• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cult of the Damned - A WarCraft 3 Cinematic by Zurg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
StarCraft: Remastered has piqued my interest in older games, with WarCraft 3 being a natural go to. One thing I always enjoyed when I was younger were all of the custom things people made for the game, especially the cinematics.

I decided to take on a personal project of recording old user created WarCraft 3 cinematics and uploading them to YouTube. I am doing this both for archival purposes and so that they can be enjoyed outside of the WarCraft 3 engine.

My first pick for this project is Cult of the Damned by Zurg. Since there is voice acting for the dialogue I was able to convert it to a 16:9 format for a great cinematic experience. The quality of the production improves tremendously between the five acts, with act five even featuring moving mouths on the character models.

Enjoy!

***I do not claim credit for the creation of this cinematic***

Act One - Tolling Bells

Act Two

Act Three

Act Four - Hopes Charred

Act Five - In Passing

Here is a write up by Zurg from the original wc3c.net hosting page (which is down as of today, December 14, 2017 EDIT: Back up as of December 17, 2017):

"Overview

Cult of the Damned is the first drama in Warcraft III cinematics. It tells the story of an outcast of society and the troubles he faces as he reconsiders his future. Stephen lives in the fictional city of Atraymath in Lordaeron. CotD is five parts or acts long, just like one of Shakespeare's tragedic dramas. It took a year and a half to create and release all five parts.

The first ideas for the story began back early spring of 2003. I was playing one of those "movie-maker" maps on Battle.net. I thought, wouldn't it be cool to make a horror type movie about a family trying to escape from the cult of the undead, and the sheer fear and danger they would face. For several weeks this idea ruminated in my head as I worked to complete my cinematic Encaliel for a contest at Wc3Campaigns. Encaliel was not very well-received; it received second place out of three entries. However, summer was approaching and I was ready to take on a bigger and better project. The real inspiration for Cult of the Damned came from Romeo and Juliet in my 9th grade English class. I decided to apply the plot structures of Shakespeare and turn my idea into a tragic drama.

I began the actual work for Cult of the Damned several weeks before summer started. I wanted to write a story and then make the cinematic. I wrote up through the third scene of Act One before I abandoned it and jumped right into creating the terrain. My plan was to complete all five acts over the summer and release them together. I quickly made progress on Act One, using the knowledge of the World Editor that I had acquired with Encaliel. At some point, I realized that this project was not just going to be a quick little step to better my cinematic making skills. Terraining and testing began to involve more and more time, as I sought higher results. I began Act Two right after the completion of Act One. I had attained hosting at the bustling modding communities of Warcraft III Campaigns and Warcraft III ModForge. Warcraft III modding and cinematics were in their golden age and I was part of it.

As I made more progress on Act Two and gained a fair amount of publicity and popularity, I turned my sights against DaemonKillar, creator of Creatures of the Night. Since parts one and two of his series revealed the possibilities of cinematic making with Warcraft III, it had been my goal to compete with him and create cinematics equal or better to his. However, as I neared the completion of Act Two, my inspiration and drive in the project felt like they were grinding to a halt. I nearly gave up on the project there, but I managed to complete Act Two. Diverting from my original plans, I released Acts One and Two together. I received a lot of positive and ecstatic feedback from the community, and quickly started on Act Three.

Then things began to fall apart. I lost hosting at Warcraft III Campaigns after a battle over my dual-site hosting. Some people were beginning to leave the community and I really did not have a concrete plan for the rest of the story for CotD. The first several scenes of Act Three were very hard for me to complete. It was nearly winter, over half a year since I began the project. I was half-way through Act Three, the cathedral scene, and I was ready to quit. Cinematic making was turning into a long, difficult and tedious task, it had almost lost its fun factor since Act Two. For some reason, I finally realized something: this is what I wanted to do in life, express myself through movie-making. So I threw "cinematic-making" aside and set my self free to make a movie. I never really lost inspiration again throughout the rest of the project. I had low points and high points, but the end of Act Three and Acts Four and Five were completely different and better from their predecessors. I released the last three acts separately. Each was greatly lauded by the dwindling community.

On November 22, 2004, I released Act Five and brought the map-making portion of the Cult of the Damned project to an end. I have only mentioned a small portion of everything that went into the project. A lot of credit must go to the dedicated fans and beta testers of CotD and all my fellow map-makers that helped me along the way. Cult of the Damned has shaped my goals for my career and has been an experience that will be with me and influence me for the rest of my life."

Last edited:
Level 2
Hihi, i after looking at your post, i rechecked my old post about this cinematic, and realized that the link they gave me only 1 year ago no longer works.
Cult of the Damned cinematic

I am really glad you uploaded it, it shows just how short of a time a map can be potentially lost to the community.
I'm glad as well. When I went to upload this the other day, I was surprised to find that wc3c.net was down. It may come back, as it has before, but it's also possible that it may be gone for good with WarCraft 3 being 15 years old.

When I began this project, I didn't realize that I was working against the clock. A lot of great cinematics were hosted at that site.

I'm going to work on uploading some more in the coming weeks, I'm glad that the community appreciates it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I don't know where to put this but here goes:

Act I

-there is some camera clipping
-weird to have camera suddenly change panning to the opposite direction
-the wizard's horse looks like its running so fast while it kind of barely moves
-the horse hoof sounds should be heard as from a somewhat distance from where the camera is
-you should not use reverberation on a voice coming from outside where the crowd is
-there should be subtitles; the accent doesn't sound native plus some words are heard in a lower volume
-do not scream in the mic

Act II
-villagers getting through one another
-no guards at the gates?
-the voice should always be louder than ambient sounds and music.
-I wonder how the shots from afar were done. The editor doesn't let me see from that far, everything becoming black

Act III

-the doors opening should be less fragrant. They almost scare you when letting yourself be taken by the soothing atmosphere
-this father thing, I don't remember anyone being called like that even if the first two Warcraft games had the Church and Cross
-from what the priest says, it isn't clear that the Church is to blame for ruining the protagonist's life. Besides, we don't get to know the real reasons and neither how he succeeds in "coming back"

Act IV
-Ner'zhul lied to Kel'Thuzad that he'll be king?
-I'm sure if Kel' would have made the cult from people like Stephen or Steven (?) then it would have taken him quite the years if not decades

All in all, the visuals are an absolute splendor.
4.5/5.

Level 2
I don't know where to put this but here goes:

Act I

-there is some camera clipping
-weird to have camera suddenly change panning to the opposite direction
-the wizard's horse looks like its running so fast while it kind of barely moves
-the horse hoof sounds should be heard as from a somewhat distance from where the camera is
-you should not use reverberation on a voice coming from outside where the crowd is
-there should be subtitles; the accent doesn't sound native plus some words are heard in a lower volume
-do not scream in the mic

Act II
-villagers getting through one another
-no guards at the gates?
-the voice should always be louder than ambient sounds and music.
-I wonder how the shots from afar were done. The editor doesn't let me see from that far, everything becoming black

Act III

-the doors opening should be less fragrant. They almost scare you when letting yourself be taken by the soothing atmosphere
-this father thing, I don't remember anyone being called like that even if the first two Warcraft games had the Church and Cross
-from what the priest says, it isn't clear that the Church is to blame for ruining the protagonist's life. Besides, we don't get to know the real reasons and neither how he succeeds in "coming back"

Act IV
-Ner'zhul lied to Kel'Thuzad that he'll be king?
-I'm sure if Kel' would have made the cult from people like Stephen or Steven (?) then it would have taken him quite the years if not decades

All in all, the visuals are an absolute splendor.
4.5/5.
Good feedback! I am not the creator so do not intend to make modifications to the original work, but I can definitely look into adding subtitles. I agree that the voice acting is hard to catch at some moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.