• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Water Colour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
How do i change the water colour in certain areas using GUI and regions specifically i know how to change global water tint but i don't know how to do region specific tinting

Level 5
With the normal editor (I haven't used unlimited, so I don't know it's "limits"), the only possible way I could think of to change water tinting is to place something colored behind it (a doodad flattened out and changed to be a bright purple for example), or to use some sort of thick, local fog.

But to answer your question of, "is there a way to do it that similar to the way I already know how", the answer is...

no.

Level 8
You can trigger it.

But it is not effective if you have more than one player.

It would be something along the lines of

Event: Unit enters XXX region

Conditions:

Actions:

--->Environment - Change water tinting color to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency

Set the percents as needed.

of course if you have more than one player then the color of all the water changes across the board.

One thing you could do is use Waterfall - customize it to where you can get its scale down real low - color it the color you want - plop it and then flatten it out.

Level 34
Wraithwynd has the only answer. The same is true for fog. :(

Wait! You can use the custom water in the UTM. It has a few colors. Try that!

Conditions:

Actions:

--->Environment - Change water tinting color to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency

Yes, you can do that, or have it at map initialization. Stuff at map initialization sometimes don't work though, so just to be on the safe side:
  • Water Tinting
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed Game Time Equal to 1.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Environment - Change water tinting color to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency

Level 34
Yes, you can do that, or have it at map initialization. Stuff at map initialization sometimes don't work though, so just to be on the safe side:
  • Water Tinting
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed Game Time Equal to 1.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Environment - Change water tinting color to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency

Why do this. You can do the same thing with the Scenario editor.

You can trigger it.

But it is not effective if you have more than one player.

It would be something along the lines of

Conditions:

Actions:

Set the percents as needed.

of course if you have more than one player then the color of all the water changes across the board.

One thing you could do is use Waterfall - customize it to where you can get its scale down real low - color it the color you want - plop it and then flatten it out.

Why do this. You can do the same thing with the Scenario editor.

Woops, yea, I forgot about that.

Also, the waterfall idea is not bad. It could lag if clumped together though, so be wary.

In JASS, there isn't a possible way either I believe. From what I know of.

So, there isn't too much of a choice. The custom water or waterfalls are probably your only choices..

Level 4
K so i spose ill have to do the waterfall option cause i need different water colours in other places, i know how to change it globally everyone told me that like 15 times but the flattened doodad and the waterfall is my best option i think cause i need it to look like lava for a volcanic region thanks everyone... ok just tried waterfall wont work to well, 1 cause it goes over my max doodads limit and it still has blue water splash

Level 8
K so i spose ill have to do the waterfall option cause i need different water colours in other places, i know how to change it globally everyone told me that like 15 times but the flattened doodad and the waterfall is my best option i think cause i need it to look like lava for a volcanic region thanks everyone... ok just tried waterfall wont work to well, 1 cause it goes over my max doodads limit and it still has blue water splash

Are you using any tiles that are lava under the water? If not, are you able to switch out a tile or customize with one lava tile without wrecking your map?

If no, then could you make your map available to me (unprotected please) and I will use WEunlimited to add tiles to it including the lava set.

The only tile I would not be able to add is the dark brick of the sunken ruins (kind of brownish with a blue tint to it). WEU allows up to 16 tiles - so if you give me a short list I could add them to your tileset and you can use them - you will NOT be able to modify the tile set with 16 tiles through regular editor once I do that.

I'm thinking you can get the same effect with the right lava tile.

I have TFT in that there is a cinematic doodad called "rising water" The problem is that it cycles through rising and falling.

Perhaps if you used that over lava terrain without water?

How silly of me. I forgot one can stop the animation of doodads or kill them and other things with a trigger:

Animation - Play the stand animation for all doodads of type Rising Water Wide within (Playable map area)

You will have to type in the word Stand in that line but what will happen is that all of the water will rise to its highest point then stop being animated.

That should solve your problem.

Last edited:
Level 4
Thanks but no thanks wraith ive just made it so its lava tile with fire small doodad scattered all over it so looks like lava thanks anyway, plus ive heard some bad things about WEU... but thanks again

Level 8
ALL OF THIS WAS DONE IN THE REGULAR EDITOR:

Alrighty then I played around with the doodad.

First of all I opened up me object editor, went to the Cinematic section, located Rising water Wide and copied and pasted it. For the sake of argument I'm calling it LAVA.

First I set its scale.

I made the maximum 5.00 and the minimum scale 0.01 I can cover a lot of area and it is will be so thin that when it floats and locks into its standing animation in the game it will be close to the surface of the water.

Then I set it to float (Art-Floats - True) Unlike the terrain water is flat - since this is going to be in/on water having it float will mean that each one will be at the same height.

for giggles I set its Art Visibility Radius to 500 - its lava, it should glow and be seen at a distance.

I assigned it the pathing of Thrall's Hut. This will allow me to place each LAVA doodad neatly along the grid. Once I have all of the lava placed I will go back and reset its pathing to mushrooms which is basically no pathing.

I set 'tile set' to all - this way it can be found in the cinematic section in all of the tile sets.

I took some water area and plopped in one LAVA tile. I edited it to where it was scales 250 x 250 (Y & X) and .01 Z (very thin) I then copied that and pasted it to fill in the water area. (In the map I only placed about have of the water as demonstration (see image).

I removed the pathing after placed so it can be walked through like water.

I opened up the trigger editor, scrolled down to The Animation section of the trigger Action Commands. I placed that in map initialization.

It reads:
  • Animation - Play the stand animation for all doodads of type LAVA within (Playable map area)
LAVA is selectable, stand is not - you have to type it in. The trigger will read death, click on death and type in the word stand.

Then I tested the map. I discovered that the LAVA was too low. I closed the game and went back and selected one LAVA. Then I hit Ctrl+Shift+~ all at once to select all of my lava - using page up I raised it 3 clicks. Went back and tested the map again and the lava was at the right level for me.

See the image below for a view.

I attached a small map with the modified doodad and the doodad Stand animation trigger for you.

Mind the camera will start off at the start location and zoom out and up to show you more of the map.

To exit out of that hit the esc key.

I also plopped in a bit of lava on land without any water.

You will note that in Scenario: Options I turned off waves on shores and cliffs - unfortunately the water waves does not look right with lava.

Attachments

• lookatme2.jpg
    lookatme2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 159
  • LAVA.w3x
    25.4 KB · Views: 105
Status
Not open for further replies.