• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating spells with...moving special effects via triggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Anyone around here know if it's possible to say, use a trigger to make a rocket model "special effect" MOVE?

Here's my spell:
The unit (regular unit spell, not hero spell) has a spell based off of the generic "channel" spell. The spell is an instant cast, and when used will send rockets to strike in areas around 3 different enemy towers.

-Unit casts "Scatter Bomb Land"
-5 Rockets strike in an area of 500 around tower A
-5 Rockets strike in an area of 500 around tower B
-5 Rockets strike in an area of 500 around tower C
-Units in the areas get damaged appropriately

I can easily damage the needed units required
all i'm really asking here is if there's any way, using a trigger, to create a special effect (using the model "Abilities\Spells\Other\TinkerRocket\TinkerRocketMissile.mdl" from the tinker spell "cluster rockets" and have that "special effect" essentially, MOVE to the required location. Is there a way to do this using special effects, or must i turn the rockets into units? *sigh*

Level 2
actually twistedfortune...the unit speed max speed is too slow for my liking, cuz i DID try that method.
One question, how do you make a dummy unit unselectable? Anyway, basically what i ended up doing was the following:

I had it create 3 dummy units at the position of the caster, each dummy unit had an attack range of 20000 with a damage of zero and projectile art of the "flying machine" (one that looks like a bomb). Then I set timers calculating how long the projectile would take to get to the target (distance between points / speed), when the timers expire another dummy unit is created at each explosion point, these dummy units cast cluster rockets on the position of the target, but have no damage or stun, damage is performed with the triggers.

all in all the trigger took a lot more work than i'd planned, hehe. 1 down, 40 to go >.<

Level 2
no daelin, i beg to differ.

I tried using cluster rockets for a different spell of mine, and it seems to be set on the fact that the rockets must reach the destination in under 3 seconds...cuz you couldn't even see the animation of them moving. As many times the particular target might be all the way across the map, the cluster rockets would move so fast you couldn't see anything at all, and all of a sudden there'd be explosions at the destination. no, i like my way much better. I tried changing the "projectile speed" on the cluster rocket spell, but to no avail, i set it down to 500 even, to see what would happen, but instead they moved at around 8000. so unless you can tell me how to decrease the speed of the cluster rocket spell, i'm liking my way better. (and my way looks freaking awesome, so much more cool than just plain old cluster rockets would've)

Status
Not open for further replies.