• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Critical Hits and Slow Poison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I was testing out a unit which is supposed to have a 100% crit chance against enemy heroes only and is also supposed to have slow poison when I realized that the slow poison wasn't always being applied. Specifically, any attack which was a crit did NOT apply slow poison. For example, I would always poison my own heroes (since the poison applied to allied units but the crit did not) but could never poison the enemy hero.

Since criticals aren't orb effects or buff placers, I had no idea this would be a problem and I'm now unsure what to do about it.

Level 11
You can solve it with a dummy unit with the poison ability, once the hero attacks someone you create the dummy and attack-once the attacked unit, but you'll need a DDS and that makes it too complicated for a poison ability.. Hope you find a simplier solution, try testing the poison ability without the critical to see if it actually works..

Level 8
did you check the slow poison ability's targets?

Yes, as I pointed out it clearly worked - just not when it criticaled.

You can solve it with a dummy unit with the poison ability, once the hero attacks someone you create the dummy and attack-once the attacked unit, but you'll need a DDS and that makes it too complicated for a poison ability.. Hope you find a simplier solution, try testing the poison ability without the critical to see if it actually works..

Yeah, I’ve triggered poison like that before but it’s way more complicated than it should have to be in this case.

If the unit is ranged then crit and bash become buff placers.

Huh. That’s weird since crit doesn’t actually place any kind of buff. That makes me think I see a (partial) solution thogh.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you need a 100% crit chance?
Or for that matter; any amount of crit that would cause this to be an issue.

First of all, any time an ability doesn’t work as advertised to the player is an issue. Secondly, it’s 100% crit only against heroes. That is a great way to notify the player that huge damage is being inflicted in a highly visible way so that they know to do something about that attacker or that target.

Try using "Envenomed Weapons", it worked for me.

Nope, doesn’t work for ranged units (does for melee).

What Death Adder said gave me an idea: Demolish. That ability isn’t critical strike but easily makes it possible to do multiplied damage to only heroes. So I tried that out. But it didn’t work. In this case, actually, the poison overrides the damage increase rather than the other way around.

Edit: I went with the DDSed dummy unit poison and got it working. One minor issue is that damage seems to be detected twice on a crit, but that problem is solved by just halving the damage per stack of the poison.

Last edited:
Level 12
Edit: I went with the DDSed dummy unit poison and got it working. One minor issue is that damage seems to be detected twice on a crit, but that problem is solved by just halving the damage per stack of the poison.

Honestly if you're going to use a DDS, why do something as bothersome as using dummies? Make the crit through DDS (assuming you're using looking for help's dds then you can detect if damage is dealt through physical/spell/trigger) and just make a floating text showing the damage above the target.

Besides the floating text all you'd have to do is to multiply the damage.

Level 8
Honestly if you're going to use a DDS, why do something as bothersome as using dummies? Make the crit through DDS (assuming you're using looking for help's dds then you can detect if damage is dealt through physical/spell/trigger) and just make a floating text showing the damage above the target.

Besides the floating text all you'd have to do is to multiply the damage.

Something like that was my initial thought but the poison damage sets off the damage detection trigger. I'm not familiar with looking for help's dds in particular, maybe that issue can be avoided there.

Anyway, just using the dummy is simpler than learning about and implementing any kind of new DDS.

Level 12
Something like that was my initial thought but the poison damage sets off the damage detection trigger. I'm not familiar with looking for help's dds in particular, maybe that issue can be avoided there.

Anyway, just using the dummy is simpler than learning about and implementing any kind of new DDS.

It has three conditions to differentiate between attack, spell and trigger as the source of damage.

Although I figured that it's redundant to change it when you've already got it working I thought I should still mention that it exists.

Level 30
Just adding up with some interesting things I've found out about Crits and WW in years of mapping:

-Critical Strike overrides any orb or buff placer as it's #1 priority. Therefore, if you proc all of them at once, let's say, a 25% bash, a 15% critical and a 15% chance to cast chain lightning on the attack, critical strike will deny them ALL and just fire off a critical.
-Performing a Critical Strike will also disable attack modifiers such as Barrage or Moon Glaives.
-...but does not seem to disable Searing Arrows. You can crit an attack with them (Searing Arrows will not crit as well, just the raw attack damage will)
-Attacking from the Wind Walk with a bonus to damage (considered a "fixed critical damage bonus") will never apply any orb of buff placers on that hit.
-...it will, however, proc Searing Arrows from all attack modifiers. Frost Arrows, Black Arrows, Slow Poison and such won't be activated (mana will be spent, missile will be changed but it won't leave buff or do the bonus damage), but Searing Arrows will add up damage.
-...additionally, you can bash, barrage or moon glaive from a Wind Walk if you disable the damage bonus.

A fine alternative to Critical is "Demolish" skill, and it's easier to trigger the text tag for damage then to trigger DDS with poisoning dummies.

Status
Not open for further replies.