• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Computer players on basic "money map"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi all, I'm having a tough time with something that seems simple. In a "money map" style map, where a player starts with several gold mines (say, 4), it seems that the AI just freezes up, specifically with Undead & NE. Human and Orc seem OK-ish, except they never take advantage of the extra mines. An example of this from the "old days" may be the "3v3 No Limits" maps. I'm working on something similar but less chaotic, and I simply want the computer players to take advantage of all 4 mines and build up their tech-tree and army in a standard fashion. So why is this so difficult? Or is it not, and I'm just a moron? =P

I've read a couple tidbits that seem to say that AI has trouble with multiple mines "close together", so one thing I've tried to do is space them out throughout their base area (by at least 3 big-yellow grid squares), but this doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Any tips or pointers? Thanks!

Level 13
In terms of an AI script, you can make your own and force them to expand early.
When making a script, you typically designate each mine as mine 1, mine 2, mine 3, etc.
For the best tutorial I know regarding AI use, check this out: Competitive AI Step by Step with AI Editor - Wc3C.net

Unfortunately, they'll only use mines if they can make 1 town hall type structure per mine, so take that into consideration. You will need enough space for multiple town hall structures when making the map, and computer AI requires A LOT of space.

Level 3
Thanks for the reply and the pointers! I might decide either to just give the comps all 1 base with a huge mine, or I may try to blow up the map size and get them 2-3 bases with enough space as you said. The AI tutorial looks easy to follow, so I'll check it out and play with it. Cheers mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.