1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[General] Combat system

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Paulus, May 29, 2015.

1. Paulus

Paulus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi hivers,

I like the combat system from the darksouls series and i'm trying to make it in my map.
    For the ones who dont know the system:
    Units don't have attack, but an attack button. When pressed, the unit does a standart attack in front of him. Units/objects in front of it get damage.
    (You can also lock onto a unit, but thats easy to make)

Anyways, my thought proces on this is as followed:
    Event1 unit uses an ability
    Set unit/index/loop/counter ect.
    Trigger on loop

Event 2: every 0,3 sec
    For each 1 to index
    Set counter
    If counter = 1
    Play anim
    If counter = 6
    Set location
    Set unitgroup/destructible group
    Dmg units/destructibles
    If counter 8
    Index -1, ect
    If index = 0
    Turn off trigger.

Its MUI

What do you guys think. Do you do this different or do you see common mistakes?

Please let me know!!

2. Pinzu

Pinzu

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would use hold position for attack as it is instant. Hopefully you can change icon and text for that button. And I would use stop as hold position. :p

No idea what your periodic trigger is doing, but I would just damage an area in front of the hero when hold position is pressed. If you wanna create blood effects and such I would use a damage system combined with the above.

If you want some sort of delay between each attack, you just turn off or set a boolean to false until a timer expires at which point you set it to true again.

You could also add each attack command to a queue, so if you press 3 times you have 3 attacks waiting to happen. You should add a upper limit though so you don't get stuck in attack-mode. :D Maybe that is what your counter is doing?

3. ShaDowPoWeR

ShaDowPoWeR

Resources:
    Resources:
    for a simple attack skill, you can use water elemental ability, you change the summoned unit to a invisible dummy and add a custom phoenix fire ability with low range.

4. RobertMKD

RobertMKD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    every time a player uses the attack button, play the attack animation, wait for the anim damage point and damage units infront of the unit with offset. However, you also need to check for passives just like critical, bash, evasion etc. and is the affected unit a friend or foe.

5. Wietlol

Wietlol

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Remove attacks from your units.
    Create an ability (based of channel because of the base order id)
    Set animation to attack.
    When a unit starts the effect of that ability, deal damage in a 70-90 range of point in front of you. (100 distance towards facing angle of casting unit)
    Should work fine.