• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Development] Creating a modern fantasy RTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello everyone,

I wanted to create this thread to talk about our game that's currently in development. We only started working on this game about 2 weeks ago, after Warcraft 3:Reforged came out. And not to beat around the bush but Reforged really ruined it for a lot of us, so we decided to channel that hate and disappointment into something more positive and productive, something that might be great once completed.

So we're making a Real Time Strategy game that has that feeling of familiarity with Warcraft 3, without being a straight Warcraft 3 clone. Currently our team has a few new and experienced programmers, writers, concept artists, game designer, network architect, level designer and a 3D artist. We are always looking for more people. This is mostly a hobby project, so if you're interested to volunteer some of your time then welcome!

The reason why I'm posting it here is because The Hive Workshop hosts the most talented and passionate modders I've seen in any gaming community. The amount of work and dedication that goes into map making and creating various resources for Warcraft 3 is astounding.

There is no name for the game yet, currently we're hoping to have a playable prototype ready by the end of March.

If ever you want more info or just have questions in general, just ask away here!

Level 11
I suggest checking out 0 A.D. It is an open source RTS game. Although unlikely to share the design goals, it still shows you the scale of such an undertaking. Specifically it has been in development for nearly 20 years now and is still nowhere near finished.

That game does sound familiar, I will check it out :) Thanks for the tip! We definitely no it's no easy task to just make an RTS but we're determined and seeing everyone's progress on the project is always motivational!

Level 9
i think not interesting Warcraft 3 melee, except campaigns (because of the story).
But you yourself admitted that it is not easy. If there was something financial about this project, I think it would accelerate, although contributors would be upset about working for free, and thus paralyzing the project.
Team does as you wish, but be patient and do not be discouraged. If you can make an Editor easy to use and better than Warcraft 3, I'm already interested.
@Ollhax has been working for years at a World Editor, recently got the Editor to do something relevant. That even surprised me because I believe he is working alone.

Share experiences with people who are already working on a project or who have already worked. That this can add a lot.
It is not good for several projects starting, they do nothing to contribute to progress (although I incentive the initiative).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] So we're making a Real Time Strategy game that has that feeling of familiarity with Warcraft 3, without being a straight Warcraft 3 clone. [...] We only started working on this game about 2 weeks ago [...] currently we're hoping to have a playable prototype ready by the end of March. [...]
:huh:

Good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.