• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Critique my terraining please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey people of the hive, my project Planet of The Orcs is in its hosting phase, but it is still far from done, i just added some dranei to it that will be rescuable, but i dont know if i made the terrain dranei like.... im going of the idea that the dranie dont have a home cuz they crash landed in a spaceship. Anyways tell me what i need to add/remove, make better and what not. Thank you all for yourtime.

BTW feel free to host it.

Edit: its not protected. Feel free to learn

Attachments

• Planet Of The Orcs 1.3.5.w3x
    3.4 MB · Views: 74
  • forestisharea.jpg
    forestisharea.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 221
  • draneicamp.jpg
    draneicamp.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 191
  • forestp2.jpg
    forestp2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 162
  • draneigate.jpg
    draneigate.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 202
The place shown in the second pic is really stuff'd up. The doodads don't follow a specific color harmony, which results a highly clumsy doodad-placement. The purple color that fits the Drenai has no relation to the natural environment the Sunken Ruins' doodads provide. Try Black Citadel stuff or Underground with Map Options -> Custom Light Environment -> Dungeon.

You generally try to invite magical objects into a natural environment, that is why I get this ugly-result feeling. Those trees should be changed to the Outlands' Mushrooms or grab some trees from the Ultimate terraining Map with a bit of purple tinting. Good examples are the Night Elven trees, which are by default purple tinted.

Also, change the walls into something else, from the Ultimate Terraining Map, try a grey tone wall, because it adds less color variation.

Level 23
I have come!

Well first of all sunken ruins are the best variant for draenei, I use them all the time, but while using them avoid the doodads with green stone and sea themes, use only the yellow stone ones.

Also, I'd highly recommend you to use Ruins doodad. It looks like a draenei home, plus it has a portrait and you can add a crystal on top of it.

Also, try to separate the normal draenei and the broken. Broken live in ruins of draenei villages and huts which were in TFT, while draenei live in yellow stone buildings.

I see that you use eredar models for draenei ,this is good, but whatever you do, do not use red eredar model for draenei, sue only blue and purple ones.

You used some Dalaran doodads, that is good, but avoid using crystal lamp. You also used the top of the Violet Citadel. I'd recomennd you to use the top of Observatory, but this is also I good, I do it as well. But do not tint it, leave it as it is.

If you want the crystals in the forets to look good, make them smaller and make a doodad with pathing and put 3-4 of them on the normal one. They should all be exact copies of each other. That way you'll have a realistic-looking crystal.

These are the first recommendations. I may take your map later and do what I can to imrove it.

Level 8
Thank you times 10, i knew i wasnt that far off from the the dranie feeling. LoL Pharaoh made me seem like i was hella wrong. Ala thank you for your time and post.

To Ala and Hive members:Should i replace the ASH trees with shrooms for the Zangra Marsh Feel?

I'm sorry, Blackrockorc, if you felt that way, but you need to listen every aspect. For the terrains I've seen, that terrain is not the best way to do it. Plus, if one person that mods Warcraft III, recreates a Draenei land in a specific way, it doesn't mean that you will follow the same architectural pattern yourself. Combining pieces of Sunken Ruins to desperately make a Draenei scenery isn't using imagination, in my opinion. Now it's up to you to decide, but I left my critisism, as you requested. Good luck anyway :)

Here: http://www.cjritter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Draenei_female.jpg
Tones of purple everywhere, not even a bit of Sunken Ruins-type/-relevant element.

Level 8
Its all good Pharoah, lol id rather listen to you than most peeps anyway, Honestly when i need help with the triggers for POTO(mymap) your the one who i go to. Weather it be critisism for terrain or triggers im your helpful in both areas.

Level 23
Dude, thats because its Exodar. Part of Tempest Keep. Giant dimensional ship that fell on Azeroth? Stupid lore? It fel on Azeroth, but he is making Draenor, full of draenei cities an no dumb idiotic Exodars around.

Here's real draenei architecture!
Shattrath_City.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.