• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

cinematic camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
While making a cinematic I came upon the Action:
Play cinematic camera.
Upon searching the web I didn't really find anything useful what I puzzled together was that it#s a camera following a certain path. This would be extremely useful in making smooth camera transitions. Now I'd would like to know what exactly a cinematic camera is and if i can make one myself?

BTW The change camera smoothing factor action does not really work that well for me for transitions even though I tried changing it from 5 to 1000 maybe if someone knows common mistakes for this they could also help me.

Thanks a lot for all your help beforehand.

Level 18
5 and 1000 are wayy to smooth. itll cause lag and is too slow of a transition.

Usually 1.5 smoothing factor or 2 is just enough to make a good smooth camera. however there is more to it then that.

When you apply a camera over 0 seconds, and if the next applied camera is no where near the initial cameras location, you will get a split second jump which is visible from the first camera to the second camera if your smoothing factor is more then 1.0

So because of this its always best to use the camera smoothing when transitioning from one camera which is applied over a long period of time (ie : 10 -20 seconds) to a camera which is also applied over time within the vicinity of the initial camera. For the best results, the cameras should be close to the same angle (ie: 90degrees and 70degrees for both cameras)

Camera smoothing is very good for playing RPG games though. gives a nice feeling to it.

As for the " Play Cinematic Camera" action, im not sure how that works, i never really used it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.