• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Change how research requirements are displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Kind of a weird request, but here goes:

In Starcraft, when you haven't yet researched an ability, say Psionic Storm, when you hover over the icon, the tooltip says

Psionic Storm:
Research at Templar Archives

But, in Warcraft 3, the equivalent is always something like

Ensnare
Requires:
-Ensnare

Since I think the first option is more user-friendly, especially if I create an altered melee with custom techtrees, I would like the display work like that. I'd rather see

Ensnare:
Research at Bestiary

Is there any good way to do this?

One idea I had, but haven't tried yet, is to create an upgrade called Research at Bestiary and have that be the requirement for Ensnare. Then I'd make a trigger along the lines of

• When a player researches Ensnare
  • Research Research at Bestiary for that player
Then I still see the correct tooltip at the Bestiary, but the tooltip on the Raider would say

Ensnare
Requires:
-Research at Bestiary

Having to do this for every single ability would be tedious, and might even make the map run slowly in multiplayer, so is there any other way?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

You can make a dummy unit as requirement and name it 'Research at bestiary'. After the research, you remove that dummy unit.

Level 4
I would be creating the dummy unit after the research and leaving it around for the remainder of the game then. Removing it would mean I don't have it and therefore I wouldn't be able to cast the spell that requires it.

That could work, although it has the same problem as my own idea: needing trigger for every single spell research. That might be the only way to do it.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Not really, you can index researches, can't you ? Then you can remove the corresponding dummy = One trigger
Works for your idea, too.

Level 4
Actually, there is another way I just thought of. I can just name the research "Research Ensnare at Bestiary." Because the tooltip doesn't display the name, it displays what I tell it to in the "Text - Tooltip" field. The only time the name is displayed is if you hover over the icon while the research is going (i.e., to cancel it). This should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.