• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dancing Skull Tribe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27

main-header-png.368786

> Click here to download the race

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES

StrengthsWeaknesses

• Choosing Loas as you advance through the tiers offers great versatility, with many possible strategies and options.
  • Specialized counter units, unlocked by worshiping Loas and each one different from the others.
  • Unique upgrades that can enhance even more the capabilities of the units.
  • Powerful spellcasters, with good offensive synergies on their spells.

• Versatility comes at the cost of having to choose your strategy with anticipation, as you can only worship one Loa per tier.
  • Counter units are made to counter specific enemies, so they excel against their target unit but are weak against others.
  • Unique upgrades are expensive and should be researched if you have enough resources.
  • Lack of ranged siege weaponry, relying on melee siege units to destroy buildings.

UNITS

TIER 1

Faithful

Flayer

btntrollfaithful-png.369015

Basic worker unit. Can harvest gold and lumber, build structures, and Repair. Can gain the Torchlight upgrade.
pasinv_torch_lit-png.369017
TorchlightAllows Faithfuls to see as far at night as they do during the day, and deal additional damage against buildings and mechanical units.

btntrollflayer-png.369013

Savage troll hunter who can attack at melee. Can learn the Throwing Knives upgrade to gain a ranged attack mode.
btnability_rogue_focusedattacks-png.369016
Throwing KnivesThe Flayer swaps from using melee to ranged attacks. Changes damage type to Pierce and armor type to Medium.

TIER 2

Hemomancer

Medium

Ripper

btnbloodtrollmage-png.369014

Primary spellcaster. Can initially cast Transfusion, which transfers hit points from enemies to allies. Can also learn Blood Pact and Hemoplague.
atcability_deathknight_desolation-png.367394
TransfusionDrains some hit points from a random nearby enemy unit and gives it to a target friendly non-mechanical wounded unit. Units affected by a Hemoplague will be drained from more hit points. If there are no nearby enemies, the Hemomancer will heal hit points to the target at the cost of his own. Doesn't cost hit points when used between Hemomancers.
btnability_deathwing_bloodcorruption_death-png.367396
Blood PactThe Hemomancer and the target unit pay a percentage of their current hit points to remove all buffs from both. Deals damage to summoned units.
btnspell_animarevendreth_buff-png.367395
HemoplagueInfects the target unit and nearby enemies around it with a virulent plague. The plague reduces attack speed and armor to affected units. Units affected by a Hemoplague will be drained from more hit points when Transfusion is cast on them.

btnbloodtrollmedium-png.369018

Only available to worshipers of Ptyas.
Ranged anti-spellcaster unit. Has the Tormented Souls ability, which silences enemy spellcasters and makes the Medium immune to spells. Can see invisible units. Can learn the Spectral Infusion upgrade.
passpell_shadow_deathsembrace-png.369022
Tormented SoulsWhen the Medium attacks an enemy with mana, she will send an evil ghost that moves towards the target, dealing additional damage on impact. The ghost feeds on target's mana, silencing it for some seconds. The ghosts also protect the Medium, rendering her immune to spells.
passpell_shadow_haunting-png.369020
True SightReveals nearby invisible units.

btnbloodtrollripper-png.369019

Only available to worshipers of Althekk.
Fast assault unit. Good at raiding buildings and villagers. Can learn the Tribal Hunter ability.
pasbloodrage_icon-png.369021
Tribal HunterThis unit deals additional damage against enemy workers.

TIER 3

Bloodsinger

Skyterror

Screecher Bat

Shadeweaver

btntrollbloodsinger-png.367392

Offensive spellcaster. Can initially cast Defile, which reduces enemies damage and physical resistance. Can also learn Null Ward and Gore Beast.
atcspell_deathknight_strangulate-png.367433
DefileEnfeebles the target enemy unit, reducing its attack damage and physical damage resistance.
btnspell_shadow_callofbone-png.367434
Null WardSummons an immovable ward that emits pulses of negative energy every few seconds, burning mana of nearby enemy units. The Mana combusts, dealing damage to the affected units.
btnspell_priest_psyfiend-png.367435
Gore BeastSummons a bloody beast to attack enemies. On each attack, the beast lifesteals by a percentage of its damage and gains attack damage and attack speed.

btnskyterror-png.369025

Versatile flying unit. Good at scouting. Can gain the Hunting Packs ability and the Air Superiority upgrade.
pasraptorloyalty-png.369026
Hunting PacksThis unit gains attack speed and extra chance of deal a critical attack with each nearby ally that also has this ability. Updates when attacking.

btnbat_by67chrome-png.369023

Only available to worshipers of Nan'zlum.
Small aerial creature, cheap and very effective in groups against flying enemies. Has the Paralyzing Screech ability, which gives a chance of stun enemies on attacks. Can detect invisible units. Can learn the Swarm of Bats upgrade.
passpell_nature_astralrecal-png.369027
Paralyzing ScreechGives a chance that an attack will stun the target flying unit for a few seconds.
pasbatsight-png.369047
EcholocationReveals nearby invisible units.

btncryptbeast-png.369024

Only available to worshipers of Maqtans.
Troll shaman riding a giant spider. Fast and effective against melee units, but weak against ranged units. Has the Grim Coil ability, which deals extra damage against melee units and gives a bouncing attack. Can learn the Shadowy Arts upgrade.
passpell_shadow_shadowward-png.369029
Grim CoilShadeweaver's attacks bounce off and hit an additional enemy. When attacking a melee unit, the attack deal additional damage. Instead, if its a ranged unit, the attack will be reduced to a percentage of the original damage.

TIER 4

Jungle Stalker

Manticore

Direhorn

btnability_mount_raptor-png.369030

Fierce melee raptor rider. Can gain the Hunting Packs ability.
pasraptorloyalty-png.369026
Hunting PacksThis unit gains attack speed and extra chance of deal a critical attack with each nearby ally that also has this ability. Updates when attacking.

btnwyvern-png.369032

Only available to worshipers of Shyl'azzi.
Heavy flying creature that hurls fireballs. Powerful against land units and buildings. Can learn the Blazing Shards ability.
pasability_mage_arcanebarrage-png.369034
Blazing ShardsOn each attack, the Manticore fires a second smaller fireball at a nearby enemy ground unit or building, dealing damage. Can be launched at the same target as the main attack. Damage increases for each damage upgrade.

btndirehorniconfirst-png.369031

Only available to worshipers of Zwambadi.
Fortified melee land creature. Slow but effective at demolishing buildings. Can learn the Beast Endurance upgrade.

HEROES

Warmother

Blood Witch

Corpse Monger

btnclanqueen-png.369479

Warrior Hero, exceptional in melee assaults and empowering allies. Can learn Decimate, Guillotine, Mayhem Aura and Undying Trance.
btnwarrior_wild_strike-png.369637
DecimateThe Warmother swings her axes and strikes the target unit and nearby enemies around it, dealing an amount based on Hero's strength as damage.
btnmurder-png.369636
GuillotinePerforms a devastating blow, dealing high damage. If the target unit is killed by this ability, nearby enemies will be demoralized, reducing their attack speed for a few seconds.
pasachievement_bg_killingblow_berserker-png.369638
Mayhem AuraGrants nearby friendly units a chance to increase their attack damage for a few seconds when attacking.
btnability_rogue_vendetta-png.369635
Undying TranceThe Warmother becomes completely immune to death for the duration, refusing to drop below a percentage of her maximum hit points and increasing her attack speed.

btnpythonwarrioress-png.369478

Cunning Hero, adept at hunting down priority targets. Can learn Hemorrhage, Sanguine Mist, Crimson Huntress and Rampage.
btn_cr_blood-png.369740
HemorrhageCauses an enemy unit's skin to rupture, dealing damage per second. Multiple Hemorrhages can stack in the same unit.
btnability_ironmaidens_whirlofblood-png.369739
Sanguine MistCasts a red mist around the Hero that reduces the movement speed of nearby enemies. The mist follows the Blood Witch and grants her maximum movement speed and spell resistence while active.
pasability_demonhunter_brandofthehunt-png.369741
Crimson HuntressGives the Hero an attack speed boost based on target's missing hit points. When the Blood Witch attacks a target afflicted with Hemorrhage, she will gain hit points and mana.
pasbloodlust2-png.369743
RampageAllows the Blood Witch to regain a percentage of her maximum hit points each time she kills an enemy. Also enhances her other abilities:
-Hemorrhage: Gives a chance to apply the current level of Hemorrhage when attacking enemies.
-Sanguine Mist: Increases the spell resistance.
-Crimson Huntress: Attacks against enemies without Hemorrhage now life-steal by half of the normal amount.

btncorpsemonger-png.369473

Mystical Hero, exceptional at supporting allies and cursing enemies. Can learn Malefice, Voodoo Restoration, Soul Harvest and Rain of Blood.
btnmalefice-png.369474
MaleficeCurses the target unit with voodoo magics, causing it and nearby enemies to take damage every 2 seconds, starting immediately when the spell is cast. Deals up to 4 burst of damage.
btnconverttochaos-png.369477
Voodoo RestorationThe Hero focuses his magic to heal nearby organic allied units per second, costing Corpse Monger mana every second this ability is active. Doesn't interrupt Rain of Blood.
atcsoulharvest-png.369475
Soul HarvestAbsorbs the soul of a fallen enemy and restores a percentage of the Hero's maximum mana.
btnbloodoffering-png.369476
Rain of BloodCauses a damaging rain that corrodes the flesh of nearby enemy organic units around the Hero, dealing a percentage of unit's missing hit points as damage every second.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Incredible work & presentation.

//EDIT// - Actually finished reading through it all, couple quick notes:
- Ho man, feels like either "Decimate" or "Guillotine" are more 'Ultimate' hero ability names than "Undying Trance". Just my personal feeling. : )

- "priority" (on the Blood Witch description)
- "Blood Rain" or "Rain of Blood" (Corpse Monger spells say both)

Last edited:
Level 27
You really managed to capture that feeling you get from Blood Trolls in WoW. Great job!

It's funny because I never played WoW, I only read through the Blood Trolls articles on the Wowpedia and there I got the inspiration for the race :D

Incredible work & presentation.

//EDIT// - Actually finished reading through it all, couple quick notes:
- Ho man, feels like either "Decimate" or "Guillotine" are more 'Ultimate' hero ability names than "Undying Trance". Just my personal feeling. : )

- "priority" (on the Blood Witch description)
- "Blood Rain" or "Rain of Blood" (Corpse Monger spells say both)

I was deciding between "Blood Rain" or "Rain of Blood" at the beginning, but I chose the latter as it feels more like ultimate spell.

That grammar error in Blood Witch description will be fixed in the next update.

There's a level of effort in this presentation style that blows me away. I'm particularly intrigued by the concept of "tier 4" units, very intriguing :)

Ironically, this presentation took less effort and time than the previous ones :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
While I still love the presentation, one thing I would encourage you to consider is to strip out all the numbers & just describe what the abilities do in a general sense; the numbers are some of the most volatile parts of design, since they can be changed so easily for balance purposes. Saves your presentation from becoming quickly outdated. : )

Level 27
While I still love the presentation, one thing I would encourage you to consider is to strip out all the numbers & just describe what the abilities do in a general sense; the numbers are some of the most volatile parts of design, since they can be changed so easily for balance purposes. Saves your presentation from becoming quickly outdated. : )

Yes, I'll remove those numbers when I release the next update of the race, probably this thursday.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You couldn't find anything more fitting than Manticores?
Well Trolls go really well with a number of wild beasts, and Manticores are a pretty rich untapped vein of mythological animals that could dwell in the swamps of the (Blood?) Trolls. You could make the argument that they fit. Apex predator stuff, y'know?

(I wouldn't make that argument; I prefer my Manticores elsewhere, and also prefer my (Jungle) Trolls almost entirely based on reptiles/amphibians/insects rather than dumb jaguars & hawks & whatnot. But to each their own.)

Status
Not open for further replies.