• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

CustomKeys.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
24.6.2014 Edit: I reverted the rally hotkey to F, so the images are no longer really valid, also fixed some abilities and units I didnt test and found out they were buggy(swapped)

Ever wanted to have QWER-based shortcuts for stuff in melee maps? Now here is the solution!

Please note that the tooltips are not changed, so they highlight incorrect letters(For instance, Paesant will still have P highlighted, even tho the shortcut for him is Q). I tried to do this, but my program failed and Ive been tinkering with it for few days, and I dont feel like wasting anymore time.

A few shortcuts are confusing, one is not working, so lets get a bit into how this is:

The system used by me is, that everything that doesnt have move command card will have shortcuts:

Q W E R
A S D F
Y X C V(or ESC if escape is at this place)

Heroes and units have special shortcut pattern, because of 5 preplaced commands on their command card:

(P is shortcut for Patrol)

M S H A(default ones, Move, Stop, Hold, Attack)
P D F G(Even tho there is pretty much nothing that uses D or F)
Q W E R

A few images(BEWARE, Rally and Chose Skills are assigned wrong keys!):

Acolyte has special ability: Sacrifice, which has shortcut V
136287d1403545941-customkeys-txt-acolyte.png

Paesant has special abilities: Call To Arms, and Back to Work. Call To Arms has shortcut X, while Back To Work has shortcut C, but it is not visible on this image
136292d1403546099-customkeys-txt-paesant.png

All races have the buildings assigned the same way
136294d1403546174-customkeys-txt-build-selection.png

All Buildings have assigned shortucts this way.
136304d1403546174-customkeys-txt-upgrades.png

All Altars have shortucts assigned this way
136290d1403545941-customkeys-txt-altar-kings.png

Every hero has shortcuts assigned this way, Archmage is just for example
136293d1403546174-customkeys-txt-archmage-skill-selection.png

All Heroes have shortcuts assigned this way, Archmage is just for example(Also note that he hasnt learned the other skills)
136288d1403545941-customkeys-txt-archmage-normal.png

All Buildings work like this. This is just example
136289d1403545941-customkeys-txt-barracks.png

Additionally, for better understanding, here is NE building:
136297d1403546174-customkeys-txt-nesentinel.png

Keep has the Call To Arms and Back To Work shortcuts
136291d1403545941-customkeys-txt-keep.png

Tree of life has 3 special abilities. Entangle Gold Mine(X), Upgrade for the tree form speed of all NE buildings(E) and Uproot(V)
136299d1403546361-customkeys-txt-netreeoflife.png

Scout tower can be upgraded to other towers. They are at bottom row, but Y is a lot harder to press than Q, so they have QWER based shortcuts, like heroes abilities

Scout Tower:
136302d1403546174-customkeys-txt-scout-tower.png

Ziggurat:
136305d1403546174-customkeys-txt-ziggurat.png

Just miscelaneous images of Obsidian destroyer's shortcuts:
136301d1403546174-customkeys-txt-obsidian-destroyer-standing.png

136300d1403546174-customkeys-txt-obsidian-destroyer-flying.png

Taverns have very special shortcuts, that are avoiding any logic whatsoever, because they start at second row, yet they are QWER-based. Image for better imagination:
136303d1403546174-customkeys-txt-tavern.png

Mercenary camps and dragon Roosts have the same shortcuts as building selection:
136296d1403546174-customkeys-txt-mercenary-camp.png

Last, but not least is Shipyard(no image), which only has normal ship in it, which has hotkey Q and Goblin Laboratory:
136295d1403546174-customkeys-txt-goblin-laboratory.png

1. This CustomKeys includes ALL melee units, buildings, heores, everything including abilities on neutrals from mercenary camps
  2. Towers are QWER-based
  3. There is a small problem with how Assassin is mixed with Kobold in Mercenary Camp(Village), so both of them have W assigned, but pressing W will only summon either Assassin or Kobold(This cannot be changed for logical reason, because Kobold is at W position, but Assassin is on W position in other Mercenary Camps)
  4. Move, Stop, Hold Position, Patrol and Attack have unchanged hotkeys for legacy reasons
  5. Build and Repair have unchanged hotkeys for legacy reasons
  6. There is a slight confusion when you want to revive your hero at Tavern. Because of the custom shortcuts, if your Panda for instance dies, you will have to press E for him to revive
  7. For logical reason, heroes in Altars are assigned QWER, even tho it should've been QASD for instance, for logical reasons
  8. The CustomKeys.txt contains only the very most important data(each entry has: comment above it, rawcode, hotkey). In future I plan to finish my program and I will be able to generate tips and everything with proper highlighting(so you wont have Paesant with P in yellow, but with [Q])
  9. New problems:
    • Kobold Geomancer has unsolvable collision with his Slow, which is assigned Q as shortcut and his Abolish magic, which is also assigned to Q. This cant be fixed, because other units use the same ability.
    • Satyr Soulstealer has spells that collide(Mana burn is originally at Q position, but his Raise dead is supposed to be there too with Q shortcut). The Raise dead ability cannot have its shortcut reassigned, because it is used by other neutrals, like nerubian webspinner with Q position. The solution for this I used was to force Mana burn to be at W position and it now has W shortcut
    • Uproot for ancients will always use Unhotkez, and will ignore Hotkez, and it is assigned V(to not collide with the backpack upgrade that is assigned R), so even if it was logical for the moving tree to have R hotkey for it(it has command card), it is not possible to do so and it is forced to have V for root back to ground.

3 types of CustomKeys are provided: Qwertz, Qwerty and Azerty.
More layouts are possible, just show me how you want it to be layed out(The way I create is I ran the CustomKeys over program that maps the keys from Qwerty(my keyboard layout, and the one with images) into the one we want.

Basically, Q on the images is the same as A on azerty keyboard.

So Azerty layout is for instance:

Buildings:

A Z E R
Q S D F
W X C V

Heroes:

M S H Q(It is no longer A, but it is at the place where qwertz/qwerty have A)
P D F G
A Z E R

If you think the Azerty keyboard would be more optimized with another key layout, or if you want your own layout, let me know and I will create one specifically for you.

All three types are included in here.

Dont forget to allow warcraft 3 to use CustomKeys!

136283d1403545544-customkeys-txt-allow-customkeys.png

Attachments

• allow customkeys.png
    allow customkeys.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 18,104
  • Acolyte.png
    Acolyte.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 17,111
  • Archmage normal.png
    Archmage normal.png
    68 KB · Views: 16,378
  • Barracks.png
    Barracks.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 16,136
  • Altar of Kings.png
    Altar of Kings.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 16,609
  • Keep.png
    Keep.png
    66 KB · Views: 15,876
  • Paesant.png
    Paesant.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 16,380
  • NESentinel.png
    NESentinel.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 15,952
  • Mercenary Camp.png
    Mercenary Camp.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 15,881
  • Goblin Laboratory.png
    Goblin Laboratory.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 15,657
  • Build Selection.png
    Build Selection.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 16,727
  • Archmage Skill selection.png
    Archmage Skill selection.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 16,469
  • NETreeofLife.png
    NETreeofLife.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 15,844
  • Obsidian Destroyer Flying.png
    Obsidian Destroyer Flying.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 15,748
  • Obsidian Destroyer Standing.png
    Obsidian Destroyer Standing.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 16,223
  • Scout Tower.png
    Scout Tower.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 15,928
  • Tavern.png
    Tavern.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 18,429
  • Upgrades.png
    Upgrades.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 16,167
  • Ziggurat.png
    Ziggurat.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 16,051
  • CustomKeys_Azerty.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,679
  • CustomKeys_Qwerty.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 9,187
  • CustomKeys_Qwertz.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 4,456
Last edited:
Level 1
grid

i used to have the grid set up i cant find my customkey.txt because my old pc is dead. can you set it up with the grid pattern for me please.

where Q is move A is patrol F is skill tree Z is build everything is grid using its position, stores, taverns, barracks, everything everything. i dont play dota i dont need warkeys if you can set this up for me i would rather repair my old pc then install warkeys for 2 minutes just to get the customkey.txt if you already have it installed you can do it in a minute.

q,w,e,r,
a,s,d,f,
z,x,c,v,

simple easy grid set-up for melee/ladder only

im trying to modify the sample.txt but its becoming a pain in the butt because i cant remember off the top of my head where everything is located and finding images online does not exist any reference of every image of commands.

EDIT: Never Mind Dude, I've asked I've waited, you could not deliver... I've Got The File Off My Old PC. I was under the impression you had a program that could do this in a minute. WarKeys is a virus. I've searched all over the internet for days for the file with no luck. Tons of people use this set up and no ones uploaded it online. So I've done it. I have the file here Download CustomKeys.txt from FileFactory.com

Last edited:
Level 28
Yo in 1.31 it doesnt work for me, maybe you can do something about it?
I think this thread hasn't been updated yet, but I would say the directory of Warcraft 3 data has been changed since 1.28+. They are now stored in Documents. However, there is a guide about the Custom Keys for the latest Warcraft 3 version (including Reforged):
Warcraft 3 Customkeys (QWER)
Take a look for "CustomKeyBindings" folder in "Documents\Warcraft III" folder. This is the correct place to put "CustomKeys.txt".
After that, remember to activate the Custom Key in-game options.

Level 2
I think this thread hasn't been updated yet, but I would say the directory of Warcraft 3 data has been changed since 1.28+. They are now stored in Documents. However, there is a guide about the Custom Keys for the latest Warcraft 3 version (including Reforged):
Warcraft 3 Customkeys (QWER)
Take a look for "CustomKeyBindings" folder in "Documents\Warcraft III" folder. This is the correct place to put "CustomKeys.txt".
After that, remember to activate the Custom Key in-game options.
Yeah i already did all of that and i dont want a different setup for my building
in the link you provided Build which is B for peons and others Its now Q.
Basically i just want a QWER for the heroes skills and QWER
ASDF
ZXCV
For the peons and acolytes.

Level 28
Yeah i already did all of that and i dont want a different setup for my building
in the link you provided Build which is B for peons and others Its now Q.
Basically i just want a QWER for the heroes skills and QWER
ASDF
ZXCV
For the peons and acolytes.
There are two alternate solutions if you are going to swap the keys rather than using "CustomKeys.txt": AutoHotKey and Warkeys

Level 28
How do i use ahk in warcraft 3 cause i only use it to afk on some games and warkeys is a bad app for me
A detailed guide on how to use AutoHotKey can be found here:
The definite Guide how to use Hotkeys in Warcraft 3

Although it has been updated to be compatible with Reforged, it should work on Classic, too. Just to remember:
1.The AHK file must be placed in Warcraft 3 directory (On Reforged, you must place it in "retail" folder).
2.After that, you just right-click on AHK and select "Run Script".

If you don't know about this trick, just rely on using "CustomKeyBindings" trick, which can be found in "Documents\Warcraft III" folder.

Level 2
A detailed guide on how to use AutoHotKey can be found here:
The definite Guide how to use Hotkeys in Warcraft 3

Although it has been updated to be compatible with Reforged, it should work on Classic, too. Just to remember:
1.The AHK file must be placed in Warcraft 3 directory (On Reforged, you must place it in "retail" folder).
2.After that, you just right-click on AHK and select "Run Script".

If you don't know about this trick, just rely on using "CustomKeyBindings" trick, which can be found in "Documents\Warcraft III" folder.
Thx man

Status
Not open for further replies.