• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Claiming a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Is it possible to claim a map as my own without having to protect it? (i dont understand how to protect it) i need to know cuz im working on a project and i have done some testes on b.net and i probaly cant trust the guys who downloaded it.

Is it possible to claim a map as my own without having to protect it? (i dont understand how to protect it) i need to know cuz im working on a project and i have done some testes on b.net and i probaly cant trust the guys who downloaded it.

OMG! superfail

Well, as I understand your post, yes you can.
Be sure IT IS YOUR MAP and not stolen.

Your supposed to do private tests with your friends and team you found on trustworthy forums like this place or wc3campaigns or that other forum I forgot the name of. Not do public tests on BNET! that is dangerous and may end up in a similar yet completely different map being put on bnet be4 yours and then everyone thinks your trying to copy of them. No the best choice.

Level 12
I've got a friend that was able to public test, mostly becuase he had a friend add the teams names to all the custom skins and a few other things. Just remeber, if you can protect it, people can hack it just as easy.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
As long as you have the oldest versions circulating to your account name, no one can steal it.

Infact, it is advisable to keep the map open source so people can edit it as one day it may need fixing (like with 1.24 patch) and if you are not playing then, the map will be lost forever while if it is not protected, someone can always fix it for you.

All ownership disputes occur if 2 people release the same map at the same time or if the orignal author never has concrete evidence as to why it is his.

I advise to all map makers to submit an optimized version of finished maps to the maps download section (not optimized and not just protected) while also providing in the comments a link to the unproected version or an older unprotected version (any save systems have to be removed and for popular maps it may be best to not have the newest unprotected avalaible to everyone). This way people can not steal it from you (as you will always be the oldest reference to the map existing) while still allowing them to learn from your map or have fun with it.

On battlenet, remember that you can always host or get bots to host your version, no mater how many fakes that are made.

Still this is my advice, if everyone did this WC3 would have like 100s more good maps but it is not up to me to make people do it, purly point out the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.