• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Couple balancing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Gargoyle is probably too powerful for intended purposes. The bug spawns were buffed to work around all of the old formulas. Now because of our reduced overall DPS, overall reduced health on non-tank classes, and reduced haste on healing spells, the encounter seems to be needlessly difficult even for a fully geared group.

Reducing Bug damage by 20-30 would probably fix the problems. Perhaps a bit of a HP reduction to them as well, gargoyle himself seems to be fine.

Edit: I was going to suggest changing the ranger class up quest as well, and it probably still could be nerfed a bit. But if you get the Max HP available, and go through the correct path its really not that difficult.

Second edit: Do clouds not move if you have full vision on? If not then thats what made that run easy. Tried again with vision off as it would be in a normal game and the cloud pattern was definitely different. If this is the case then cloud damage likely needs reduced a bit.

Or turn it into a full on "maze-type" mini game thing. In which you need to time your runs to get through patrolling clouds and exploding rocks or anything else you'd like to have the earth throw at us :p.

That being said, most players still just get a Bishop to use Divine Protection on them and run through the clouds with that, so it'd be nice if that bug could be fixed.

Level 8
Don't think this should be in bug reports... these are just suggestions. IMO the garg fight is fine as it is. Possible with 4 heroes, but difficult. Normal challenge with 5 heroes (done without all maxed heroes just fine), and lets not forget its just a world boss so you can go with 6 heroes for a pretty smooth fight. From my experiences, fails at garg can be attributed much more to bad plays than to underpowered heroes. I'm not saying garg is easy in this version, just that it is as moderately challenging as it should be. You're probably just having trouble with it now because most of the good gaias players are inactive till 1.2B. Also, I'm sure it will be pretty simple for 4 players when the new hp values on end items are out.

You make a good point with the shield issue, buffs should be removed on teleport to class quest zone. As far as rebalancing the quest... I don't think thats necessary. Ranger quest needs a complete overhaul. The quest should involve pet use and attacking/using skills in some way, its just way too simplistic as it is now - by far the easiest and least interesting of all the class quests. Any rebalancing to the current quest is just a waste of time, it really won't feel any better.

While we're on the subject of bugs that aren't actually bugs, does anyone else get severe fps lags sometimes? I am guessing this is because of weather changes. Is it possible to just fix the weather in each zone and avoid these lags? I've lost count of raids that failed just because of a huge lag spike.

Level 7
They're not really suggestions. They're things that were overlooked when the changes to the core formulas were made.

The gargoyle was massively buffed from early versions of 1.2 because he was too easy. New HP values are coming from new items from the next new area. Why would anyone go back to kill the gargoyle after they have access to the newest area? Gargoyle gear isn't any better than gear from the other three foothills bosses. I don't see why Gargoyle deserves to be as difficult as he is. Zwieb often says these bosses are meant to be balanced around level 42-45 characters in green gears.. and I really don't think thats the case with Gargoyle at the moment.

And.. Have you even tried the ranger quest in the newest version? Its much more difficult than any of the other quests.

Level 3
I'm here just to say that ranger quest its the EASIEST quest of the five out there, and that gargoyle can't be done with a team of lvl 45 with green gear imo.

Level 8
Well, it is true that gargoyle is a step above the other foothills bosses. I just assumed that it was meant to be that way. If it was, in fact, meant to be the same difficulty as BM and GS then yes the bugs desperately need a nerf - but only when theres new content. Currently garg is the most challenging (and therefore fun) fight to be had, it would take so much away from the game to have it nerfed before bigger challenges are implemented.

About the ranger quest, yes I have done it this version. Having the HP talent, feline reflexes and a potion is pretty much all you need to burst straight to the finish line (with non-dungeon gear). No thinking or strategy involved, run straight to the end point avoiding whatever clouds you can and run through the rest, pot when you're critical and you're through. Might take a few tries if you're unlucky with cloud movements but this is a pretty reliable method. I've attached a replay of me doing it at lvl22 with only +35HP from gear.

Gargoyle with all green gear? That doesn't even make sense. I don't see why the highest boss in the area has to be balanced around inferior mob items. 5 Heroes at lvl45 with 3/5 boss gear is enough for garg. However, like I said before, if the players are bad then you're going to lose at garg even at lvl50 full geared.

Attachments

• Gaias Ranger class quest.w3g
    52.5 KB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.