• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chat commands, converting words and numbers into parts of a trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Can anyone here help me figure out how to make a trigger that will, for example, let a player raise or lower land by the specified amount. So say a player said "raise land 300 100"
(the first number being the size and the second being the depth). The trigger would do just that.

Hopfully that makes sense, and I would prefer that you found a normal trigger compared to JASS please. But if you really believe it's impossible with a normal trigger then I'll settle for JASS.

Level 3
I don't know how to do the actual raising of the land, but generally, you can use parts of chat messages entered by using the function of string (Substring(Entered chat string, X, Y) and covert them into integers or reals or whatever by using the Conversion function.

I've created a sample map, it is more clear when shown with the actual triggers, and writing it here would be difficult and difficult to understand.
Download it, open it, read the comments inside and observe the functions :)

Attachments

• testSubstring.w3x
    14.6 KB · Views: 93
Level 5
Thanks very much! I'll try it out.

Edit:

That is very helpful mate, I also wandering if you know how to make it so for example I wanted to create 3 footman by typing in chat "Footman 3". How would I select in the trigger the word before the integer? Note that the word is going to vary in size because I'll be spawning different units.

Thanks a lot.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You should not raise and lower land ingame during a multiplayer match. Mac (apple) computers generally have a problem with the raising and lowering of terrain ingame which has been known and proven in the past to cause them to drop out of sync with windows players over battlenet.

Level 3
I was trying to do the creation script in the past but I gave up, so thanks to you I tried harder and made it :)
It consists of two(well, three) triggers, I think it could be done easier but I don't see a way to do it easier now. Look at the folder "unit creation" and you can test it in-game

Vulcano, that wouldn't work, because when you have a unit type with different length(e.g. Sorceress), then the integer would not be on that spot and the trigger won't work. That's why my trigger consists of two triggers - on for the type, other for the quantity.
Download and try it :)

Attachments

• testSubstring.w3x
    17.2 KB · Views: 80
Level 5
Oh nice one Davefin, I'll try it out.

Edit:

Okay, I tested it. In my game only the first trigger works when I type -u (unit type). But when I type -(number), nothing happens...?

Last edited:
Level 3
Ripper, you need to paste all the triggers PLUS the variables used in it, otherwise the first trigger can't save the unit-type and the second trigger can't load it and use it...
I suggest turning on "auto create variables when pasting triggers" option in the word editor preferences, it makes pasting triggers easier.

You can try Purges stringFind, I am afraid to start with Jass :D

Level 13
Here's how you find the space that divides the integer from the name of the caster:

First you create an integer variable. We'll call it i. Set both to 1 if you're using GUI, 0 and 1 if you're doing the non BJ in JASS/Custom Script.

Now, create a loop. Inside that loop set i and i to go up by 1. The loop should stop when i gets too big (Say greater than the StringLength) or when the SubString of i, i is " ", or a simple space. This will find the first space dividing the Footman from the space. Now, everything from 1 to i-1, i-1 will be the unit. Everything after i+1, i+1 to the StringLength will be the number amount.

I hope that made some sense. I'll show you how it works in JASS, but I'm afraid I dislike GUI too much to work in it. Still it's completely possible in GUI.

JASS:
        set i1 = 1
        set i2 = 2
        loop
            exitwhen i2 > StringLength(str) or SubString(str, i2-1, i2) == " "
            set i2 = i2 + 1
        endloop

After this loop runs it's course you just save the substring between 1 and i-1 as the UnitName of the string and i+1 to the StringLength as the integer.

I hope I helped :D This is part of the Roleplay map I am working on. It's similar to SotDRP but closer to QuatreDan in style.

Level 3
Titanhex, does it work even when the unit-type has space inside? (for example Druid of the Talon)?

Status
Not open for further replies.