• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Customizing a map...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hi there. I've tried searching the forum. Either I typed the wrong keywords, or this question had never been asked before. I'm sure everyone is familiar with DotA. If you're a hater of it, just read on my question. Its just an example. There's a map in playdota that not only changed DotA models and effects, it's also PLAYABLE with other original DotA map players. Its not done by changing the mpq. You'll just have to download it and play it with other original map players.

I'm sure changing the path of the model I imported into it to match with the original model's path and delete the original ones in the Import Manager will do the trick. But if I wanted to change the skin/model of a hero that uses in-game skin/model, I'll have to import a extra skin/model for it. So i want to ask if I IMPORTED an extra skin/model rather than REPLACING the original skin/model in the Import Manager, is it still playable with other original map players? (provided that the 8mb file size is not exceeded)

I'm sorry for the long question but I just don't know how to describe briefly of what i'm asking. Replies are very appreciated. :grin:

Level 20
After you import the model without replacing the original, you have to set the filepath in the object editor to the one you're going to use.

Level 12
Can I change the model (the one without replacing any imported model) into the path of the in-game model used by the hero? And if i do that, is it still playable with other players that are still using the original map? If i just added custom models(not replacing any model in the Import Manager) without changing any other settings like triggers, constants, map details etc, can i use the map to play with players using the original map?

Level 12
So even if i had different imports than the original map, it is still playable with original map rite? Lets say I have 2 same maps, only difference is one have 100+ imports, another one doesn't have any imports. Are they still playable together?

Status
Not open for further replies.