• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Change Warcraft 3 Models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I want to change Warcraft 3 models, using MPQ, replacing the original models so I can play with the models I wanted in other maps hahaha... Thanks.
Impossible for safe multiplayer play outside of LAN. The damage might be detected as a hacking attempt and get your CDKey banned and it also might expose you to an increased risk of game splits (where you get dropped from a multiplayer session due to falling out of synchronisy).

Now that you are aware of the risks and if you still want to do it.
1. Download a good MPQ editor. mpqediten is the one I recommend as it is regually maintained, efficient and reliable.
2. Open the appropate mpq archives (I advise inserting all models into the patch MPQ to avoid them getting overwritten by changes from the expansion or a patch).
3. Add your models i nthe appropiate paths, deleting the content that is already there if any.
4. Compact the archive.
5. Play with your models.

It is advisible to do this to the actual map file over your WC3 data files for safety reasons. Do remember that if you damage your WC3 installation (such as by following the above instructions) you must restore to backup data files or reinstall before playing multiplayer outside of LAN as otherwise you face the liklyhood of constant game splits and even getting banned. Be aware that the splits will also be present in LAN but that is not my concern (only your friends playing with you at or near your home will complain).

Status
Not open for further replies.