• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

CERN: Particle Faster than Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
But from what I heard, something that's moving faster than the speed of light would... Go back into time. :O

Level 22
I know that I know nothing about the physics but if something moves faster than the light shouldnt it go unseen as the light cant catch it?

Light can still hit the object and then bounce off. For example if the object moves towards the light source. However, it cannot be seen if the object moves away from the light source, as the light won't be able to hit the back part of the object and then bounce back to your eyes.

Level 17
I know that I know nothing about the physics but if something moves faster than the light shouldnt it go unseen as the light cant catch it?

We can't essentially "see" a neutrino regardless, its beam is detected with massive instruments.

Also, I doubt this will pan out into anything mildly significant for two reasons;

1. Einstein has been tested again and again, he has always been right.

2. Relativity and the theories surrounding the speed of light were thought experiments, not measurements. They were later proved with practical experiments.

My point being that without a foundation behind "why" neutrinos are supposedly travelling faster than the speed of light, the measurements we're getting might as well be scribbles. AFAIK it wasn't a dedicated experiment with the purpose of actually finding out if neutrinos can travel faster than light, so there's no real back drop to it.

It'll probably turn out to be some measurement or reading error.

Level 5
My point being that without a foundation behind "why" neutrinos are supposedly travelling faster than the speed of light, the measurements we're getting might as well be scribbles.

There is a bit of physics outside of the standard model that predicts the violation of Lorentz invariance under certain circumstances.

This is not a case of "bad data". At least not yet. Right now, it's a case of weird data. I'm sure people are busy trying to reproduce the result. Time will tell.

Level 7
As mentioned prior, theoretically, and according to the theory of relativity, a particle faster than light would be travelling backwards in the stream of time. Particle and theoretical physicists have put the theory of relativity to the test many times, and it has always checked out as correct. I believe a careful examination of the data collected and the scientific instruments should be in order - there's no way you can declare this a new, consolidated find on a first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.