• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Changing Idle Worker Icon; Transfering changes of one map to another; Adding Glows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello, new to this site. Have some World Editor queries:

How do you change the idle worker icon?

Is it possible to move all the changes you've made from a map to another existing map?

How do you add a hero glow without editing a model? I know it has something to do with triggers mimicking the effect.

Level 12
Change the icon of the worker's icon. Peasant icon? Change it to something else.

Yes. It's called exporting and importing unit data and scripts. Copying terrain, doodads, etc.

You download aura.mdl and attach it to the origin of their unit. Then you refresh the color of that player.

Level 2
Not the worker icon, the idle worker icon which comes on screen when your worker is not working. Don't know how to change that. The worker icon works properly but it does not govern the idle worker icon.

You download aura.mdl

Where do I find that?

Thanks so far.

Level 12
I'd go diving into the MPQ for the icon, personally.

You can find it for download on hive, I believe. Just search for aura under the model section.

Level 2
This is probably not possible to do the way I'd like then. In the game interface there is only one choice for idle worker and it uses the peon icon, which makes all races show their idle worker icon properly. When I change it, all races see the icon that I've changed it to. It's most likely 'hardwired' into the BTNPeon.blp and isn't editable through the World Editor. Thanks for heading me in the right direction though.

Yes. It's called exporting and importing unit data and scripts. Copying terrain, doodads, etc.

This still seems painstakingly slow, maybe I'm understanding it wrong. Do I have to copy things one at a time and then export/move them to another map, or can I move it all in one shebang?

Last edited:
Level 12
Well, you can replace the worker icon by importing another icon and setting the same file path, as the worker icon you want to replace. This will allow you to create 4 different icons, one for each race.

You can move all triggers at one time ( Trigger editor - File - Export Triggers; then import them in the other map). By importing triggers to another map, you will overwrite any triggers that map already has.
There is a similar way to export/import object editor data, but it also replaces any changes you already made in the new map.

Level 2
Well, you can replace the worker icon by importing another icon and setting the same file path, as the worker icon you want to replace. This will allow you to create 4 different icons, one for each race.

The problem is, as I mentioned above, that there is only one file path that seems to work for all 4 idle worker icons. Though it is entitled
'Icon - Idle Worker Peon'
and its path is
'ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNPeon.blp'
it seems to have all 4 different icons 'hardwired' into that one path. If I change it, I change them all.

As for your second answer: that was easy! thanks!

I still cannot find that hero glow file that Vegavek mentioned.

Level 12
That's not exactly what i ment. If you look in object editor, the worker units have their icons in separate files like all other units do (and i believe the game uses all of them for the idle icon, not just the Peon one):
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNAcolyte.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNPeasant.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNWisp.blp
So what i ment was replacing these textures by importing your own, don't care what the custom interface says.

EDIT: Just tried that out with the filepaths above, it works.

Level 2
Where in the Object Editor do you find these files? Or do you mean just in the Art - Icon - Game Interface? I have already changed the worker icon to the one I want and it does not affect the idle worker icon.

EDIT: Wait, I think I see the problem. I am trying to use an in game icon, not an imported one. Is there a way to export an in game icon file? I could override it that way.

Last edited:
Level 12
Here's the model.

Just make an ability with this model attached to origin. Add it to the unit and remember to refresh the color of the player on the units with the aura.

And like I said :p mpq diving!

Attachments

• Aura.mdl
    1.8 KB · Views: 126
Level 2
i downloaded the model, add to my hero by (a unit skill - (attribute bonus based)) in origin. But the glow NOT appear. Can someone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.