Mage the Ogre-Hero.

In short:
Orc Warlock = Orc Shaman
Forest Troll - Hexpriest = Troll Witchdoctor
Orc Necrolyte = Tauren - Spirit Walker

Flying Units:
Yes, I'm just struggling with the animations. I have three ideas, but I'm not getting them the way I want at the moment.

Level 3
Interesting, I didn't know that about the whole likeness between the Spirit Walker and Necrolyte. What sort of abilities will your spellcasters use?

Also, are you willing to share what sort of flying units you are trying to make?

Last edited:
Level 34
Interesting, I didn't know that about the whole likeness between the Spirit Walker and Necrolyte. What sort of abilities will your spellcasters use?

Also, are you willing to share what sort of flying units you are trying to make?
I'm just making the models, I have no plans to make my own map or campaign. I only create them of what I think they should look like.
So I don't have any preferences as to which spells they should use or not, that's up to the one who wants to build the models into his map/campaign.
But if you look at necromancy like this, I would give the mage more of an Offensive-Supporter-Role.

A Black Dragon-Rider for the Orcs, and two Forest Troll-Flying Units. I won't say more about it now. ^^

Level 12
Love the models.

During the Stand Gold 1 and Stand Lumber 1 animations the Peon's eyes seem to be turning inside its head. In Retera I see the same thing with the original Peon as well, just less noticeable because its eyes aren't glowing.

Level 34
Love the models.

During the Stand Gold 1 and Stand Lumber 1 animations the Peon's eyes seem to be turning inside its head. In Retera I see the same thing with the original Peon as well, just less noticeable because its eyes aren't glowing.
FFS?
Why the hell is he doing this? xD
Thanks for the info, I think I already know how to fix it.

Level 8
Yes and no.
I'll upload one more hero here with the orcs, but it's not finished yet, there's one tiny thing missing, but if I don't do it right, it just looks shitty.
The other heroes for the "Dark Horde" are distributed among the other bundles (Ogre-Magelord and the Forest Troll-Warmaster, as HankHell already kindly said) and there is already an optimized Blackrock Blademaster here on the Hive. You can see him in one of the pictures with the Grand Warlock. 🙂

HA! That's an idea. Sometimes I just think way too complicated...😂
Nice. So After the Dark Horde Bundle do you ever have any plans on doing the Alliance One Next or just Horde like Fel Horde or something?

Level 34
Nice. So After the Dark Horde Bundle do you ever have any plans on doing the Alliance One Next or just Horde like Fel Horde or something?
Well... the last bundles I uploaded (Ogre, Forest Troll, Orcs and actually the Demons too) were actually clean-ups. 😅
At some point I had started the models, abandoned them and now I thought to myself: "Come on, bring the models up to your current level, rework them visually and finally upload them to the Hive."
So no. I have nothing of the sort planned with the Alliance. I'll probably go back to my Fel orcs and Demons for now.
But of course I will do the teased flight units as well. 😁👆

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
The execution is good, especially on the Grand Warlock; and the units are distinguishable enough from their original units. A bit of a non-issue that still needs resolving: the Grunt's metal parts and weapon do not disintegrate on decay bone.

APPROVED, nonetheless.

Btw, you do not need to make a custom facefx if you didn't modify their face meshes and animation nodes.

Level 34
I actually thought that ogre spellcaster is the Spirit Walker
Eh, no. 🙂
The Ogre Magelord is a hero unit, because the ogre mages are used a bit too inflationary for me. He's more of a magic-enabled tauren chieftain.
[...]

Btw, you do not need to make a custom facefx if you didn't modify their face meshes and animation nodes.
Oh really? I did not know that.
I always had the problem when I had the original unit (Vanilla Peon vs. my Dark Peon) on the map at the same time, so to speak, that only the one I had clicked on first could speak. The other was then always mute.
Excuse me, I had one more question. Did you have any plans for making replacement for the Kodo Beast?
No, because there is no (for me) satisfying and lore-friendly alternative to be found in the Blackrock Clan.
(No, bears are not lore friendly ^^)

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
I always had the problem when I had the original unit (Vanilla Peon vs. my Dark Peon) on the map at the same time, so to speak, that only the one I had clicked on first could speak. The other was then always mute.
you might have accidentally touched the said meshes when editing geosets, basically the nodes are jaw_bind, and lip_bind

Level 3
Just needs the Goblins and then the whole gang is reunited(excluding allies like the black dragons etc.)😉

Level 9
Just needs the Goblins and then the whole gang is reunited(excluding allies like the black dragons etc.)😉
I thought about attempting black dragonspawn. The dragonspawn models exist, just need to recolor them and maybe change out the armor a little bit. Lore wise I don’t think the black dragon flight allied with the Blackrocks yet in the Reign of Chaos timeline. Well, technically the Blackrock clan were actually servants of the Black Dragonflight though treated as allies in WoW classic. (Not a fan of WoW lore)

Last edited:
Level 3
Excuse me, I had a couple more questions. Do you have any plans for making replacement for the Kodo Beast? Also, do you plan on incorporating goblins into the Dark Horde in any way?

Level 34
Excuse me, I had a couple more questions. Do you have any plans for making replacement for the Kodo Beast? Also, do you plan on incorporating goblins into the Dark Horde in any way?
No, because there is no (for me) satisfying and lore-friendly alternative to be found in the Blackrock Clan.
(No, bears are not lore friendly ^^)
You asked that already.
And the Goblins... for now not really no. If I get an idea and have the time for Goblins.

Level 3
Excuse me, I had a question. While you said before there was no satisfying alternative for the kodo beast unit within the Blackrock Clan, do you think maybe an Ogre war drummer could work?

Level 2
How do I get it to work on my Warcraft Reforged V1.32? I say this because Blackrock_grunt does not load on the map. Can you modify it so it works in my version of Warcraft Reforged? Make it as a separate package from the one they already published. please. I know some of these models are for version 1.35 or 1.36. but most of us don't have the current version of Warcraft Reforged.:goblin_cry: