• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Casting Abilities on Random Targets....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I tried to check over the previous posts but nothing caught my eye that might help. I am currently trying to create an ability that triggers through the casting of a Frost Bolt. Basically, the ability works as such, once the target has been cast upon the trigger (or triggers) relating to it gerenates a region around that target. Then, using a dummy, other Frost Bolts are then fired at random enemies that happen to be in that region. My problem is trying to make the built in trigger system recognize the freshly generated region. Again this isn't meant to refer to a premade region on the map. I'm trying to make and remake a sizable region around the target of the spell each time it's cast. I hope this isn't confusing. And I'm hoping someone else can give me some pointers on getting it to work. Thank you in advance.

Haha, you've got the right idea, your just going about it wrong.
  • bleh
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Remove all units from FrostGroup01
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 512.00 of (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) matching (((Owner of (Matching unit)) is an enemy of (Owner of (Casting unit))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit Group - Add (Picked unit) to FrostGroup01
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Infantry for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Targeted unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral - Firebolt (Random unit from FrostGroup01)
          • Wait 0.01 game-time seconds
          • Unit - Remove (Last created unit) from the game
      • Unit Group - Remove all units from FrostGroup01
That one will allow for targets to be hit multiple times, dont have time, gtg, gl

Level 2
Thank you both Big Dub and Day-Elven. Ultimately I had to increase the wait time to let the dummy have enough time to use the ability, but that shouldn't be of any consequence even if I use more than one dummy later on as the skill gets stronger because I can use the same unit group (after clearing it) to select the unit type of the dummies around the cast to remove them from the map. Thanks again.

Day-Elven you are correct, You dont need to clear it twice, it was simply a precausion that was not needed. BUT! I think it would look cooler if you did make the next frost attack from the person who got hit, as I said I did not have time and could not explain it all the way. Im not so good at covering leaks, so yea listen to him on that one.

You have the right idea with the dummies, and increasing the wait could get very annoying with alot of dummie. I would prefer to do it like you say, putting them into a group then deleting them afterwards. I didnt have time last night. And make sure you get ALL the dummies, they have a strange way of staying there. Just to make sure you dont drive players mad, give the dummy units 0 sight radius and make them dont appear on mini map, just in case. Its so annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.