• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Create thin 'Settlers 2' pathway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Hey guys,

I am currently working on a small project, where I want to use the settler 2 ressource carrying system, i.e. villagers taking goods from one waypoint to another, while walking over those thin settler 2 pathways.
Screenshot-13-Die-Siedler-2-Gold-Edition-768x576-81cdf1661e7ad360.jpg

I am currently brainstorming how I can create warcraft 3 terrain that looks like those pathways during the runtime of the game (i.e. triggered), but didn't yet find a good method. I would be fine with only being able to make straight pathes, but could not even accomplish that ;)

My ideas so far:
  • Changing ground tiles by using "Change Terrain Type". But warcraft 3 tiles are quite large and the resulting pathes are not thin enough.
  • Using a flat and thin doodad that looks like a road and doesn't block unit pathing. Could not find one in the world editor and neither in the model section of hiveworkshop (do you know one I could use?).

I am happy about any ideas (or doodads I could use regarding point 2) to solve this :)

Thanks in advance and all best,
Eikonium

Level 9
Maybe, you can change the building terrain texures by using an empty model. You create a new building based on towers or farms, then you change the terrain textures that is placed under the model to some thing like a street and make the building with a blank model(so it's invisible) and pathable in object editor so unit can walk on it by changing the ''agibility'' fields. So you have to build the street piece by peace like in wc1. You can import differents building textures for every street direction( up down, up left, up rght down left down right)
I don't remember the object editor field that change the terrain texure of a building, i think it's in the graphic or statistics section in OE. Maybe it's possible to replace that by importing a custom model with custom path that is the same as the original textures.
I dnt have the WE to check if this works and how it perform in game, i will edit this as soon as i can use WE to post an example

Last edited:
Level 20
Maybe, you can change the building terrain texures by using an empty model. You create a new building based on towers or farms, then you change the terrain textures that is placed under the model to some thing like a street and make the building with a blank model(so it's invisible) and pathable in object editor so unit can walk on it by changing the ''agibility'' fields. So you have to build the street piece by peace like in wc1. You can import differents building textures for every street direction( up down, up left, up rght down left down right)

That actually sounds like more than a lot of work. But I'm very interested in the example you come up with :) Thanks for your effort!
But you need a fitting model for that, right?

Custom ubersplat images may work. Otherwise you will need custom models.
Is there a way to rotate upersplat images ingame? Pathways can point in any direction and importing a different image for every possible direction doesn't feel great (although they are symmetric and I could use a 8-way path system with 4 different images, which is not that bad...).

Regarding custom models: That sounds like the easiest method. Do you have a specific model in mind? :)

Best regards,
Eikonium

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is there a way to rotate upersplat images ingame? Pathways can point in any direction and importing a different image for every possible direction doesn't feel great (although they are symmetric and I could use a 8-way path system with 4 different images, which is not that bad...).
As far as I am aware they cannot be rotated.
Regarding custom models: That sounds like the easiest method. Do you have a specific model in mind?
You will have to find, make or get made one.

Level 9
So i tried to change the ubersplat, sorry but i can't attach an esemple because it's more complicated than i thought, it's not like importing a simple texture, you have to edit a .slv file and to more stuff, in addition the editor keeps crashing every time i open the map with the imported .slv file and it's impossible to work with it. So i just suggest to import some street models and find another way, or you can still try to replace the ubersplats, but it's a lot of work.

Level 20
So i tried to change the ubersplat, sorry but i can't attach an esemple because it's more complicated than i thought, it's not like importing a simple texture, you have to edit a .slv file and to more stuff, in addition the editor keeps crashing every time i open the map with the imported .slv file and it's impossible to work with it. So i just suggest to import some street models and find another way, or you can still try to replace the ubersplats, but it's a lot of work.

No worries man, thank you for your effort!

I made a smiliar map once, and resized a simple doodad-wall as custom model - it became a simple pricket.

Cool! But I'm not sure what pricket means. Leo.org translater gives me something like "candle holder", which doesn't seem to make sense in this context :D

For the case you created a custom model that looks like a street part, would you mind letting me use it? I'd give you credits of course :)

Best regards,
Eikonium

Status
Not open for further replies.