• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

come and chat along with me and who ever elseis here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
so i have the actual CD of Diablo 1 and wondering if anyone remembers windows 95 cause the CD ROM won't read the diablo 1 CD anymore. and i have the game installed but needs the CD to play it. think that blizzard north had a safety feature in the installing part that forced you to keep the CD inorder for you play it. unlike diablo 2 now a days don't need the CD anymore. that be nice for the beginning of it all. but it's dead in the water type of deal. i see the resadent evil 2 get remasterd alot oh and there was a playstation version of diablo as well saw it years ago back in 2000's. i didn't understand it and couldn't wrap my head around the idea of it being played on a tv. on a playstation at that, rather than a pc

pyf

pyf

Level 32
so i have the actual CD of Diablo 1 and wondering if anyone remembers windows 95 cause the CD ROM won't read the diablo 1 CD anymore. and i have the game installed but needs the CD to play it. think that blizzard north had a safety feature in the installing part that forced you to keep the CD inorder for you play it. [...]
So you are trying to troubleshoot a problem happening with the game already installed, on Windows 95?

Is your CD/DVD-ROM drive working?
Is your Diablo CD-ROM damaged or dusty?
Did your CD/DVD-ROM drive letter change for whatever reason?

Diablo is meant to be played with the CD-ROM in the drive, because iirc the setup copies only a handful of files on your HDD. Of course, it is also possible to create an ISO of your original CD, then mount this ISO in a virtual CD/DVD-ROM drive, and then install the game from said virtual CD/DVD-ROM drive.
[...] unlike diablo 2 now a days don't need the CD anymore. [...]
Diablo II does not require the original CD in the CD/DVD-ROM drive anymore in order to play, since v1.12 (first released on June 17, 2008). I am guessing this was because this version of Diablo II was also available as a digital download from Blizzard, for their customers who could not reinstall the game from their physical media anymore (either because it was lost, or because it was damaged).

Official digital download versions have not been made available for Diablo, nor for WC / WCII[:BNE]. This is the reason why the CD/DVD-ROM drive requirement was never officially removed for these classic games.

Last edited:
Level 11
The first time I ever played Diablo 1 was in 1997 (I was 11), I found it already installed ("and cracked by Hybrid") in the new PC my dad had bought. I wasn't so well versed in English back then so I didn't understand what cracked meant xD.

Last year I tried playing Diablo 1(HD) and 2 as well, and they indeed require you to use the CD-ROM in order to run both games.
Just acquire the ISO of Diablo :p

Status
Not open for further replies.