• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Custom Tile sets Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
I'm converting some tile sets from variuos games to use in a project but im having an annoying problem, there's no smooth edges when i use the new tile sets, they are always sharp at the edges when crossing 2 custom ones. See the picture->
UQPBHJs.png

As you can see, when the snow goes through both custom tiles it has smooth edges, but when one custom goes through another custom its a square, ugly and sharp. Any way to correct it?

Btw, im using blp lap to convert the images.

Last edited:
Level 20
Looks like it is lacking alpha? Alpha blending is used for the smooth edges. If the BLP file has no alpha, or the terrain texture was not painted with alpha then you will get sharp edges.

Hmm, I'm beginning to understand, so, that's what im doing ->
dhovApp.png

Looks like the original image has no alpha (right?) "Alpha channel: 0 bits", and when i'm going to convert it to BLP i got these options on the left windows. So there's anyway to add alpha to images? Which option should i select in the "alpha channel options" to make it work?

Thx!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The source image has no alpha. It will not blend. That is not a tile texture...

Tile textures are divided into 4*4 or 8*4 different tile components. Each has a specific use case and meaning. This is not SC2.

4*4 is basic tile type with 2 core variations and all blend boarders. 8*4 is extended tile type with 18 core variations and all blend boarders. 8*4 extended is used when texture dimensions are wider than tall, for example 512*512 is basic where as 512*511 is extended. I would recommend 512*508 as each tile part is then a round number of texels (64*127). Currently that is the closest you can get to HD terrain due to hard coded limits on maximum usable mipmap size (512*512).

Attached is the summer grass extended texture to give you an idea of the layout. Notice the alpha on the blend tiles.

Attachments

• Lords_Grass.png
    Lords_Grass.png
    329 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.