• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Custom Summoning Spell - Summoned Units Don't Last Forever [Solved]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello, I have a problem regarding a custom spell I made for a hero (Gnoll Chieftain) called "Gnoll Patrol". The spell in question summons different Gnoll-Type units that last forever to fight alongside the Gnoll Chieftain. In order to make the spell summon different units, I made the main Ability that the hero learns summon Melee Gnolls units, then I made a sub-spell that a dummy uses to summon the other Ranged Gnoll units at the same time (At level three another sub-ability is used to summon another type of unit). The problem however is that the units that the dummy summons don't last forever, while the ones that Gnoll Chieftain summons do. Is there a certain trigger I have to use that makes the units stay forever or is there a certain data field I forgot to change?

Here is the trigger:

• Gnoll Patrol Spell
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Gnoll Patrol [Melee]
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Gnoll Patrol [Melee] for (Casting unit)) Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing (Facing of (Casting unit)) degrees
          • Unit - Add Gnoll Patrol [Ranged] to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Far Seer - Feral Spirit
          • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        • Else - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Gnoll Patrol [Melee] for (Casting unit)) Equal to 2
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing (Facing of (Casting unit)) degrees
              • Unit - Set level of Gnoll Patrol [Ranged] for (Last created unit) to 2
            • Else - Actions
              • Unit - Add Gnoll Patrol [Special] to (Last created unit)
              • Unit - Set level of Gnoll Patrol [Ranged] for (Last created unit) to 3

Level 14
Now, you gotta get to the "Gnoll Patrol [Ranged]" ability there and jump into the data editor...
You could set "Stats - Duration - Hero" or "Stats - Duration - Normal" to value of 0, if you want an infinite time of having those summoned gnoll guys stickin' around. :)

Level 1
Now, you gotta get to the "Gnoll Patrol [Ranged]" ability there and jump into the data editor...
You could set "Stats - Duration - Hero" or "Stats - Duration - Normal" to value of 0, if you want an infinite time of having those summoned gnoll guys stickin' around. :)
I tried doing just that you have suggested, I set both "Stats - Duration - Hero" and "Stats - Duration - Normal" to 0 for all levels of the spell. But they still don't last forever, they always disappear after around 30 seconds (Took the time on my phones stopwatch). I guess worst case scenario, I can just make the spell summon one type of Gnoll unit if I want them to stay forever.

Level 14
I tried doing just that you have suggested, I set both "Stats - Duration - Hero" and "Stats - Duration - Normal" to 0 for all levels of the spell. But they still don't last forever, they always disappear after around 30 seconds (Took the time on my phones stopwatch). I guess worst case scenario, I can just make the spell summon one type of Gnoll unit if I want them to stay forever.
Well, that's strange that the zero duratuon method didn't work. There are two alternative ways of summoning infinitely non-expiring gnoll guys:
SOLUTION 1: You may wanna use the "Dark Portal" ability of Archimonde as a base spell and play/tweak its data a bit. I had used that summoning 10 felguards and these guys don't get expired.

SOLUTION 2: You can use Channel ability as base dummy spell, that uses trigger that create a unit upon cast. I think create unit has to get involved with this. Wish I could provide trigger right now but I'm using phone right now buddy.

Level 1
Well, that's strange that the zero duratuon method didn't work. There are two alternative ways of summoning infinitely non-expiring gnoll guys:
SOLUTION 1: You may wanna use the "Dark Portal" ability of Archimonde as a base spell and play/tweak its data a bit. I had used that summoning 10 felguards and these guys don't get expired.

SOLUTION 2: You can use Channel ability as base dummy spell, that uses trigger that create a unit upon cast. I think create unit has to get involved with this. Wish I could provide trigger right now but I'm using phone right now buddy.
It really is a shame. I don't know why the Duration Data doesn't work either. Guess I'll fix this on my own or at least try.

Level 1
I'd prefer you use the Dark Portal ability as base with some tweaked data values there, it works like a charm rather than the crappy raise dead or summon water elemental ability. ;)
I just replaced the Dummy unit that is created with the same Hero (Gnoll Chieftain), and this time the units didn't expire. So it looks like it's something wrong with the dummy unit.

Level 1
Never mind, I'm an idiot. The dummy was checked as a building in "Stats - Is a Building", I unchecked it and now the summoned units don't expire anymore, so I might as well changed the name of this topic to [Solved].

Status
Not open for further replies.