• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Computer upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hey guys, my goal is to play Crysis on a High setting with almost no lag, any advice on what should I upgrade for most effect.

Crysis requirement's:

Crysis REQUIREMENTS!

My PC:

AMD Athlon 64, 2600 MHz (13x200)4000+
2048MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (512 MB)

My guess is the card has to go?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Get a 64 bit windows vista PC with 6 GB DDR3 RAM, intel I7 processor and a 280 or 285 nvidia graphic card. If that does not run it at near max then the game sucks.

As for upgrading your current PC, I would advise throwing in an extra 1-2 GB as vista is eating up like 25+% of your RAM. Also get a 9800 graphic card, as that is like twice as good as the 8800 which beats your card multiple times over. Processor wise I have no clue as I only know intel CPUs.

Level 34
Where are you from?

You're probably going to need a new rig. You might be able to play it on low-med with a new card, but I doubt that processor is going to run it well. I run it on high with no AA, and I've got a pretty solid computer.

Duel core processor E8400 running at 3.0 ghz - you have a single core running at 2.6 ghz
4 GB of 800mhz RAM
Radeon 4870 512MB video card - Conclusion - Review Tom's Hardware : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: March '09

That link will let you know where your card stands.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
you have a single core running at 2.6 ghz

Clock speed is not an accurate measure of processing power. Modern processors with lower clock tend to outpreform old ones with higher clock with single thread preformance. This is partly due to cache, and better instruction sets available.

However, crysis is a new game. A single core is just not enough. If you want to play it half decently you will need atleast 2 to 4 cores as I am sure crysis has some multi thread capabilities (if not then the other core being free to handle other stuff will also help).

I still reccomend a good inel quad core processor, they are prety reasonable nowdays and are the most futureproof for their costs. Almost every modern game has decent thread capabilities so the excess power will not go to waste.

You may be better off getting a new PC to play crysis, as almost everything is not fast enough for high.

Cost wise the best would probably be an intel quad core (possiably OCed for better preformance), 9800 (8800 probably does not run it high enough) or equivelent ATI card and 4 GB odd DDR2 RAM (Vista will hog almost 20-25% of this so the extra memory helps). I would also advise 64 bit vista (or 64 bit windows 7 but I doubt that will be out at the time), as I believe crysis makes use of DX10 and it seems almost everything nowdays is going 64 bit so it may provide improved preformance for future games.

Level 34
Cost wise AMD is probably a better bet.

If you're in the US, this would be something to look at.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

I would personally go with the 4890 if you can afford it.
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100269SR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The 260 core 216 is a great card too though.
Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

For something a little cheaper.
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100258-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Going bellow these cards won't allow you to run the game on higher settings.

Clock speed is not an accurate measure of processing power. Modern processors with lower clock tend to outpreform old ones with higher clock with single thread preformance. This is partly due to cache, and better instruction sets available.
I know, but other than knowing your processors, it's the best way to figure out which processor is better; besides how many cores obviously.

Last edited:
Level 15
Hey guys, my goal is to play Crysis on a High setting with almost no lag, any advice on what should I upgrade for most effect.

Crysis requirement's:

Crysis REQUIREMENTS!

My PC:

AMD Athlon 64, 2600 MHz (13x200)4000+
2048MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (512 MB)

My guess is the card has to go?
If your current video card is PCI-Express, simply buy a nice new card (such as one of the ones Gilles suggested), assuming your power supply can handle it.

You can always upgrade the rest of the parts later. Plus, the video card itself will make a huge difference in gaming performance with your current machine.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I still advise new RAM or more RAM as well, as 2 GB aint that much with vista (which is needed if you want to use DX10).
However, on XP it may be enough, but some graphic options may be disabled due to them requiring DX10 but as I never played the game I am purly going by what I read.

Even with a new video card, do not be suprized if the game lags if something physically intensive occurs due to your processor.

Level 34
assuming your power supply can handle it.
Oh yeah, that too. :p

------------------

DSG, Crysis does use DX10, so XP will not be able to set it to Very High, only High. Not that it doesn't look absolutely amazing at high. :p

Level 34
They are. nVidia just has the most powerful card on the market, and they have far more advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.