• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Censoring dialogue in campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, I have a question.
I am currently writing the dialogue for my campaign and am having problems with choosing the right words to do so.
The thing I'm having quite a bit of trouble with is what words to use and don't use.
My campaign has a typical fantasy setting and for example, there are several bandit mini Bosses that are abusive towards their subordinates, as expected of a bandit. but I don't know what vocabulary is and isn't a bad taste. I know that using the F word is definitely a no-no, but is it ok for him to be calling them for example bastards?
I'm not all that creative when it comes to insults that could make it in a fantasy setting and aren't offputting for the person playing the campaign. So yeah, could use some help.
Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Level 20
If you want to go for some sort of a in-between approach, i.e. use swearing and insults, but avoid the most hardcore terms, these should be fine. Disclaimer: I'm putting them in a completely random order, I trust you know the meaning and use of these words or able to look it up.

bastard, mongrel, damn (-ed sb), prick, screw (you), scumbag, wretch, cur, rascal, scoundrel, swine, weasel, miscreant, dirtbag, jerk, scum, halfwit, bootlicker, etc.

Also, these are some examples. If you want more, simply put in "<word> synonym" in a google search and just go from there. Moreover, you can also combine various words to create your own insults, some examples:

son of a swine, spawn of a goat, misbegotten wretch, dirty rat, no-good scallywag, kiss an elf (coming from a dwarf in a setting where dwarves hate elves), etc.

You will find some more ideas here:

Fantasy insults - no swearing allowed! [Archive] - Absolute Write Water Cooler

Last edited:
Level 3
If you want to go for some sort of a in-between approach, i.e. use swearing and insults, but avoid the most hardcore terms, these should be fine. Disclaimer: I'm putting them in a completely random order, I trust you know the meaning and use of these words or able to look it up.

bastard, mongrel, damn (-ed sb), prick, screw (you), scumbag, wretch, cur, rascal, scoundrel, swine, weasel, miscreant, dirtbag, jerk, scum, halfwit, bootlicker, etc.

Also, these are some examples. If you want more, simply put in "<word> synonym" in a google search and just go from there. Moreover, you can also combine various words to create your own insults, some examples:

son of a swine, spawn of a goat, misbegotten wretch, dirty rat, no-good scallywag, kiss an elf (coming from a dwarf in a setting where dwarves hate elves), etc.

You will find some more ideas here:

Fantasy insults - no swearing allowed! [Archive] - Absolute Write Water Cooler
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.