• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Damage Detection with non-triggered spell support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I'm really needing some sort of damage detection engine with basic WC3 non-triggered spell support. I'm not sure there's too many out there but I know there must be one that exists. Currently; I am using Looking_for_help's which works fairly well; but it has a fair share of problems (such as ALL physical damage being auto-attack damage)

Anyone who could point me in the direction of something that could satisfy this niche would have my undying gratitude. Basically all I am looking for is a non-buggy, non-leaking replacement for "A unit takes damage" to trigger my custom on auto-attack abilities.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I'm really needing some sort of damage detection engine with basic WC3 non-triggered spell support.
I'm not sure tho, but most modern DDS (which support damage type detection) always have bugs regarding to some of native abilities. However there are always some tricks to fix those bugs, even if you need to trigger that ability. You can avoid these bugs by using old school DDS like Weep's GUI DDS or Cokeymonkey11's GDD (without damage type detection). But at cost of unability to detect the damage type.

such as ALL physical damage being auto-attack damage
What do you mean? I don't understand. Especially that "auto-attack abilities" part.

Basically all I am looking for is a non-buggy, non-leaking replacement for "A unit takes damage" to trigger my custom on auto-attack abilities.
Most approved DDS are bug-free and guaranteed to be leakless. So you need to mention more about what bugs that bother you.

Level 7
I'm not sure tho, but most modern DDS (which support damage type detection) always have bugs regarding to some of native abilities. However there are always some tricks to fix those bugs, even if you need to trigger that ability. You can avoid these bugs by using old school DDS like Weep's GUI DDS or Cokeymonkey11's GDD (without damage type detection). But at cost of unability to detect the damage type.

What do you mean? I don't understand. Especially that "auto-attack abilities" part.

Most approved DDS are bug-free and guaranteed to be leakless. So you need to mention more about what bugs that bother you.

What I mean is if I want an ability like "Theres a 35% chance on attack to reduce your target's life by 3%" for example, the only alternative I have to doing this is by using "A unit takes damage" which is REALLY buggy.

What I NEED is a damage system that ONLY scans for auto-attacks. I use alot vanilla spells in my map (significantly edited, mind you) and I don't want to remake a large vocabulary of my Heroes to use a damage detection engine that only supports triggered spells...

As I mentioned before I -am- using a DDS (Looking_for_help's) and while it works with vanilla spells it doesn't quite work as well as I'd like (If I want physical damage on an ABILITY, the system assumes that it's an auto-attack)... Basically, all I'm looking for is a system that I can use and still make use of Vanilla WC3 abilities -AND- have triggered spells that use damage types such as Physical without the system automatically assuming that ALL physical damage is from auto-attacks.

Make sense?

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
What I mean is if I want an ability like "Theres a 35% chance on attack to reduce your target's life by 3%" for example, the only alternative I have to doing this is by using "A unit takes damage" which is REALLY buggy.
Perhaps it's caused by GetWidgetLife bug on lfh's DDS. You need to read his documentation, he added a bonus function to avoid this bug.

As I mentioned before I -am- using a DDS (Looking_for_help's) and while it works with vanilla spells it doesn't quite work as well as I'd like (If I want physical damage on an ABILITY, the system assumes that it's an auto-attack)... Basically, all I'm looking for is a system that I can use and still make use of Vanilla WC3 abilities -AND- have triggered spells that use damage types such as Physical without the system automatically assuming that ALL physical damage is from auto-attacks.
Hmm. Perhaps try to get units current order on damage event. If the order is "attack" or "smart", that indicates the damage come from "auto-attack". It won't be accurate tho. I'm not sure if any DDS supports this feature, not yet.

Level 3
Then make those spells that you want to be physical damage be casted by a dummy. That way, you will easily differentiate physical damage from spells and physical damage from attacks. Don't worry, you will only need to edit those spells that deal physical damage (i think you don't have much of them), or if you don't want to edit, change those physical spells to magic or something..It is now based on you to weigh things

Level 7
Perhaps it's caused by GetWidgetLife bug on lfh's DDS. You need to read his documentation, he added a bonus function to avoid this bug.

...? I believe you're misunderstanding me. LFH's system isn't buggy it's just not exactly what I need and has various quirks. What you quoted was me asking for a system that would allow me to do that.

Hmm. Perhaps try to get units current order on damage event. If the order is "attack" or "smart", that indicates the damage come from "auto-attack". It won't be accurate tho. I'm not sure if any DDS supports this feature, not yet.

I hadn't thought about that, it's a definite possibility. Though, I'm not quite sure just how stable or unstable it might be since a quick right-click could mean the spell becomes an 'auto-attack'? I'm not sure if it'd actually go down this way, though.

Level 3
That is why you just have to edit those skills that deal physical damage to be dealt by dummies... so you can do this

• Events
    • Game - PDD_damageEventTrigger becomes equal to 1.00
  • Conditions
    • PDD_damageType equal to 0.00
    • (PDD_source is A Hero) Equal to True
  • Actions
So that way, you are sure that the event will only trigger if the Hero deals auto-attack damage. If I am misunderstanding something, let me know. I'll try to find a better solution

Level 7
That is why you just have to edit those skills that deal physical damage to be dealt by dummies... so you can do this

• Events
    • Game - PDD_damageEventTrigger becomes equal to 1.00
  • Conditions
    • PDD_damageType equal to 0.00
    • (PDD_source is A Hero) Equal to True
  • Actions
So that way, you are sure that the event will only trigger if the Hero deals auto-attack damage. If I am misunderstanding something, let me know. I'll try to find a better solution

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. Hopefully it works since that'd be alot of work to reverse if it didn't :p Ah well, that's what seperate saves are for I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.